Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2012 5:07:03 AM EDT
As soon as I submitted my application to the Virginia Tech School of Engineering yesterday, I got an email back saying I needed to begin searching for scholarships.  Any ideas on where I could start?  When I search for scholarships I tend to pull up a lot of ads-that-go-no-where, ads for other schools and scholarship services that I would need to pay for

The goods:

I am not a minority
I have a 4.0
I am interested in Electrical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering
I am a woman
The program I am interested in is ABET accredited
I am not native to Virginia
I did not attend high school in Virginia

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't expect to get many scholarships when going to a state school.   You can see if you qualify for any scholarships from The Society of Women Engineers  (SWE).
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think as a female in an engineering program, you'll probably get some bites for scholarships, and the 4.0 should help as well.

Are you still in High School?  My counselor had a bunch of info on potential scholarships that really helped my search.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The goods:

I am not a minority
I have a 4.0
I am a woman

not a minority:  -1,000,000
4.0:                  +100
Engineering:    +1
Woman (+ engineering)  +100,000

Add it all up, not looking good for any free $ your first year. If you do well your freshmen year, there should be some opportunities.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost went to grad school at VA Tech.  It's a beautiful campus and area.  Not sure in the VA Tech realm if being a women makes you a minority.  In engineering it does.  If  you aren't dead set on going to VA Tech, look at other schools that might be more male dominated.  They may have more scholarships for women simply to attract more women.  When I was at GA Tech it was about 73% male so given your stats they would probably throw some money at you to get you to attend.  Not sure about MIT's male/female ration, but I bet it's pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
V Tech's male female ratio is 85:15 and 89:11 in the engineering programs.  Pretty grim.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I'm not still in high school––graduated in 1996.  I have more than 100 college credits and two worthless college degrees.  I would enter Virginia Tech as a Junior.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I would make an appointment with Va Tech's advising department for your major of choice. They will have a list.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure if they have a similar program in VA, but in PA, there is a state grant available for students who are enrolled in science and technology degrees.  It's 3000 dollars a year and the only condition is that you have to reside and work in PA for one year after graduation.  It's not a full ride, but it makes it possible for me to continue my education.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if they have a similar program in VA, but in PA, there is a state grant available for students who are enrolled in science and technology degrees.  It's 3000 dollars a year and the only condition is that you have to reside and work in PA for one year after graduation.  It's not a full ride, but it makes it possible for me to continue my education.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would make an appointment with Va Tech's advising department for your major of choice. They will have a list.

I am a currect Junior in Engineering Science and Mechanics at VT. I'd highly suggest this, as all of the advisers I have spoken to through all of the majors in the College of Engineering have been extremely friendly and helpful. Also don't worry too much about the male:female ratio like others were saying... in all of my classes, it really doesn't seem that drastic to be honest. Granted, that can be different through each major.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  I spoke to an adviser who had some great suggestions regarding scholarship opportunities.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I know The Milwaukee School of Engineering seemed to be bothered by the majority of male students, so they started a nursing school to get some female students.  Pretty sure the female engineering students got lots of grants and scholarships.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:46:16 AM EDT
[#13]

My kids high school counselors said FastWeb was a good place to search.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
You have a pretty reasonable chance, VA Tech loves out of state students because the pay significantly more than in state students.  Be happy that you are not from Northern VA, because the competition is crazy. to get in.

Youngest is a sophomore at Tech in International Studies, best of luck!

Quoted:
As soon as I submitted my application to the Virginia Tech School of Engineering yesterday, I got an email back saying I needed to begin searching for scholarships.  Any ideas on where I could start?  When I search for scholarships I tend to pull up a lot of ads-that-go-no-where, ads for other schools and scholarship services that I would need to pay for

The goods:

I am not a minority
I have a 4.0
I am a woman

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you going to Tech for undergrad or graduate work? You should check with the college of engineering and see what they have to offer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you going to Tech for undergrad or graduate work? You should check with the college of engineering and see what they have to offer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Undergrad work.  Looking for scholarships is a full-time job, but I've actually found quite a few.  

Update:  Got accepted.  Requested an extension on my enrollment date--there are still some classes I can take for less money at a community college.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I attended VA tech many year ago.

the program used to have all engineering students in the same 'General Engineering' classes (ad then 2/3 failed to get an engineering degree) for the first year, ad then you moved to the department you wanted.

May have changed by now though.

I know they split up some of the older 'wash out' courses when they switched from three quarters per year to two semesters per year.

5 hour Statics used to be one of them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the program used to have all engineering students in the same 'General Engineering' classes (ad then 2/3 failed to get an engineering degree) for the first year, ad then you moved to the department you wanted.

I know they split up some of the older 'wash out' courses when they switched from three quarters per year to two semesters per year.

The way they do it now is you choose your intended major (say, aerospace engineering) and take classes in that concentration for one semester, but you are called a general engineering major.  If you do not do well in your concentration the first semester, you are not accepted into that concentration and must choose another (while remaining a general engineering major).  

By the time I get there I will have already taken (some I've already done) all my upper level math, engineering graphics, computer programming for engineers, statics, dynamics, materials, circuit analysis and all my gen-eds.  

The wash-out rate at the school I'm at now is 87% and in my program (Mechanical Engineering) it's 91%.  So sad.  I hardly ever see the same classmates from one semester to the next.  

How did you like Blacksburg?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way they do it now is you choose your intended major (say, aerospace engineering) and take classes in that concentration for one semester, but you are called a general engineering major.  If you do not do well in your concentration the first semester, you are not accepted into that concentration and must choose another (while remaining a general engineering major).  

By the time I get there I will have already taken (some I've already done) all my upper level math, engineering graphics, computer programming for engineers, statics, dynamics, materials, circuit analysis and all my gen-eds.  

The wash-out rate at the school I'm at now is 87% and in my program (Mechanical Engineering) it's 91%.  So sad.  I hardly ever see the same classmates from one semester to the next.  

How did you like Blacksburg?

It was a lot smaller  in the late 1970s to early 1980s (hell, Whitimore only had 2 stories and stairways going into the ceiling for 'future expansion').

They had just discovered the old chem lab drains really did empty into the Duck Pond (the reason the labs where then closed).

Of course the beer drinking age was 18 the.

I still used to hunt in the national forest west of town for many years (drove from NoVA and camped for a week).

There are places it runs from ridge to ridge with very few in-holdings (private property within the national forest).

Go to the next valley past the top of Brush mountain. Turn north.

Major parts of the west wide of Brush Mountain and the east side of the next ridge are all National Forest for many miles north.

I even married a Radford girl the first time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top