Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 4:07:05 PM EDT
Any patent agents on the forum?

I am wrapping up my BS in Electrical Engineering and considering studying and taking the exam. How much does it cost?

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I was an agent before I went to law school.

Look here and you'll find information about the exam and cost.  If memory serves correctly the cost for the actually test (not administered by the PTO) is about $250 and the various PTO fees are about $300.  The expensive part is prep class.  I took PLI and I think it was about $2,500.  My firm paid for everything and it's been awhile since I took the exam so I don't remember the exact costs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't even attempt to take the patent bar without a prep course.  Have you thought about working for the PTO?  They have positions open right now at usajobs.com.  It's rated one of the best places to work in the government.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't even attempt to take the patent bar without a prep course.  Have you thought about working for the PTO?  They have positions open right now at usajobs.com.  It's rated one of the best places to work in the government.
View Quote

I work for the .gov now at Federally Funded Research and Development Center. I am interested in getting into our tech transfer department and I believe a detailed understanding of patent law would help, and passing the bar would show some competence in that area to my employer.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Understand.  It does cost money, but I would suggest a patent bar review course.  The MPEP is a behemoth to study on your own. You could get a head start by reviewing MPEP chapters 0200-0400, 0600, 0700, 1300 and 2100.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Understand.  It does cost money, but I would suggest a patent bar review course.  The MPEP is a behemoth to study on your own. You could get a head start by reviewing MPEP chapters 0200-0400, 0600, 0700, 1300 and 2100.
View Quote

Add chapter 1800 too.  A friend is taking the test soon and her review course has told her (and people how have taken the test recently) that the PCT stuff is being testing more heavily than before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top