Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:12:36 PM EDT
I'm somewhat familiar with Babbitt material and can easily find specs giving the composition of the various grades, except for Grade 19 that is. The only thing I find in all the charts is that 19 was discontinued in 1959. I've come across two 10 pound ingots of it and am curious as to what it's exact makeup is.

From the looks of it, I believe is one of the tin based as opposed to lead based ones. The info on the bar is ASTM B23-49 Grade 19. Anyone familiar with what is apparently a 50+ year old ingot?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing of grade 19, but I bet the folks at Rotometals do.  You could contact them and ask.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know nothing of grade 19, but I bet the folks at Rotometals do.  You could contact them and ask.

Thanks, I'll shoot them an email.

ETA:They replied saying they had no idea and to try Google.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
numbers 4,5,6,10,11,12,16, and 19 were discontinued in 1959

You need an OLD standard document.

There has to be one out there somewhere since it was ASTM.

Try ASTM.

the may let you have a copy that old for free.
ASTM B23-49 babbitt Grade 19
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
numbers 4,5,6,10,11,12,16, and 19 were discontinued in 1959

You need an OLD standard document.

There has to be one out there somewhere since it was ASTM.

Try ASTM.

the may let you have a copy that old for free.
ASTM B23-49 babbitt Grade 19

A retired engineer on another forum had an old manual of some type dated 1964. The specs for Grade 19 were listed as 86% lead, 9% Antimony, 5% Tin.

ETA: I was obviously wrong about it being tin based, and since the price was right, I bought both ingots due to the composition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top