Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
so after seeing the other day that someone in an Instant Pot FB group was able to make Polenta in an instant pot in about 9 minutes, I was thinking that I would want to make either a shrimp n grits or crawfish n grits with polenta since pretty much polenta is a finer ground yellow corn grit. so far ive picked up the trinity from the local store, and im thinking chicken stock for the polenta with a possible addition of some milk or cream, and ive got tony chacherie Cajun seasoning in the pantry, and a possibility of diced Andouille sausage for fat/flavor. I wanted to see what variations yall have to see if I can tweak my recipe for the better since im just a FL guy making Cajun food.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad used to do salmon and grits....good stuff
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't do grits any way you fix them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Shrimp and grits

Quaker oats grits (Costco) simmered in chicken stock for 20 minutes or so.  Let's say 1 cup grits 2-4 cups boullion.  When it's thickened a bit I add a cup of heavy cream... another 20 -30 minutes then add 1 stick butter.  Soon thereafter I add 8oz or so of shredded cheddar.  Keep it warm until it's thin mashed potato consistency.  At this point I add a pound or so of thawed raw shrimp...  or whatever seafood you like.  Sometimes I do sausage or whatever.  The part I like is the grits.  Thick, salty, cheesy buttery..... MMMMM
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Cuz you suck

Grits n catfish is great.  My favorite is grits n breakfast sausage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I cook the grits with chicken stock, seasoning, heavy cream and parmesan cheese.  I lightly coat the shrimp in seasoned fine corn meal and sauté them so there's just a hint of a crust to them, they aren't breaded.  Then I plate them together.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The night before I peel the shrimp and fry the shells in a little oil until they get all cooked through.

Deglaze pot with white wine and add water, celery, bay leaf, garlic, and onion to the pot.

Simmer for a while until it reduces a little and you have a nice aromatic shrimp stock and then refrigerate over night.

The next day cook grits to your liking.  I use yellow grits and cook them for hours adding water and stirring regularly.

The longer you cook the grits the creamier the texture and more flavorful they become.

I then fry bacon until crisp and put it to the side.

Dredge the shrimp in a seasoned flour and fry them in the bacon grease.

Once they get some color deglaze the pan with the shrimp stock.

Add more stock (may need to mix some with a little more flour) until you have a nice gravy coating the shrimp.

Add grits to a flat bowl.  Top with shrimp gravy.  Garnish with crumbled bacon and diced chives.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Grits:
    2 cups chickenstock
    1 grits
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon butter
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Shrimp:
     2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium white onion, minced
    1 garlic clove,minced
    1 pound fresh andouille spicy sausage, cut in chunks
    2 tablespoons AP flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    2 pounds large shrimp
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 green onion chopped

To make the grits, place a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the cream and butter, season with salt and pepper.

To make the shrimp, place a deep skillet over medium heat and coat with the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until there is a fair amount of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown. Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and continue to stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the bay leaf. When the liquid comes to a simmer, add the shrimp. Poach the shrimp in the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink and the gravy is smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the parsley and green onion. Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Add the shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in the Insta Pot thing.  On the fence about buying one- are they worth it?  And how'd the 9 minute polenta turn out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top