Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2013 4:06:22 AM EDT
The following image was posted in GD.  

The OP is wondering about problem #9.  It's from a 4th grade math class.

Everybody agrees that the first "is" is a typo.  

My contention is that there is no pattern--there is exactly one number that satisfies the problem as written.  x=3x-1.  Therefore, x=1/2.  There is no pattern, and no fourth number.

A couple of other people are arguing in favor of a sequence defined by and then picking what would be the fourth element in either or .

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Duh

Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Full disclaimer: My bias against this type of math stems from the fact that I did not learn math like this.

Having said that, wtf kind of problem is that. I saw that thread, and those were the most unclear, poorly written questions I've ever seen, next to the old voting tests. I clicked out of it before I got teh AIDS from GD math
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you are right that the problem does not distinguish between the number and any previous or subsequent numbers.  That said, I'm sure the intent is to find the next number in a sequence.  Were that the case, a starting number should also be provided, but maybe the students are supposed to start with their own number.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like an elementary math question--I would start with 1.

2, 5, 14, 41, 122, 365...
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The correct answer is clearly food stamps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The new national standard "Common Core" will cover that:

Mathematics » Grade 4 »

In Grade 4, instructional time should focus on three critical areas: (1) developing understanding and fluency with multi-digit multiplication, and developing understanding of dividing to find quotients involving multi-digit dividends; (2) developing an understanding of fraction equivalence, addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators, and multiplication of fractions by whole numbers; (3) understanding that geometric figures can be analyzed and classified based on their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry.
View Quote

Common Core math - grade 4
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My contention is that there is no pattern--there is exactly one number that satisfies the problem as written.  x=3x-1.  Therefore, x=1/2.  There is no pattern, and no fourth number.

Thoughts?
View Quote

4th grade is early for algebra.

Explain the word "each", which implies more than one number I.e. a pattern.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

I agree, which is why I think the question is fucked up.  In fourth grade, you should be learning that math is precise.  There is a right and wrong answer.  They failed to write the question in a way that allows for the existence of a pattern.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree, which is why I think the question is fucked up.  In fourth grade, you should be learning that math is precise.  There is a right and wrong answer.  They failed to write the question in a way that allows for the existence of a pattern.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

I agree.  That's what happens when math geeks try to express themselves verbally or in writing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is how I read it:

Number   Formula  Answer
0              0*3-1       -1
1              1*3-1        2
2              2*3-1        5
3              3*3-1       8
4              4*3-1        11
5              5*3-1        14
6              6*3-1        17

Since they are starting from zero in the other problems, I would say that the 4th number in the pattern is 8

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top