Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2014 7:48:01 PM EDT
Spools of guy wire comes in 100 meter lengths. I need to determine how many spools and which lengths from each spool.
The dimensions are in feet. There is a total of 20 guy wires, 4 sets of 5.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget to add some length for attaching the ends, maybe 4' for each length just to be sure.

I usually cut the longer lengths first and then cut the shorter ones from what's left on each spool but you can waste a lot that way.

For the optimal cuts from each spool with the least amount of waste, Google "one dimensional cutting stock problem".  There are formulas and calculators online that will do what you ask.  I'd find the solution and show you how but I'm tired and heading to bed soon.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont try to put that thing up on a windy day it is a pain in the ass , concrete a base in the ground about 3 ft.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget to add some length for attaching the ends, maybe 4' for each length just to be sure.

I usually cut the longer lengths first and then cut the shorter ones from what's left on each spool but you can waste a lot that way.

For the optimal cuts from each spool with the least amount of waste, Google "one dimensional cutting stock problem".  There are formulas and calculators online that will do what you ask.  I'd find the solution and show you how but I'm tired and heading to bed soon.  
View Quote

OHHHHH my head hurts!

That's some Sheldon and Leonard shit. Tried reading Wikipedia and I am cross eyed now. Found a scientific paper that explained it with pictures and links to free software. Will post answer tomorrow afternoon. Too late to start cyphering now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dont try to put that thing up on a windy day it is a pain in the ass , concrete a base in the ground about 3 ft.
View Quote

I am making a tilt up bracket for the mast. It is based off ones they use for large vertical antennas.

I put one up years ago standing on an 8 foot step ladder. After about the 3 section you can feel the burn. That was with one of the biggest TV antennas you could get at the time and a rotor. This time no off center loads so I can tilt it up with the right cable rigging to prevent bending. Too old to be a brute now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Short answer 4 100m spools.  If you were able to cut all lengths from one spool, the total length of wire (given the dims in the picture and not accounting for any extra) is 1084 ft or ~ 330 m. Therefore one needs 4 100m spools.  One can easily get all the lengths for one side from one spool also.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Member, Friday the 13th
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"  K. Moss
You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...
Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Short answer 4 100m spools.  If you were able to cut all lengths from one spool, the total length of wire (given the dims in the picture and not accounting for any extra) is 1084 ft or ~ 330 m. Therefore one needs 4 100m spools.  One can easily get all the lengths for one side from one spool also.

Member, Friday the 13th
View Quote

Thanks Sometimes the best answer is the simplest. It was too obvious. I have had my head wrapped up in too many details at one time. Dealing with rated strengths, termination methods, and ground anchoring.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Short answer 4 100m spools.  If you were able to cut all lengths from one spool, the total length of wire (given the dims in the picture and not accounting for any extra) is 1084 ft or ~ 330 m. Therefore one needs 4 100m spools. One can easily get all the lengths for one side from one spool also.

Member, Friday the 13th
View Quote

That's a very, very poor way to figure this. If wires could be joined, it MAY be a more accurate observation, but I wouldn't want joints in my guy wires. You are correct, however. 4 100m spools will do you fine, with some leftovers. It can't be done with 3.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a very, very poor way to figure this. If wires could be joined, it MAY be a more accurate observation, but I wouldn't want joints in my guy wires. You are correct, however. 4 100m spools will do you fine, with some leftovers. It can't be done with 3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Short answer 4 100m spools.  If you were able to cut all lengths from one spool, the total length of wire (given the dims in the picture and not accounting for any extra) is 1084 ft or ~ 330 m. Therefore one needs 4 100m spools. One can easily get all the lengths for one side from one spool also.

Member, Friday the 13th

I don't think he means/assumed that the lengths will be joined from two separate spools to make one guy wire. I believe he was just summing all guy wire lengths to understand how much wire is needed. I think the answer is perfect. Optimization of each spool is not needed in this case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top