Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2013 2:20:58 PM EDT
I'll be brief:

I have to take a summer class.  It has to be Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus or Diff. Eq.

Is one better to take before the others?

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Which ever one you feel you can do in a shorter summer session and make the best grade.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Algebra.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I knocked my linear algebra out during summer school working full time. It was a piece of cake, even easier if you have a ti89 to check your answers.
It will probably make your calc easier, no effect on ODE.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Alright.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you at VT? I'm not sure how summer math classes are run, are they online or in class? I found linear algebra to be easiest, but you can't use a calculator in any. If its a class at the Math Empo, you can use the 4 function on the computer, though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Of those three, I did best in multivariable calc. It's really a personal preference. I struggled a bit in linear algebra, but others had the opposite experience. There's no easy answer here.

All I will tell you is don't take real analysis over the summer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you at VT? I'm not sure how summer math classes are run, are they online or in class? I found linear algebra to be easiest, but you can't use a calculator in any. If its a class at the Math Empo, you can use the 4 function on the computer, though.

I'm taking the class from a community college (I'm a cheapskate) and it will be online.  I had to register last night and I chose Vector Calculus (Multivariable).
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm taking the class from a community college (I'm a cheapskate) and it will be online.  I had to register last night and I chose Vector Calculus (Multivariable).

Good luck! Multi wasn't too bad, I didn't think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have advised algebra. I thought it was the easiest of the 3. Easier to swallow up in 8 weeks, that is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Kind of off topic, but you are doing mechanical engineering aren't you?  My school doesn't require linear algebra for mechanical; it would be interesting if yours does.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would do linear Algebra, also... but if you aren't good at math, these are not good summer classes.

ETA: That said, Difficult Equations is usually a terminal class for most people, with nothing beyond it... I would not take any of these if you are ever going to take them as a Pre-requisite for another class.  IMO, you just don't learn as much in an abbreviated summer class as you do in a normal session...
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kind of off topic, but you are doing mechanical engineering aren't you?  My school doesn't require linear algebra for mechanical; it would be interesting if yours does.

Linear Algebra is required for all engineering majors, science majors and math majors here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would do linear Algebra, also... but if you aren't good at math, these are not good summer classes.

ETA: That said, Difficult Equations is usually a terminal class for most people, with nothing beyond it... I would not take any of these if you are ever going to take them as a Pre-requisite for another class.  IMO, you just don't learn as much in an abbreviated summer class as you do in a normal session...

I am good at math.  My question was more of a which of the three depends more heavily on the other two.  I had a chat with the professor who said that the way she teaches them, in Diff Eq we will use what we learn from Vector (Multivariable).  None of the three is a prerequisite for anything except graduation.  I'm leaving Linear Algebra for last since the general agreement is that it is the easiest of the three.  By then, I'll need a relatively "easy" course to go with three engineering courses and Physics II.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I chose linear algebra to be my, "advanced math," which could have been either linear algebra or a stat class. So technically we do have a requirement beyond ODE, but what is kind of up to you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I chose linear algebra to be my, "advanced math," which could have been either linear algebra or a stat class. So technically we do have a requirement beyond ODE, but what is kind of up to you.

I am not aware of mechanical engineering degrees that don't require linear algebra. Maybe it goes by a different name?
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not aware of mechanical engineering degrees that don't require linear algebra. Maybe it goes by a different name?

Here is the course requirements for my school's ME program.

EDIT:  I just looked and apparently AME 301 and 302 are linear algebra classes taught by the engineering department.  Damn, that sucks.  I wonder if they let students take it through the math department or if we have to go through AME to get the lab component.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh you probably would rather have it through the engineering department rather than the math department.  The math department at my school has a seething hatred for all non-math majors who take their classes.  I'd like to see the sciences get their own math department, like calculus for science majors.  I know my school got rid of linear algebra in favor of an engineering class called linear systems.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linear Algebra is not required by ABET, at least for mechanical. Multivariable calc and ODE are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top