Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2014 1:49:24 AM EDT
I was listening to a pod cast from a physicist/nutritionist that I follow and he had this guy on as a guest. Dr. D'Agostino, I forget his first name. He talked for about an hour on why he felt though his research that cancer was a metabolic disorder dealing with the mitochondria instead of a genetic disorder. It seemed to make sense to me, but all of my biology schooling was public and  I wanted you guys opinions on this matter. The article goes on about a keto genic diet but that' besides the point.

The link

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Cancer is definitely caused by genetic anomalies. Mutations in oncogenes or DNA repair pathways drive the cancer, and passenger mutations allow the cancer to proliferate and evade the immune system.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cancer is definitely caused by genetic anomalies. Mutations in oncogenes or DNA repair pathways drive the cancer, and passenger mutations allow the cancer to proliferate and evade the immune system.

View Quote

I grasp that but I found it interesting that when healthy mitochondria replace cancerous mitochondria in cancerous cells those oncogenes are then switched off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dude's a squirrel

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola#HIV_and_AIDS

edit no offense but two seconds on google shows that this guy is a dangerous idiot

View Quote

And like many of them, there is a grain of truth, which many people take to mean he is wholly correct. Mitochondria are responsible for "programmed cell death" (apoptosis) and play a part in regulating the proliferation of cells, both of which are part of the problems with cancer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude's a squirrel

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola#HIV_and_AIDS

edit no offense but two seconds on google shows that this guy is a dangerous idiot

View Quote

Dr, Mercola appears to be a clown. I was more concerned with Dr. D'Agostino who worked with the navy while researching seizures from hypoxia that some divers got from staying down too long and not decompressing properly. That then turned into ways he saw to treat cancer using ketones via a carb restricted diet and hyperbaric therapy on top of traditional chemo/radiation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I understand like 60% of that...

"Mutations in oncogenes or DNA" (Gotcha....)

"repair pathways drive the cancer"...huh?

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cancer mutations can generally be subdivided into 2 categories: driver and passenger.

Driver mutations are thought to be the ones most responsible for the cancer pathology.

A mutation in an oncogene will cause a cell to divide uncontrollably. This leads to cancer.

A mutation in a gene that encodes DNA repair/replication proteins will lead to a rapid accumulation of other mutations (that might eventually hit a oncogene or other growth gene).

A passenger mutation is one that is not directly involved with the spreading/growth of the tumor itself. Sometimes, a passenger mutation is completely silent, and has nothing to do with the cancer progression. Sometimes, the passenger mutation allows the cancer to metastasize faster or to evade immunosurveillance.

But back to the original topic: cancers can have metabolic side effects, and may even originate in some cases due to mutations in mitochondria or other metabolic pathways. However, to characterize it as a metabolic disorder rather than a genetic one is a gross misconception IMO.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cancer mutations can generally be subdivided into 2 categories: driver and passenger.

Driver mutations are thought to be the ones most responsible for the cancer pathology.

A mutation in an oncogene will cause a cell to divide uncontrollably. This leads to cancer.

A mutation in a gene that encodes DNA repair/replication proteins will lead to a rapid accumulation of other mutations (that might eventually hit a oncogene or other growth gene).

A passenger mutation is one that is not directly involved with the spreading/growth of the tumor itself. Sometimes, a passenger mutation is completely silent, and has nothing to do with the cancer progression. Sometimes, the passenger mutation allows the cancer to metastasize faster or to evade immunosurveillance.

But back to the original topic: cancers can have metabolic side effects, and may even originate in some cases due to mutations in mitochondria or other metabolic pathways. However, to characterize it as a metabolic disorder rather than a genetic one is a gross misconception IMO.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me of some idiot who I heard on Coast to Coast AM.  I like to listen to that show for laughs when I have an early morning drive to the airport, but this one time I was so pissed off I was yelling at my radio.  Some "doctor" was on the show claiming that cancer is actually just the body's way of getting rid of toxins, and Chemo is what actually kills cancer patients.  He advocated treating cancer only with diet.  

People like that REALLY piss me if off.  It's one thing to have a controversial theory that has some scientific support behind it.  Spouting quackery like that is irresponsible, though.  I wonder how many people die because they listen to these morons out of desperation.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Other than his recommendation of a paleo type diet, that guy is the most insanely idiotic person I'm aware of that has the title "Dr"
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This - I am not a scientist, but I did spend a week in some REALLY cool training, and part of it was a health physicist on radio-isotopes.  I learned just enough about radiation exposure and long term cancer risk to 100% believe that is in no way metabolic.  I can't re-teach the stuff, but based on how radiation harms cells at the genetic level, and those cells then become cancerous ("then" can be 50 years later, too, not immediate).

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Does it have a component, likely but not as a cause.  These people also believe ph of the blood causes cancer, or at least the ones I have listened to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How in heaven's name did you find this thread?
View Quote

lol, I know, it's been gone for a while.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How in heaven's name did you find this thread?
View Quote
Shhh...word has it...he's the one who found Bin Laden, too....

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
am i correct in my understanding that cancer cells are just empty shells, just a cell wall and nothing inside, thats why they cant be "killed" and have to be cut out? because part of the body is coded wrongly and just continuously produces these empty cells.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
am i correct in my understanding that cancer cells are just empty shells, just a cell wall and nothing inside, thats why they cant be "killed" and have to be cut out? because part of the body is coded wrongly and just continuously produces these empty cells.
View Quote

from listening to dr agostino and not the quack on the website, but the actual doctor on the podcast which is a researcher who worked with navy seals and other govt entities. He said that he thought cancer was a metabolic disorder because you could take a cell that had the genes turned on but put a good mitochondria in it and it wouldn't turn into cancer but then do the same with a bad mitochondria and the cell would become cancerous. I am paraphrasing, but ultimately the doctor said that his studies have shown that if you have cancer and under go traditional treatment, if you would couple that with a ketogenic diet and hyperbaric chamber treatment he said that the cancer treatment become exponentially more effective. It has to do with cancer cells using sugar/carbs as it's primary source of fuel and that cancer cells really cannot process ketones as energy. Couple that with hyperbaric treatment where the cancer cells become infused with more O2 and it really gives the cancer cells a hard time to continues to grow and survive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

most definitely not. Cancer cells still have fully functional organelles and an occupied cytoplasm just like any other cell. Otherwise, these cells wouldn't be able to replicate. There will be some anomalies with proteins due to mutations in cancer cells however, that either keeps the protein in an always ON configuration, causes it to not work at all, works hyper/hypoactively, etc.

Also point of correction, mammalian cells don't have cell walls, we have plasma membranes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

from listening to dr agostino and not the quack on the website, but the actual doctor on the podcast which is a researcher who worked with navy seals and other govt entities. He said that he thought cancer was a metabolic disorder because you could take a cell that had the genes turned on but put a good mitochondria in it and it wouldn't turn into cancer but then do the same with a bad mitochondria and the cell would become cancerous. I am paraphrasing, but ultimately the doctor said that his studies have shown that if you have cancer and under go traditional treatment, if you would couple that with a ketogenic diet and hyperbaric chamber treatment he said that the cancer treatment become exponentially more effective. It has to do with cancer cells using sugar/carbs as it's primary source of fuel and that cancer cells really cannot process ketones as energy. Couple that with hyperbaric treatment where the cancer cells become infused with more O2 and it really gives the cancer cells a hard time to continues to grow and survive.

View Quote

Mitochondrial fusion and fission take place as part of the cell cycle. Cells must produce more mitochondria before division, otherwise the daughter cells would find themselves with 1/2 the original mitochondria, and so forth. The genes encoding for proteins in your mitochondria are half inside the mitochondria itself (presumably leftover from the original archaebacteria where the organelle originated from), and half within your nucleic DNA. Presumably, the theory would be, if the mitochondrial DNA is corrupted somehow, it would cause that set of mitochondria to divide within the cell, and trigger a sensor within the cell to divide itself. And thus become cancerous. Interesting idea, never heard of it before.

Also, researcher who works with seals/other govt entities (unless it's the NIH/NCI) doesn't carry much weight. Trust academic researchers. (like your's truly )

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mitochondrial fusion and fission take place as part of the cell cycle. Cells must produce more mitochondria before division, otherwise the daughter cells would find themselves with 1/2 the original mitochondria, and so forth. The genes encoding for proteins in your mitochondria are half inside the mitochondria itself (presumably leftover from the original archaebacteria where the organelle originated from), and half within your nucleic DNA. Presumably, the theory would be, if the mitochondrial DNA is corrupted somehow, it would cause that set of mitochondria to divide within the cell, and trigger a sensor within the cell to divide itself. And thus become cancerous. Interesting idea, never heard of it before.

Also, researcher who works with seals/other govt entities (unless it's the NIH/NCI) doesn't carry much weight. Trust academic researchers. (like your's truly )

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if USF is a big enough school or not, but that's where he works.

Bio

Throughout his life and career, Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D., a neuroscience, molecular pharmacology, and physiology researcher, has maintained involvement in a vast array of professional, academic, and personal endeavors, attaining a high degree of achievement in each of his pursuits. As an Assistant Professor at the University of South Florida since 2008, D’Agostino teaches students of the Morsani College of Medicine and the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, with a focus on such topics as neuropharmacology, medical biochemistry, cell metabolism, and signaling. In his capacities as a researcher, Dominic D’Agostino enjoys support from the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Department of Defense (DoD), the Alzheimer’s Association, and other entities for investigations into oxygen toxicity, ketogenic diets, cancer, and metabolic/neuroprotective strategies.
With a wide range of research interests, Dominic D’Agostino holds membership in the Aerospace Medical Association, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society, Society of Neuroscience, and the American Physiological Society, additionally serving on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Applied Physiology and as a Reviewer for several other scholarly publications. Before joining the faculty at USF, D’Agostino completed a postdoctoral fellowship in molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University, as well as a fellowship in neuroscience at Boonshoft School of Medicine at Wright State University. A graduate of Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and Rutgers University, Dominic D’Agostino earned his Ph.D. and B.S. from these respective institutions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Bio
View All Quotes

Bio
Throughout his life and career, Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D., a neuroscience, molecular pharmacology, and physiology researcher, has maintained involvement in a vast array of professional, academic, and personal endeavors, attaining a high degree of achievement in each of his pursuits. As an Assistant Professor at the University of South Florida since 2008, D’Agostino teaches students of the Morsani College of Medicine and the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, with a focus on such topics as neuropharmacology, medical biochemistry, cell metabolism, and signaling. In his capacities as a researcher, Dominic D’Agostino enjoys support from the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Department of Defense (DoD), the Alzheimer’s Association, and other entities for investigations into oxygen toxicity, ketogenic diets, cancer, and metabolic/neuroprotective strategies.

With a wide range of research interests, Dominic D’Agostino holds membership in the Aerospace Medical Association, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society, Society of Neuroscience, and the American Physiological Society, additionally serving on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Applied Physiology and as a Reviewer for several other scholarly publications. Before joining the faculty at USF, D’Agostino completed a postdoctoral fellowship in molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University, as well as a fellowship in neuroscience at Boonshoft School of Medicine at Wright State University. A graduate of Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and Rutgers University, Dominic D’Agostino earned his Ph.D. and B.S. from these respective institutions.

looks like a legit academic researcher :P All those things with the DoD/ONR etc just say where he gets his funding from. My lab/research also gets some DoD funding for pathogen research etc

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

looks like a legit academic researcher :P All those things with the DoD/ON etc just say where he gets his funding from. My lab/research also gets some DoD funding for pathogen research etc

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bio

looks like a legit academic researcher :P All those things with the DoD/ON etc just say where he gets his funding from. My lab/research also gets some DoD funding for pathogen research etc

Makes sense, research is expensive and someone needs to foot the bill. There was a podcast on him talking about his research projects.

Link to podcast

It is an hour long and does a much better job than I can at explaining his research .
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well that settles it. it must be true.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mentioned the seals because it is what led him to discover how the cancer cells react to hyperbaric treatment.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#26]

2012 Metabolism, Diet, & Disease Conference in DC.  

"It's genetic" is a copout.  Of course it's genetic.  But not JUST genetic.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2012 Metabolism, Diet, & Disease Conference in DC.  

"It's genetic" is a copout.  Of course it's genetic.  But not JUST genetic.  

View Quote

Since obesity is usually seen with insulin resistance and the body causing more insulin to be released to knock down blood sugar I can definitely see how the big insulin releases could be putting your body in a pro cancerous cell state.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread is like a tumor, everytime you think it's dead, it comes back roarin
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep... I think that's the case. I can give some more details when I am in front of a key board and not an iPad.

My dad was mentioned in this article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-battle-over-a-cancer-pill/article1086088/?page=all

He outlived his prognosis by a year. He died of something complete unrelated. His rumors at death were smaller than they were at diagnosis.

DCA was his only treatment.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#30]
to everyone who thought I was a complete moron. This study shows how deranged mitochondria transport cancerous DNA to healthy cells, Therefore if you put cancer cells in an environment where cells are super oxygeniated and use fat for energy and not glucose, and use traditional chemo treatments, prognosis of cancers should be a lot better.

Link to paper
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
to everyone who thought I was a complete moron. This study shows how deranged mitochondria transport cancerous DNA to healthy cells, Therefore if you put cancer cells in an environment where cells are super oxygeniated and use fat for energy and not glucose, and use traditional chemo treatments, prognosis of cancers should be a lot better.

Link to paper
View Quote

You are reading way to much into a very limited paper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to paper

It may not show it from the abstract, but the research shows that the tumorous cells are able to transport the cancerous mitochondrial dna to the health cells via a tube and that's how the surrounding cells turn cancerous also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#33]
nvm
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#34]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Question: do you have the expertise to actually make sense of this paper?

Do you know the difference between a cell line tumor versus an in vivo generated tumor versus a immuno-depleted versus ad nausem tumor?

Do you know what exactly a mtDNA deficient host cell is, and the adverse effects? Do you know if that is a reliable prediction model?
View Quote

no not my field, that's why I posted it, possibly you and others have the expertise and could make light of the information. Cellular processes fascinate me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
PDF link to full article posted by midcap.

Alright, let me break the paper down:

They have a cancerous cell line, that is immortal. These cells will grow indefinitely in an incubator, and if implanted into a host (mouse), it is expected that these cell lines will form a tumor. They then modified that cell line, by deleting all of its mitochondrial DNA. They found that even if you delete the mtDNA, the cell line once implanted will still grow into a tumor, albeit at a slower rate than the unaltered cell line. This isn't that surprising, considering cells without mtDNA can make/use far less energy than intact cells; and cellular division (hallmark of tumors) requires lots of energy.

Once these mtDNA deficient cell lines have been transplanted into a mouse, and form a tumor, they find that these cells can acquire mtDNA from surrounding host tissue. While interesting, this isn't that surprising since we've known for a long time that cells absorb components from their environment to do all sorts of stuff. Once these mtDNA deficient cells acquire new mtDNA, they are now once again fast growing tumor lines. Lots of biochemical/energetics studies follow.

Take home message: not what you wanted.

kudos for finding a primary research article in a respectable journal though. The power of Google... Just remember though- primary research papers are not meant to be understandable by the general population. They're highly specialized papers with lots of jargon and technical caveats. Reading the abstract, or intro sections are more likely to mislead than inform.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top