Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2013 1:17:43 PM EDT
I've been out of high school for a good while now and would like to get started in college. Problem is, I haven't used any real complicated math in years and the COMPASS test seems intimidating. What is a good study guide or book I can order to help me out?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the COMPASS test is just a placement test, don't worry about doing well on it. This test is used to place you in the correct math class for your skill level. If I were you, I would review the principle concepts of classes you've already taken (your highest level math from high school, and everything before that), but don't forge in to material you haven't seen before. Review to, "knock the rust off," so to say, before the test.

This is one test that you don't want to do TOO well on, lest you wind up in a class that's over your head. That's nothing but trouble and frustration, speaking from experience.
Ideally, you wind up in a class that's suited to you, where you're familiar with the prerequisite material, and you're learning new stuff, and it's challenging. If you doubt your own ability in that class, go to the class before it. You'll get an A and have a rock-solid foundation of material for the next class

After reviewing a couple of the COMPASS review sites, it appears one of the most comprehensive and straightforward is mycompasstest.com. You can read more about the test, and select individual topics you need to review.

Good for you for going back to school! Best decision I ever made
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I took it a few years ago  for your exact reasons.  Mine was combined English and math.  The english part was just editing, I think.

The math part was pretty gravy because it is multiple choice.  I actually took it a few times as part of an at-your-own-pace math class in order to skip through the gravy algebra so I could get up to trig and calculus.

At the end of my first semester of working on intro and intermediate algebra and then glancing at trig, I qualified into calc.  I damn well knew I wasn't ready, so I took precalc as a class before moving on.  So IME, the COMPASS test inflated my scores, so to speak.  the last time I took it, I even covered up the multiple choice answers with a 1/4 sheet of paper while working the problems.  I didn't score any worse, but I also hate mult choice math tests.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is one test that you don't want to do TOO well on, lest you wind up in a class that's over your head.

This.  If you study too much for the math portion, you might do well on it, but not really understand the material.  It happened to me.  I tested into Calculus when I went back, but had never taken a trig class.  I started in on the calculus and on the first day the prof gave a "pre-calc" test which I failed spectacularly.  The prof pulled me aside the next class, gave me a pre-calc book and told me I'd need to study that material for an extra 5-6 hours a week if I hoped to pass the class.  I did, but it would have been easier to start out with a pre-calc class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top