BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Computer Science was my first major: two years of COBOL. FORTRAN, and a couple others let me to the conclusion that as a programmer I SUCK!

At that time what I was really interested in was the internet and web pages. (keep in mind this was at a time when a 28.8 modem and 486 processer was considered fast!)

COBOL and FORTRAN were the first languages you learned in a CS curriculum?  That's weird.  Where was the C++ and Java?

Neither had been invented yet.

Fortran 77 was my first high level language as well.

486 cpus were early 90s.

c++ has been around since the 80s.  java was being taught in schools by the mid 90s.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Computer Science was my first major: two years of COBOL. FORTRAN, and a couple others let me to the conclusion that as a programmer I SUCK!
At that time what I was really interested in was the internet and web pages. (keep in mind this was at a time when a 28.8 modem and 486 processer was considered fast!)

COBOL and FORTRAN were the first languages you learned in a CS curriculum?  That's weird.  Where was the C++ and Java?

Neither had been invented yet.

Fortran 77 was my first high level language as well.

486 cpus were early 90s.

c++ has been around since the 80s.  java was being taught in schools by the mid 90s.

Ah well, neither were in any kind of common use, and they weren't being taught in 1989, of that I'm fairly sure, because CS150 & 250 at SMSU were Fortran and Pascal, and the only other language class was C.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Never mind.  I should have read the rest of the thread before posting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never mind.  I should have read the rest of the thread before posting.

lol

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
all ABET accredited B.S. degrees in engineering will require up to differential equations.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
All engineering disciplines are going to require similar "basic" math, which includes Calc 1-3, differential equations, and possibly linear algebra.

Depending on the route you go, civil can have less math than something like EE or ME, but you're still going to have a lot of it.  Whoever above said most people went to Civil from EE because they only have to take statics is dead wrong, at least where I went.  We still had to take statics, mechanics, and at least one course in dynamics.  You can't really be a structural engineer unless you have a sound understanding of dynamics.

Environmental engineering is probably as close as you can get to a math light engineering degree.

FWIW, I have a degree in civil engineering, concentrated in construction management, and have a few credits towards a master's degree.  Somehow I lucked out and ended up doing mining engineering for six months and am now working as a field engineer/company man in the oil and gas industry.

If I were going into college today, I would pursue mechanical, mining, or petroleum engineering.  Mechanical is by far the most versatile, followed by civil probably.  Mining and petroleum is where the dinero is, however a guy could rule the world with a mechanical engineering degree and a minor in electrical engineering.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about CAD (AUTOCAD)  It introduces math on a somewhat gradual basis.  Where I go to school we have a 2 plus 2 program.  Get a 2 year degree in CAD and then move to to a 4 year school and finish an engineering program.  It does have some math classes basic and algebra but it's built around doing CAD.  kwg
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Imaginary Industrial Engineering

Although called "Engineering," it's not really.  In my school, it wasn't even in the College of Engineering.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a marvelous opportunity to return to College to pursuit Engineering; of course there's all sorts of engineering fields, my problem is difficulty with math. (eventually I get it, just have to work extraordinarily hard and often repeat the course)
Which "Engineering" field has the least intensive mathematics requirements?  

P.S. Please don't say "Social Engineering" we have enough of that shit already.

You are basically asking us what AR round you should shoot yourself with to minimize the pain.

Pick the field based on what you enjoy, not what has less math.  Any accredited engineering program is going to bury you in math courses, and it won't end there.  Every course you take is going to basically be a math course focused on a specific application.  It might as well be an application that interests you.

ETA That being said, we always joked that civil engineers were just mechanical engineers that couldn't solve an equation that didn't equal 0 and computer engineers were just electrical engineers that flunked electromagnetics.

<=== EE
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Most places you are going to have to take Phys 1&2 for any engineering, as well as Statics and Dynamics. These all require cal 1,2,3 and Differential Equations.

Most people that have a problem with math because their teachers SUCKED donkey balls and or didn't apply themselves. You have to do problems to get the material. Even with 1/2 way decent teachers they may not teach in a way you can learn.

I've gotten pretty much straight A's in math. Calc 3 was a bitch but that was the instructor trying to flunk the class, forget teaching anything. Anyway, I did all my homework in the math lab, most colleges have them for free. If I had a question they had an answer.

Also I spent a TON of time on Khan's Academy and PatrickJMT (just go to youtube and search them). The net makes learning math way easy compared to the old days. If you can think logically and solve problems in an orderly manner you can do the math. Use RateMyPRofessor.com to check out the profs before taking a class. Some suck and some are really good.

I LEARNED more calc in Statics than I did in any of my calc classes. EVERYTHING in physics relates to calculus, and frankly they should be taught together as ONE class, it makes it MUCH easier to learn. If you have TIME and are taking a calc class, audit a physics class. It will make the calc class much more understandable. Most people just aren't willing to put in the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like your interests line up well with mechanical engineering.  Sure, all the engineering degrees require a lot of math, but don't sweat it.  All you have to do is pass, and by that time the basic stuff that you will actually use in your career will seem much easier to you.  Getting through it the first place will be hard, but that's why not just anyone can be an engineer.  It gets much easier, and more fun, after you graduate.  It's well worth the effort.

I had an epiphany when my statics professor explained that he had gotten a "C" in that class when he took it 30 years earlier.  I had assumed that all my teachers had always been at the top of their classes.  Not so - this guy (who definitely knew his stuff by the time he was teaching) had simply stuck with it.  That's when I realized it was just fine if some of the course work didn't come easy to me.  Good luck with your endeavor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like your interests line up well with mechanical engineering.  Sure, all the engineering degrees require a lot of math, but don't sweat it.  All you have to do is pass, and by that time the basic stuff that you will actually use in your career will seem much easier to you.  Getting through it the first place will be hard, but that's why not just anyone can be an engineer.  It gets much easier, and more fun, after you graduate.  It's well worth the effort.

I had an epiphany when my statics professor explained that he had gotten a "C" in that class when he took it 30 years earlier.  I had assumed that all my teachers had always been at the top of their classes.  Not so - this guy (who definitely knew his stuff by the time he was teaching) had simply stuck with it.  That's when I realized it was just fine if some of the course work didn't come easy to me.  Good luck with your endeavor.

THIS.  I struggled through my math courses and barely passed them.  I also failed system dynamics the first time.  But everything else I was able to visualize and do well in; jet propulsion and orbital mechanics were my favorites.  

Plod through the math; most of it you won't really use again, and the stuff you do use you'll have enough examples in class to really get the hang of it the second time around.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  I struggled through my math courses and barely passed them.  I also failed system dynamics the first time.  But everything else I was able to visualize and do well in; jet propulsion and orbital mechanics were my favorites.  

Plod through the math; most of it you won't really use again, and the stuff you do use you'll have enough examples in class to really get the hang of it the second time around.

Very true.  I took some crazy math in college but I'm fine in my job as long as I don't forget logarithms
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You also might want to look at KHANACADEMY.org to either brush up on some of your past math classes or to get a step up on some of the classes you will be taking.  I am trying to go through the linear algebra set of videos.

http://www.khanacademy.org/
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ABET accredits classical Engineering (BSME, BSEE, etc) as well as Engineering Technology (BSMET, BSEET, etc) programs.  They are accredited to similar but different requirements.  The pure math requirements for Technology programs are significantly less than for classical ebgineering programs and the Technology programs  do not require calculus-based physics in contrast to classical engineering programs. Some of the best schools in the countey offer both ET and classical engineering programs.  Purdue and Texas A&M for example.

The curriculum requirements as well as the schools which offer ET programs are presented at www.abet.org.  Click your way to what you're loking for. You'll find that right now, that ET does not REQUIRE any calculus courses due to a screw-up.  Only two courses beyond college algebra which could be statistics, or linear algebra, or whatever.  That will probably be changed back in the next couple of years.

Data shows the ET starting salaries are compareable with those with classic engineering, with industrial demand also being comparable.  There are some limitations, however, with ET degrees.  Example:  the .gov will NOT hire ET grads into full engeering positions right out of school, and some companies (Boeing for instance) will not hire ET grads into all of their technical departments. Most, but not all.

I very strongly disagree with this. Maybe before the recession this was true. However, employers can be a lot more picky in this economy. I graduated with my BS Mech Engineering last spring. Barely any of the tech majors had jobs lined up before graduation. Almost all the ME, CE, and EE did. Those that did get jobs didn't have as many offers and certainly didn't get the pay.

A lot of companies wouldn't give the tech majors an interview.

In all reality, if you can't do the math (or just don't like it), pick something else. CALC I, II, III, Lin Alg, Diff Q, and Statistics will make you miserable. Not to mention that you will spend 4 years applying the math to different problems at least 60 hours a week. In my job (and those of all my engineering buddies), we still use the math every day. Not so much calculus, but some heavy duty algebra is fairly common.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ABET accredits classical Engineering (BSME, BSEE, etc) as well as Engineering Technology (BSMET, BSEET, etc) programs.  They are accredited to similar but different requirements.  The pure math requirements for Technology programs are significantly less than for classical ebgineering programs and the Technology programs  do not require calculus-based physics in contrast to classical engineering programs. Some of the best schools in the countey offer both ET and classical engineering programs.  Purdue and Texas A&M for example.

The curriculum requirements as well as the schools which offer ET programs are presented at www.abet.org.  Click your way to what you're loking for. You'll find that right now, that ET does not REQUIRE any calculus courses due to a screw-up.  Only two courses beyond college algebra which could be statistics, or linear algebra, or whatever.  That will probably be changed back in the next couple of years.

Data shows the ET starting salaries are compareable with those with classic engineering, with industrial demand also being comparable.  There are some limitations, however, with ET degrees.  Example:  the .gov will NOT hire ET grads into full engeering positions right out of school, and some companies (Boeing for instance) will not hire ET grads into all of their technical departments. Most, but not all.

I very strongly disagree with this. Maybe before the recession this was true. However, employers can be a lot more picky in this economy. I graduated with my BS Mech Engineering last spring. Barely any of the tech majors had jobs lined up before graduation. Almost all the ME, CE, and EE did. Those that did get jobs didn't have as many offers and certainly didn't get the pay.

In all reality, if you can't do the math (or just don't like it), pick something else. CALC I, II, III, Lin Alg, Diff Q, and Statistics will make you miserable. Not to mention that you will spend 4 years applying the math to different problems at least 60 hours a week. In my job (and those of all my engineering buddies), we still use the math every day. Not so much calculus, but some heavy duty algebra is fairly common.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with––most of the statements in my post are public information.  Tech grads are finding job opportunities at salaries competitive with those grads from classical engineering programs––and it's my business to know that information.  There are some limitations, as noted, but grads seem to work around them, and none that I've talked to regret their decision to opt for Tech rather than classical Engineering.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with––most of the statements in my post are public information.  Tech grads are finding job opportunities at salaries competitive with those grads from classical engineering programs––and it's my business to know that information.  There are some limitations, as noted, but grads seem to work around them, and none that I've talked to regret their decision to opt for Tech rather than classical Engineering.

At my school, the data they passed out to students/prospective students was old. They were pre-2008 surveys. The simple fact of the matter is that there are enough unemployed engineers these days that companies can hire real engineers at low enough rates that there is no reason to bring on someone that isn't willing to put in the additional effort to get the real degree.

Again, a lot of companies wouldn't give tech majors an interview. Eastman Chemical, one of the big ones in Longview, Texas where I went to school is one of them. They brought in mediocre engineering students as interns, but wouldn't even consider techs.

MOST of the tech majors (and engineers with low grades and/or couldn't pass the FE Exam) that I know are STILL looking for engineering jobs. I graduated last May. Compare that to those of us that put in the effort to get decent to good grades, found internships with real experience, took and passed the FE Exam, and put out a strong effort in general to get the coveted recommendations of the faculty. We have jobs. We have the cool jobs doing more fun stuff and making more money.

And by the way, all the big companies' recruiting filters sort applicants by GPA. If you want even a tiny chance at getting a real human to read your resume, you have to have one heck of a record. One of my close buddies that graduated #1 in our class applied for a job that he would have excelled at HP , the computer company, as an entry-level engineer doing thermal analysis. He didn't even so much as get a non-computer generated email.

YMMV. Your surveys may disagree. These are just one young engineer's opinions. The jobs are out there, but companies have no reason to settle for anything less than exactly what they want.

PS: I don't claim to be the smartest engineer ever. I don't think I'm smart enough/research oriented enough to go to grad school for engineering. While I would like to get a graduate degree, it will probably be a MBA if/when I go back to school.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
All things considered (rural location, family, job, etc.) I'm electing to return to the 2yr Community College where they teach the same higher math courses, then move up.
I'm aware of persistence, and how things become more familiar with time and application....
The problem with "jumping in with both feet" is sinking to the bottom where you drown.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
from someone that's been in your position:

You'll need focus hard on  algebra and get good at it , and have a solid understanding of trigonometry, and some geometry. Then Calculus I,II,III + differential eq etc..  will become way easier to understand. ,(well maybe not diff. eq  ), Linear algebra is also usually required, (easy),
and guess what?  for any engineering curriculum, (electrical, mechanical, etc..), your going to be using all of this stuff on a regular basis all the way through school with your other courses.  
( you'll soon discover that the math you have to learn is child's play compared to some of the courses your going to be faced with and should be considered the least of your problems + one thing builds on the next.)

I went for AS in EET initially at a tech. school, then went to a community college, then to a major university for Electrical Engineering. And even though I  had a way better understanding  of electronics then 99% of the other students, I still struggled to keep up.
And as all engr. students, I had to take courses outside my major such as  Statics and Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Chem I,II , C++ I,II,, fortran etc..

If you want a technology degree your still going to be required to use plenty of math just less calculus

good luck we are all routing for you
you can do this math stuff if you follow my advice about boning up on your algebra
going to a community college and taking algebra and trigonometry and calc I,II, chem, etc... is a good idea: that's what i did

just make sure the courses transfer

and watch out: community college is way easier than a University
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I kind of know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.  I recently decided to go back to school and I'm working on courses at the local community college then transferring to a local state school in summer 2012.  Is it worth it at all to get an associates degree from the community college in engineering, or should I just kinda blow off those last three classes and transfer without them?  I actually don't need them at the school I am transferring to.  I'm kinda leaning towards no don't take them and save the money, but I thought I would ask. Oh, the courses in question are Chem II, an "Integration of knowledge" class, and a "social perspectives" class.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I kind of know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.  I recently decided to go back to school and I'm working on courses at the local community college then transferring to a local state school in summer 2012.  Is it worth it at all to get an associates degree from the community college in engineering, or should I just kinda blow off those last three classes and transfer without them?  I actually don't need them at the school I am transferring to.  I'm kinda leaning towards no don't take them and save the money, but I thought I would ask. Oh, the courses in question are Chem II, an "Integration of knowledge" class, and a "social perspectives" class.

Seems to me it would depend on whether the three courses would transfer and the credits applied to the new program.  I'd think that the "Chem II" would be required by the four-year program––the other two would/could satisfy elective requirements, and if transferable would be cheaper credits than available at the 4 year school.

Many state 4 year programs have transfer agreements with junior colleges.  Only the registrar and maybe department chair at the 4 year achool could give you a "for sure" answer.  If the courses aren't transferable, taking them just to get the two-year degree wouldn't be worth the trouble or expense in my opinion.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Nevermind, this isn't GD and I'm way out of my lane.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#23]
As an engineer and a manager, I would suggest that if the math scares you...you have two options.  Become a history teacher or get a tutor.

Real engineers take lots of math.  At least those from an ABET accredited program.  Everyone else is just playing an engineer on TV....
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Plan to work your ass off.
Real Engineering is a real college degree.  There is no way around it.  You need to be able to think analytically and that is part of what all that math teaches you to do.  The value of a real engineer is his ability to think analytically.

Unfortunately, too many people call themselves engineers today without having the credentials, thus tainting the profession.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

As an engineer and a manager, I would suggest that if the math scares you...you have two options.  Become a history teacher or get a tutor.

I had one for all my calculus courses, it made the difference.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, too many people call themselves engineers today without having the credentials, thus tainting the profession.

+1

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you considered Engineering Tech degrees? I'm not too sure on the specifics of them, but they are supposed to be a bit easier to obtain.

Yeah they usually drop Cal III and Cal IV.  Still have Algebra, Trig, Lin Algebra and Cal I and probably Cal II.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
As a EE I have to agree that it is pretty heavy in maths, though we do it slightly different over here in terms of class names etc. we covered matrix's, vectors, calculus, differential equations, Laplace, Fourier, Z transforms and so on. Then  they teach you how to apply these techniques to the real world engineering issues which is where it gets to be the most interesting aspect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Dont know what is available in your area or if you're able/willing to move.   Mining Engineering and Geological Engineering often don't require as much math, and if they do the math is spread out over 4 years not in the first two years as prereqs for all your major courses.   Mining Engineering should allow you to get some course work on explosives.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I can tell tou first hand ME is almost all math. First you have math, then you have physics which is applied math, then you have engineering classes which is applied physics. There's no getting around it. Engineering from an educational pov is math.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All engineering disciplines are going to require similar "basic" math, which includes Calc 1-3, differential equations, and possibly linear algebra.

Depending on the route you go, civil can have less math than something like EE or ME, but you're still going to have a lot of it.  Whoever above said most people went to Civil from EE because they only have to take statics is dead wrong, at least where I went.  We still had to take statics, mechanics, and at least one course in dynamics.  You can't really be a structural engineer unless you have a sound understanding of dynamics.

Environmental engineering is probably as close as you can get to a math light engineering degree.

FWIW, I have a degree in civil engineering, concentrated in construction management, and have a few credits towards a master's degree.  Somehow I lucked out and ended up doing mining engineering for six months and am now working as a field engineer/company man in the oil and gas industry.

If I were going into college today, I would pursue mechanical, mining, or petroleum engineering.  Mechanical is by far the most versatile, followed by civil probably.  Mining and petroleum is where the dinero is, however a guy could rule the world with a mechanical engineering degree and a minor in electrical engineering.

I'll attest to that last statement... I did that myself and it was the best decision I made in college re: engineering.  Highly recommend it if you go the ME route.

Helped out immensely in grad school with classes like DSP, embedded control, and mechatronics.  Pays off big time in the end.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You also might want to look at KHANACADEMY.org to either brush up on some of your past math classes or to get a step up on some of the classes you will be taking.  I am trying to go through the linear algebra set of videos.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

That looks like a great resource. Thank you for sharing it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As far as I know ALL engineering requires several years of calculus and matrix manipulation,and general engineering and then it's off to the specialty courses.

I think it's all pretty much the same for math

Yep.

All basic engineering coursework requires two years of calculus, statistics, a year of newtonian mechanics (classical physics), a semester of modern physics (relativity and quantum mechanics), basic chemsitry, plus basic engineering like statics, dynamics, and thermodynamics. Then you get to specialize.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That was pretty common in the 1970s.  The programming classes I took in college were Pascal, Fortran-77, C, Algol-68, APL, LISP, PDP-11 assembly, and a few more that I forgot, but never COBOL or any OO languages, and about 1/2 of them were done on punch cards.  I didn't even have to learn Java until a few years ago for my current job and I never had to learn C++ in depth.

Back to the OP's question.

I would say Software Engineering is (or can be) lightweight on math (note, I didn't say Computer Engineering!).  You're not going to get out of the first couple years worth of college math, but honestly after that, you're pretty much good to go after some statistics.  Some of the math you'll learn will be applied to the problems of software engineering, e.g., queuing theory is just applying algebra to certain problems in certain ways, or defect analysis, no big deal.

The other thing to think about is if that field really has a future.  A lot of software development has been outsourced overseas so you'll be competing for work against people in other countries.  One way to cope with that is to go into management.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#35]
From my MSME education, all engineering curriculum are heavy in math. Since I goofed off in high school math class, I put myself at a great disadvantage. To overcome my self inflicted would, I purchased remedial math work books in algebra and geometry. I also forced myself to work each math homework problem at least three times until the problems seemed easy. I stuck to this regimen until I earned my degree and aced math in the process. Math requires working the problems over and over, The consolation is the more you work the problems, the easier they get. Math, at least for me, is a subject where I have to amp up the homework repetition. Otherwise, I just don't understand it. Most of the other students felt the same way.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't enjoy math? Be a locomotive engineer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a BS ChemE and as a process engineer, rarely use calculus and never differential equations. If you pursue a chemE degree be prepared for some tough math! We used differential equations and had to derive all sorts of stuff in thermo courses. Also in controls you'll use plenty of laplace transforms... which are essentially glorified algebra problems.

Maybe you should look into another STEM degree like biology? Very little math, but maybe a good job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
At my university, there was an engineering program called Engineering Management. It had the same first 2 year requirements (calc 1-3, differential equations, statics, dynamics etc.) then your junior and senior years you did mostly business school related stuff.

It was for the people who wanted "engineering" in their title but couldn't handle the "Real" engineering classes (they got kicked out of the std programs)

Will
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Real engineers like math and physics.  Don't be a poser.  Of course you can flunk out and go environmental.  They apparently don't even use science.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Geologic might be an interesting... better than environmental, and if you like it enough, you can just switch to geology, then petroleum geology, get hired by an oil company, read some well logs or do some geosteering and make bank!  Of course you'd probably need a masters in geology to make anything serious.There's also hydraulic/groundwater but that probably involves a lot of calculus with flow rates, just like petroleum does (ftw!)
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Sometimes going to college simply shows a future employer you have obtained certain credentials/skill set. A person who obtains an engineering degree sometimes goes into management. So even though you will spend countless hours through college crunching theories and validating proofs you may likely not ever see it again. Degreed engineers become, as people have stated on this thread, "social" engineers (managers, supervisors, team leaders).
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't like math?  Stay the heck away from engineering.  Become an RN.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Which "Engineering" field has the least intensive mathematics requirements?

as an ME/EE i would have to say that ChemE is IMHO *probably* the least math intensive HOWEVER you are making a huge tradeoff –– there is a ton more memorization in ChemE.  in any case you are taking 3 semesters of calc, 1 semester of diff-eq, 1 semester of linear algebra, and 1 semester of something else to hose up your GPA.

ar-jedi

No way.  Heat transfer? If you suck at PDEs, you won't make it through heat transfer.  2 semesters of DEs, the P is for Partial.

Swivel Engineering (Civil) and Imaginary (Industrial) Engineering are the weakest in math.  Che, M and E are all the same in the math.

If you're even remotely interested in aero or ocean engineering you can add in vector geometry and vector calc to that list of GPA ballkickers.  

I've heard that Aerospace Engineers need to take tensor calculus.

BS in Chem E, and one class from finishing my MS in Aero.  I would say the statement of ChemE least math intensive is entirely false.  Same math requirements when I was in school as the MEs.  Also, for thermo 2, advanced heat xfer, etc. they were very math intensive.  The fact that in Aero we can treat air as ideal and a single substance gets rid of quite a bit of math.  I think actual higher level math usage in  ChemE was higher than I dealt with in Aero (and the Mech E classes I took as electives).  Maybe because you can't really solve the governing Aero equations, or Mech/Aero is more macro.  I had a harder time in ChemE, but was much younger and really wasn't in to it.  I would think any ME/ChemE/EE or a derivative of will be very math intensive (can't speak for civil or industrial).  

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#44]
As a civil engineer i had to take  the same exact math courses as the mechanical, electrical, computers, etc... engineers but on a daily bases i use nothing more than algebra and maybe once a week ill use some geometry or trig. In my years of work ive never once used calculus.

For me college was 10x harder than the real world and im so glad i stuck it out, honestly there are times i cant believe how much i get paid for what i do haha

Quoted:
Real engineers like math and physics.  Don't be a poser.  Of course you can flunk out and go environmental.  They apparently don't even use science.

Environmental is just civil engineering with a focus on water/wastewater treatment and pollution control. Just like structural or transportation engineers are a subcategory of civil as well.
I dont agree the comment that we dont use math or science, thats certainly not true, however we dont deal with the high end math and typically get a lot more wrapped up in politics especially if you work for or with a organization like the EPA.

Btw, petroleum Engineers are on average the highest paid engineers, there is a lot of money in the oil industry. Their job is kind of a cross between a Geo-technical Engineer and a Hydraulic Engineer, they find locations of oil and natural gas and determine the best methods for extraction.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I tutored math, engineering  and physcal science for a few years and I found that different colleges in my area had very different requirements.
On thing that hold true for most schools. In the second year of study in any heavy science or math study you will have to face a calculus that requires you to master methods of integration.
This was referred to can calc 2 or 3 depending on rf there were 3 or 4 courses total.  The calculus with heavy emphasis on methods of integration will be the ball breaker......

Most engineering students that was out do it on this course.
I tutored it a few years. The class usually started with 40 and ended with 10 to 15.
If you make it through that most schools have a differential equations course. That is another ball breaker but if you made it through calc you will make it throuth diff eq.

Good Luck

"There are people who were not born to be engineers or scientists.  The business school is the next building."   That was a quote from Dr. Pandres. He was a great guy and he was right.

If you fail the calc class on methods of integration the second time and you gave it a good try it is likely you will never pass it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
On thing that hold true for most schools. In the second year of study in any heavy science or math study you will have to face a calculus that requires you to master methods of integration.

Calc 2 at my school.  That's where I am at now and it is kicking my ass.  I think I've gotten u substitution down, but integration by parts just isn't clicking right now.  Trig substitution is tripping me up as well.  I'm by no means a lame brain; this is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn.  Any tips are appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calc 2 at my school.  That's where I am at now and it is kicking my ass.  I think I've gotten u substitution down, but integration by parts just isn't clicking right now.  Trig substitution is tripping me up as well.  I'm by no means a lame brain; this is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn.  Any tips are appreciated.

Just practice a shitload of problems.  Integration by parts and trig subs aren't really "difficult", the mechanics are just a pain.

Any time a trig sub comes up in subsequent courses, there is literally an audible sigh from the room, so don't beat yourself up too much.  They're annoying, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just practice a shitload of problems.  Integration by parts and trig subs aren't really "difficult", the mechanics are just a pain.

Any time a trig sub comes up in subsequent courses, there is literally an audible sigh from the room, so don't beat yourself up too much.  They're annoying, plain and simple.

Truth

Same goes for partial fraction decomposition. I still hate those things

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember the LIATE rule. uv - (int)vdu

Pick your u from the first letter encountered in LIATE, the other function is dv. Differentiate u, integrate dv, and plug in to uv - (int)vdu. If you did it right (and assuming it's not a ridiculous problem that makes you do this several times ), then your (int)vdu shouldn't be a terrible integral.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember the LIATE rule. uv - (int)vdu

Pick your u from the first letter encountered in LIATE, the other function is dv. Differentiate u, integrate dv, and plug in to uv - (int)vdu. If you did it right (and assuming it's not a ridiculous problem that makes you do this several times ), then your (int)vdu shouldn't be a terrible integral.

Never learned LIATE.  What does it stand for?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top