Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2014 3:24:18 PM EDT
WTF? Obama gets the opening segment for the series? Really...the guy who made it his mission to kill NASA...  What was the purpose in that? Is Neil deGrasse another "I'm an O supporter b/c he is black." How can a real scientist connect his image with Zero?

Obama looks at the military, NASA and every other budget and says "Man, I can be using that money to buy votes. Why do we need to explore space anyway?"
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, I missed the premier, and I'm a little ticked at myself for doing so.

This is the only video that I've come across in the past where NDT makes a statement regarding (and perhaps underscoring his beliefs with regard to) politics. Ultimately, I think one of his final statements to the effect that politics doesn't beling in science is pretty fundamental to the integrity of science, but it is an unavoidable burden since that tends to be the motivating factor for funding.

Fuck Obama.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, I missed the premier, and I'm a little ticked at myself for doing so.

This is the only video that I've come across in the past where NDT makes a statement regarding (and perhaps underscoring his beliefs with regard to) politics. Ultimately, I think one of his final statements to the effect that politics doesn't beling in science is pretty fundamental to the integrity of science, but it is an unavoidable burden since that tends to be the motivating factor for funding.

Fuck Obama.

http://youtu.be/x7Q8UvJ1wvk
View Quote

You didn't miss much with the first episode. But if you have comcast you can watch it on demand..
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

WTF? Obama gets the opening segment for the series? Really...the guy who made it his mission to kill NASA...  What was the purpose in that? Is Neil deGrasse another "I'm an O supporter b/c he is black." How can a real scientist connect his image with Zero?

Obama looks at the military, NASA and every other budget and says "Man, I can be using that money to buy votes. Why do we need to explore space anyway?"
View Quote
SOOO Glad I didn't get sucked in to watching that, more so now.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I was extremely disappointed with the whole show. Turned it off 45 min in. I'm also not a fan of NdGT.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was extremely disappointed with the whole show. Turned it off 45 min in. I'm also not a fan of NdGT.
View Quote

Why?
If this is truly the science forum, you'll appreciate my question.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I'm not sure I can give you a good answer. Maybes it's his incredible love of Obama. I think he's a decent scientist, at least from what I've heard. Seems to not be a dick like Michio Kaku. I don't know... Just something about him.

Eta I assume you were asking why I'm not a fan...
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I can give you a good answer. Maybes it's his incredible love of Obama. I think he's a decent scientist, at least from what I've heard. Seems to not be a dick like Michio Kaku. I don't know... Just something about him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

His incredible love of Obama? He has been very, very vocally critical of NASA budget cuts and bailouts. I can show several videos as evidence. What makes you think he's an Obama lover?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Is there an issue with the Cosmos series? Is the science behind it flawed? Is it because he's black?!

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

His incredible love of Obama? He has been very, very vocally critical of NASA budget cuts and bailouts. I can show several videos as evidence. What makes you think he's an Obama lover?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Multiple selfies with him is a start. He may have been critical about the budget but so was just about everyone else in science.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is there an issue with the Cosmos series? Is the science behind it flawed? Is it because he's black?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Not sure if serious
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Not sure if serious

Yes I'm serious. Unless his science sucks, which has not been proven, then what other reason for your dislike?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes I'm serious. Unless his science sucks, which has not been proven, then what other reason for your dislike?
View Quote

Did you even read what I wrote?  Or do you typically jump straight to racism?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
the series is probably not going to be very entertaining for someone who's avatar is particle collisions...

It's geared towards kids, and non sciency folks to get more participation and get a conversation started. Towards that end, I think the reboot does a wonderful job.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#14]
About the show, so far what I have seen it is just a love fest celebrating Carl Sagan and a re-hash of all the Universe shows from the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Multiple selfies with him is a start. He may have been critical about the budget but so was just about everyone else in science.
View Quote

I see one. I tried googling more, but can only come up with one picture of him and Obama. Taking a picture with the president does not mean you worship the man. After all, he IS still the president. Only an individual that truly hated him would pass on that.

He has even publicly stated that he believes Republicans are more pro-science than Democrats, at least fiscally. I've never heard him make any mention of Obama's name, or really politics in general, outside of that one direct question he was asked.

He took one picture with a sitting US President, and suddenly he's a worshipper?

The only thing this proves is that he isn't a basement dwelling arfcommer that stews in hatred of Obama. I'd bet good money he simply doesn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It reminded me of a 3rd grade class science film. It was terrible.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm fairly certain that's the demographic they're going for. Not the seasoned, college educated, viewer. I still enjoyed it for the visuals.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm fairly certain that's the demographic they're going for. Not the seasoned, college educated, viewer. I still enjoyed it for the visuals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a little irony b/c I remember watching the original Cosmos just about the time that I was in 3rd grade. Belongs on PBS, not FOX.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the show fine. I am a fan of the original and have been very interested in how the new one was going to do and where it was going to go. Carl Sagan's Cosmos is what started my interest in physics and astronomy in the first place. I encourage my kids to watch it with me hoping they absorb some of it. For my enjoyment, the show isn't teaching me anything new, it's just nice to see a program on TV that isnt a bunch of old drunk, over-tanned, plastic surgery nightmares bitching at each other and stabbing themselves in the back all the time, or some other trailer trash group doing stupid shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like the show fine. I am a fan of the original and have been very interested in how the new one was going to do and where it was going to go. Carl Sagan's Cosmos is what started my interest in physics and astronomy in the first place. I encourage my kids to watch it with me hoping they absorb some of it. For my enjoyment, the show isn't teaching me anything new, it's just nice to see a program on TV that isnt a bunch of old drunk, over-tanned, plastic surgery nightmares bitching at each other and stabbing themselves in the back all the time, or some other trailer trash group doing stupid shit.
View Quote

It's the first time I've been excited to watch a TV show in a long time.

But American Idol and Real Housewives OMG
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
His goal is the same as Nye's, get people interested in Science.  Want that next iPhone or a more efficient car? We need more science interest in the population as a whole, this goes for dem and repubs kids.

I applaud both their efforts, especially Nye's attempt to show how ridiculous Ham and his ilk are.  It's not just dogma that's keeping people away from science, it's the trend of being stupid is being cool that's affected pretty much all 3 cultures in America.  It's no longer a goal to be the next Howard Hughes or Tony Stark.  Ballin' and gamin is where it's at.
View Quote

I agree entirely.  I'm too young to have seen Sagan's Cosmos, but instead I had Bill Nye.  I may not agree with some of his political views, but he did a wonderful job inspiring a generation of children to enjoy and understand the fundamentals of science. I plan on re-watching his series with my son when he is old enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#24]
My kids can sit and play video games for hours if I let them, but if I drag out my 10" dobsonian telescope they will come out when I have something like Jupiter in the scope and look real quick, say "cool" and then walk back inside. When I was a kid I was glued to my telescope. Things like that always just amazed me. I hope they can find that same passion in science I had/have so maybe the new Cosmos series may help.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes - necro thread is necro, but has anyone seen DM1975 around within the last year? I fear he may now be exploring the cosmos first-hand...
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the series is probably not going to be very entertaining for someone who's avatar is particle collisions...

It's geared towards kids, and non sciency folks to get more participation and get a conversation started. Towards that end, I think the reboot does a wonderful job.
View Quote

This.

I have watched it multiple times on Netflix.  The cartoon presentations are geared toward the lawmen and kids but the science presented is solid with a lot of science history.  

I enjoy listening to NDT.  His Startalk Podcast is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top