Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2013 5:33:05 PM EDT
I know how you turn mass into energy (atomic bomb), but how do you turn energy into mass?

Googled it and got different answers that didn't really make sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
We don't know how to do it in any practical sense yet.  Not even much in theory, either.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Fewshun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Expanding foam.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My computer screen sends photons of hot nekkid women to my eyes, and I gain some mass in muh pantz...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ever seen a plant?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
this

equals this.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The answer is.... We really don't know what mass is, so the question is currently unanswerable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Create an electron/positron pair?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Star Trek Replicator.

Earl Grey, hot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure. I'm guessing that entropy makes it extremely difficult.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure. I'm guessing that entropy makes it extremely difficult.
View Quote

That annoying c^2 factor is what makes it hard.

It takes a HUGE amount of energy to make measurable mass.

It occurs in particle accelerators, but the mass is infinitesimal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I split atoms for a living (Senior Reactor Operator at a nuke plant near Pittsburgh).

When we split atoms, a lot of energy is released, of course, and some of it takes the form of high energy photons.

When those high energy photons pass near large nuclei in the core, IE Uranium atoms or other large fission products, a phenomenon called "pair production" can occur, where a positron (anti-matter) and an electron (matter) are created. Those typically quickly annihilate each other, though, so as has been pointed out, it is neither easy nor practical to create matter from energy.

But simply, yes, we can create matter from energy, in places like nuclear reactors and particle accelerators.

Hope that helps.

Justin
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Particle colliders. m^2 = e^2 - P^2
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote

Just do not expect to use any typical scale to weigh the mass.

It is usually inferred from a particle detector.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

eV FTW
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Photosynthesis.  So easy a plant can do it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  A plant only uses energy to convert chemicals into other compounds.  It does not create mass, nor destroy mass in the process.  It only converts its chemical form.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Photosynthesis is a chemical process, not a nuclear process.

No mass is created, just simple chemical reactions, albeit driven by photons.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Big bang. So theoretically, incredible energy density in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
As mentioned previously, colliding particles in a high energy accelerator.  The reason for accelerating particles to high energy levels is to provide a lot of kinetic energy in addition to the rest energy of the particles for the creation of new particles when two collide. Because of the c**2 factor in Einstein's equation it takes a lot of e to get any appreciable m.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]
You speed it up to c
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#23]
What is energy?

I can't touch it, feel it, taste it, smell it, hold it. So does it exist outside of mass? Even the smallest subatomic particles contain mass, correct?

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is energy?

I can't touch it, feel it, taste it, smell it, hold it. So does it exist outside of mass? Even the smallest subatomic particles contain mass, correct?

View Quote

Depends on what you mean by mass.
Photons have momentum (m * v) but a 'rest mass' of zero.
That is why they can move at the speed of light.
The momentum is inferred since even photons can be 'bent' by gravity (path altered).
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The momentum is inferred since even photons can be 'bent' by gravity (path altered).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is energy?

I can't touch it smell it, taste it, smell it, hold it. So does it exist outside of mass? Even the smallest subatomic particles contain mass, correct?

I see the connection but it is all a matter of perspective.

My view is simple, if an outside force can act on an object of any kind, even a photon, & cause a change in vector, it has to have some amount of mass, however infinitesimaly minute. Just because we can not quantify it in relative terms doesn't mean it doesn't have mass. In the grand scheme of the expansivenes of the universe could a hydrogen atom be considered to have a substantial amount of mass? But a simple look at a star gives an exuberant "yes" to that question. It is like adding up five pounds of feathers...

As to the original question: Energy is an entropic function. So to me that means it exists in a state of decomposition. Mass' s decomposition is that of the entropic loss of energy. Subatomic structure relies on entropic exchange of energy.

The real question is where does the energy, with its infinitesimaly small amount of mass,  "Go"? From that destination can mass be then possibly created?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, no particles are created, but the resulting compounds do in fact weigh (a VERY tiny bit) more than they did before the reaction.  For that matter, accelerating a particle will increase its mass, which is one reason it would take infinite energy to accelerate anything to the speed of light.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Technically, no particles are created, but the resulting compounds do in fact weigh (a VERY tiny bit) more than they did before the reaction.  For that matter, accelerating a particle will increase its mass, which is one reason it would take infinite energy to accelerate anything to the speed of light.

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike

You could make the same claim about ANY motion increasing mass.
It is meaningless.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
All reality is collective thought-consciousness manifested.  Namaste.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You speed it up to c
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My view is simple, if an outside force can act on an object of any kind, even a photon, & cause a change in vector, it has to have some amount of mass, however infinitesimaly minute. Just because we can not quantify it in relative terms doesn't mean it doesn't have mass. In the grand scheme of the expansivenes of the universe could a hydrogen atom be considered to have a substantial amount of mass? But a simple look at a star gives an exuberant "yes" to that question. It is like adding up five pounds of feathers...

As to the original question: Energy is an entropic function. So to me that means it exists in a state of decomposition. Mass' s decomposition is that of the entropic loss of energy. Subatomic structure relies on entropic exchange of energy.

The real question is where does the energy, with its infinitesimaly small amount of mass,  "Go"? From that destination can mass be then possibly created?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is energy?

I can't touch it smell it, taste it, smell it, hold it. So does it exist outside of mass? Even the smallest subatomic particles contain mass, correct?

No.  A photon cannot have ANY "mass" and still travel at the speed of light - it's fundamental to the equations of General Relativity (or special?  It's been a while.)  It's not a matter of scale, but of definition.

If you want to say that photons have some *property* that allows them to be affected by forces, sure.  But it's not mass.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]
There's another thread somewhere on arfcom about a blue glow that occasionally happens in nuclear reactors - some sort of radiation. The posters of that thread said it happens because in water, electrons move faster than light. which I simply don't understand either in concept or mechanism as to how they'd be propelled and why water - one would think a vaccuum would allow for quicker motion rather than a liquid medium....

Sort of spooked me given Genesis "the spirit hovered over the waters and God said, let there be light..."
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There's another thread somewhere on arfcom about a blue glow that occasionally happens in nuclear reactors - some sort of radiation. The posters of that thread said it happens because in water, electrons move faster than light. which I simply don't understand either in concept or mechanism as to how they'd be propelled and why water - one would think a vaccuum would allow for quicker motion rather than a liquid medium....

Sort of spooked me given Genesis "the spirit hovered over the waters and God said, let there be light..."
View Quote

Cerenkov radiation.
When a particle moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (like water) it slows down.
It is never faster than the actual speed of light (c) just faster in THAT material.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#34]
ARFCOM physicists, please review.

At the event horizon of a black hole, all matter is accelerated to c.  As such, its kinetic energy is turned into infinite mass.  It remains motionless, relative to our frame of reference, and only when the black hole evaporates does it disappear from our universe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At the event horizon of a black hole, all matter is accelerated to c.  As such, its kinetic energy is turned into infinite mass.  It remains motionless, relative to our frame of reference, and only when the black hole evaporates does it disappear from our universe.
View Quote

It isn't and can't be accelerated to c - infinite mass would have infinite energy.  The event horizon is simply the point at which the escape velocity reaches c, preventing anything, even light, from escaping from a point "below" the horizon.  Matter falling into the event horizon would reach it at some velocity less than c, and "excess" energy radiated off (EM radiation, such as X rays).

Mike
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It isn't and can't be accelerated to c - infinite mass would have infinite energy.  The event horizon is simply the point at which the escape velocity reaches c, preventing anything, even light, from escaping from a point "below" the horizon.  Matter falling into the event horizon would reach it at some velocity less than c, and "excess" energy radiated off (EM radiation, such as X rays).

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

So  matter is preserved and simply added to the overall mass of the black hole?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I split atoms for a living (Senior Reactor Operator at a nuke plant near Pittsburgh).

When we split atoms, a lot of energy is released, of course, and some of it takes the form of high energy photons.

When those high energy photons pass near large nuclei in the core, IE Uranium atoms or other large fission products, a phenomenon called "pair production" can occur, where a positron (anti-matter) and an electron (matter) are created. Those typically quickly annihilate each other, though, so as has been pointed out, it is neither easy nor practical to create matter from energy.

But simply, yes, we can create matter from energy, in places like nuclear reactors and particle accelerators.

Hope that helps.

Justin
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike

Maybe, but it is referred to as a 'singularity' since normal equations we use blow up.
Think divide by zero problems.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#40]
A black hole would convert energy to mass. Energy is basically a very tiny particle traveling along like a que ball and when that energy particle impacts a larger particle such as an electron it transfers some momentum to the particle that was struck. The electron speeds up or is knocked out of orbitting the nucleus. The energy particle maybe gets absorbed by the particle it struck (due to its minute physical mass would not register on a scale as an increase in the electron's mass) and or the energy particle changes its wave length ( spin if you will) and was deflected or caused  new smaller energy particle to be kicked out from the electron and the new particle appears as a shift in wavelength to reflect the change in mass between the 2 energy particles. This is my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Chemical binding energy also corresponds to a mass deficit (but a much smaller one than nuclear binding energy).  

If you break apart a chemical compound (by applying, e.g. energy from a heat source), you are creating a tiny amount of mass.  The free atoms will have slightly more mass than the compound itself.  Don't try to measure it on your reloading scale, though.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chemical binding energy also corresponds to a mass deficit (but a much smaller one than nuclear binding energy).  

If you break apart a chemical compound (by applying, e.g. energy from a heat source), you are creating a tiny amount of mass.  The free atoms will have slightly more mass than the compound itself.  Don't try to measure it on your reloading scale, though.  

View Quote

I am thinking that the increase in the mass is due to the energy particles being absorbed by the atoms some where either by bonding with proton/neutron/electrons or some other particle.  Maybe the energy particles themselves are captured in an orbit around the atom somehow/somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
The universe already did that for you 14 billion years ago
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Get drunk and pee into a Klein bottle.  You'll get a real mess.  Oh, wait; you said mass, not mess.  Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:13:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Particles smaller than electrons are witchcraft.

^ Chemist.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You speed it up to c
View Quote

^2, though if you accelerate a mass it gains mass as you near light speed IIRC so you CANNOT break the speed of light as energy required to accelerate the object increases exponentially as the object near c. So if you could take an object with mass and accelerate it to light speed it would be infinatly heavy. IE infinite mass being obtained from infinite energy. though you have used all the energy EVER to accelerate to c.. interesting question. ill ask Q next time I see him...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fewshun.
View Quote

Not.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]
that's what the god particle does, Provides the lattice work for energy to attach to become matter.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Double-tap        

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No.  A photon cannot have ANY "mass" and still travel at the speed of light - it's fundamental to the equations of General Relativity (or special?  It's been a while.)  It's not a matter of scale, but of definition.

If you want to say that photons have some *property* that allows them to be affected by forces, sure.  But it's not mass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is energy?

Then what is that "property"?

I am having a hard time not seeing how the equivalent of a grain of sand in a million pound bag of sand has no mass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top