Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2012 6:18:17 PM EDT
Fox News

Scientists hoping to detect dark matter deep in a former South Dakota gold mine have taken the last major step before flipping the switch on their painstakingly delicate experiment.

What's regarded as the world's most sensitive dark matter detector was lowered earlier this month into a 70,000-gallon water tank nearly a mile beneath the earth's surface, shrouding it in enough insulation to hopefully isolate dark matter from the cosmic radiation that makes it impossible to detect above ground.

And if all goes as planned, the data that begins flowing could answer age-old questions about the universe and its origins, scientists said Monday.

The search in South Dakota began in 2003 after the Homestake Gold Mine in the Black Hills' Lead, S.D., shuttered for good. Scientists called dibs on the site, and in July, after years of fundraising and planning, the LUX detector moved into the Sanford Underground Research Facility, 4,850 feet below the earth's surface. It took two days to ease the phone booth-sized detector down the once-filthy shaft and walkways that originally opened for mining in 1876 during the Black Hills Gold Rush.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Umbrella Corp...

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
This is now designated Shelter Bravo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Man with so many different ways to end the world next month I just can't pick which one it'll be...

But I'm very excited to stop going to work
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Man with so many different ways to end the world next month I just can't pick which one it'll be...

okay, this one sounds bad in name but is harmless....

these kind of tanks are big dark tubs deep underground the look for flashes of light or radiation from naturally occuring particle collision. Entirely passive.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, this one sounds bad in name but is harmless....

these kind of tanks are big dark tubs deep underground the look for flashes of light or radiation from naturally occuring particle collision. Entirely passive.

So I should go ask for my job back is what you're saying
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The subject of 'dark matter' is the most critical matter before science at this time, with the possible exception of 'dark energy'. We know it's here but we can't see it, and something unknown is accounting for 95% of the mass of the universe. I'd say that's somewhat important! One researcher thinks he has proven it's existence with an experiment in which photons arrived five seconds apart from a super nova. He thinks the later photon was slowed by permutations of dark matter. But the real problem is that if true, it shows that the speed of light may not be absolute, which basically calls for a new physics that allows that rather than the Einsteinian model we now work under. Remember the old 'zero point energy' arguments? We may now be setting the stage for being able to use the limitless energy of the universe. Of course, if that happens, we'll also know how to destroy the universe. I hope it takes a long time to get to that point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#7]
colossal waste of time, money, and effort
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

colossal waste of time, money, and effort

Yeah, 'cause knowing things is stupid.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Knowing what exactly?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Knowing what exactly?

reading is fundamental

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Knowing what exactly?

We can't explain it to you because country music videos haven't quite laid a sufficient foundation in your mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Knowing what exactly?

What dark matter is. Seeing as how it makes up roughly 70% of the universe yet we still have no idea what it is makes me curious. Also how dark matter is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate instead of gradually losing speed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I never watched country music videos before. I don`t like music.

My foundation allows .5 inch vertical dispersion @ 1200 yds.

I retired @ 50.

I will never watch country music videos. I will never like music.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Did somebody say dark energon?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Yay! So. Dak. Is finally on the cutting edge of something!

Link Posted: 8/9/2013 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

allegedly.

it's not proven yet to even exist.  

That's the point of this experiment and the others before them (that failed to find proof of it's existence).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knowing what exactly?

What dark matter is. Seeing as how it makes up roughly 70% of the universe yet we still have no idea what it is makes me curious. Also how dark matter is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate instead of gradually losing speed.

allegedly.

That's the point of this experiment and the others before them (that failed to find proof of it's existence).

Dark matter is hypothesized but something is causing our math to be off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knowing what exactly?

allegedly.

Everything started out as a hypothesis, including gravity.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't see a time frame on how long they think it may take to detect a particle. Are we looking potentially at years?
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: What dark matter is. Seeing as how it makes up roughly 70% of the universe yet we still have no idea what it is makes me curious. Also how dark matter is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate instead of gradually losing speed.
View Quote
allegedly. it's not proven yet to even exist.  

View Quote

View Quote

Right, it's the best possible solution they currently have, in fact it seems to be the only solution I've heard of for what's seen in the universe, has there been any alternate explantations?  The only possible one I remember was.....our math is wrong.
View Quote

Dark matter is not the substance responsible for the acceleration of the universe, rather dark energy is thought to be responsible for that.

According to our understanding of Einstein's theories, all matter warps the space around it and we call this curvature 'gravity'. Gravity isn't a force between two objects (although it obeys the inverse square law) but it's a way of saying that matter bends the coordinate system of space (meaning you cannot travel in straight lines).

Dark matter is hypothesized because there isn't enough ordinary matter to account for the shape of the universe and other large astronomical structures / galaxies. It's not even likely that our math is just wrong; more likely it may be that our understanding of gravity is wrong or incomplete somehow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top