Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2017 2:59:29 PM EDT
Been thinking of getting an electric smoker, around the $400.00 range.
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I have a Masterbuilt smoker and I'm 50/50 on it. 50% ok, 50% acrid creosote mess.

Doesn't taste like barbecue, think about getting a real smoker.

Or, you can buy mine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Creosote? you smoking with pine?
I have a Masterbuilt as well and it works great. I added the cold smoker attachment and never use the internal chip tray. Lets me load it up and ignore it for hours.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at pellet fired Traeger or Green Mountain, they're a little more money but also double as a grill. I went from old school smoking to a Traeger about 4 yrs ago and haven't used my old school wood smoker since. Even my wife can smoke now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really eyeing the pit boss 820 pellet grill for smoking/ grilling.

There on sale at academy this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend the extra money and get a pellet grill/smoker.

I have a gmg Daniel Boone and like it quite a bit. Been a year and it's been great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO Weber smokey mountain.

It's pretty much a set and forget once you get used to it.  I can run in the 220-250F range for 12 hours on my 18.5" WSM.  Real BBQ, and the 18 is only $300.  It'll last longer than that electric thing too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Used to have a masterbuilt but a few months ago went with a traeger 34 series and its seriouslt a dream to smoke on.  Wouldnt trade it for anything less than a commercial rotisserie.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Cook Shack if you want a nice well built electric smoker. Id pass on a pellet grill if your wanting to smoke.

http://www.cookshack.com/
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Creosote? you smoking with pine?
I have a Masterbuilt as well and it works great. I added the cold smoker attachment and never use the internal chip tray. Lets me load it up and ignore it for hours.
View Quote
Mesquite is horrible for creosote deposits.  It is responsible for some of the worst retching heartburn I have ever had in my life. I got rid of my stick smoker because of it.  

I have been using a Pellet Pro (just like a Treager) for years now and mesquite pellets don't bother me at all.  Just did a brisket on mesquite last Sunday.  I highly recommend taking a good look at a pellet grill.  It will change your life.  

Pellet Pro makes the Smoke Daddy cold smoker.  This is a simple device that can be added to any smoker.  They also make pellet conversions for many grills so you can correct all of the issues you hate about your current setup.  

Sweet Grills!!!

Cold Smoke Generators

Pellet Hopper/conversions
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cook Shack if you want a nice well built electric smoker. Id pass on a pellet grill if your wanting to smoke.

http://www.cookshack.com/
View Quote

Cook Shack actually makes pellet grills too.    They sure have some nice products. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got a 40" masterbuilt put together yesterday. It arrived Wednesday. Seasoned it last night, and  I might try some ribs this weekend.
Any recipes on: brisket, ribs, pork loins, that anyone wants to share?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
RatS Famous beef rib recipe

With this one you get a 2 fer.  There's another fantastic grille recipe for pork tenderloin below it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Mesquite is horrible for creosote deposits.
View Quote
ah, OK. I never use the stuff, I think it tastes nasty and it's one of the worst bbq fads ever.
I use fruitwoods for most of my smoking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've wanted a pellet smoker for 3 years but as road trash, if it won't fit in my car it gets left.  Maybe I need a bigger car.

I wanted the REC TEC feature list vs price.  Traeger nailed the money shot.  This pic sold a bunch of smokers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top