Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2013 12:41:50 PM EDT
I think there needs to be a sticky in this section that includes some shooter calcs. I do not know them (came here to find them). Somebody should answer these in a new thread and ask the moderator for a sticky:

-Full bullet trajectory calculation that would be in a ballistics calculator (bc, wind, range, muzzle velocity, corriallis effect, etc.)

-how to calculate bullet energy (ftlbs) from mass and velocity.

-mil dot calculations

-equation that predicts how stable a bullet will be based on barrel twist rate and bullet mass (if such a thing exists)

These are just ideas that seem like they would be useful. I would be interested in knowing a lot of these.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of books and info on Google.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not found the one I am most interested in (the one that is in ballistic computers for calculating drop and wind-drift)

The other ones can probably be found, but it seems like the math section of arfcom should be a good place to look at shooting math. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had good luck withEBRinc.net. Good print out of bullet path. Right on the mark when i set up my 308 win at 600 yards...  1 mill is 3.6 inches at 100 yards, looking thriugh the scope at a target  of known size. If the target is 36 x 36 and is  one mill center to center on the dots. the target is 1000 yards away..
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a iPhone or ipad the app named "Ballistic" is vey good.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
check out JBM  - JBM
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
easy if someone would of just told me why it was important to stay away in class while using radians in pre-Calc/Calc AB in HS and then projectile motion in physics 101 I would of never had to have taken the time to relearn a whole years worth of math just to be able to shoot well using and understanding exterior ballistics.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a iPhone or ipad the app named "Ballistic" is vey good.  
View Quote

Ballistic is very good and one of my favorites, if you want something a bit more in depth - Mil-Dot Ballistics is pricier, but more full featured for LR shooting
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Strelok is a good app for free on Android.

You can save several rifle/bullet configurations.  It gives you a customization table and shows you the distance for some preloaded reticles.

If you're asking about what are the formulas, I'd suggest "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz to get started.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id374564265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csOJWPG20Q8

The above links are for "Mil-Dot Ballistics"  app for iPhone.  
The Videos show the range of functions...quite extensive.
Have a look....It may be what you are looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top