Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 1:33:17 AM EDT
I keep checking in here and am very disapoint in the lack of new threads!!

Where are all the home cooks of arfcom?

lets post something inspiring! Whether a new place you found to eat? Or a new type of food you tried and liked!

Or even food you  liked as a kid , that you are trying to duplicate now!

I like to find new food adventures, then recreate them at home.

and WTF is beef bacon?

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
They all post Dinner threads in GD and ignore this forum.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Crickets?  cooking?

the wife (she's from Costa Rica) went to Mexico to stay with relatives who are fairly well off professionals.  

She was served (as standard faire) what she called a cricket sandwich.  she said they were crunchy, salty and tasted fine.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapulines
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been all about my new Weber Smokey Mountain...always think about taking pictures and posting up about my smokes...but I just never do it.

Pork butt turned out amazing...great smoke ring, super juicy, and I tried a vinegar finishing sauce this last time which was amazing.  Hickory and Apple is my favorite for pork butt.

Ribs - I've done full spares and some baby back...I much prefer the spares.  A lot more meat and a lot more flavor IMO.  I don't sauce them....simple dry rub(salt/pepper/granulated onion/granulated garlic/paprika/cayenne) 225ºf for 3 hours smoke 2 hours wrapped or until they feel done.  I like hickory and apple or just hickory(although just hickory is gives pretty intense smoke flavor...some might not like it)

So far though, the smokes that have impressed me the most have been my meatloaf.  Simply take your regular old meat loaf recipe, toss it on a grate, and throw it on the smoker till about 165ºF.  I've done them at 300ºF and at 225ºF.  Both were great.  Lower and slower gets better smoke penetration and flavor.

I'm crazy impressed with this WSM smoker...it's so easy to get this thing to hold in the 220-240ºF range for hours and hours.  I have the 18.5" and could easily fit 4 pork butts on it.  4 full racks of ribs laying down, many more if I had them in the racks that hold them at an angle.  Maybe 10?  5 on each rack.  I know full packer briskets get a little big for this smoker...but I've seen it done.

I'll be trying my hand at a brisket for the 4th of July.  Looking forward to a relaxing day at home watching smoke roll.  Probably going Texas style on this....just salt, pepper, and hickory smoke.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, I've wondered the same thing... the last few months have been slower than usual. It's to be expected a bit when nice weather rolls around but usually we see peaks around the big summer holidays as everybody discusses their big cooking plans for the party they're throwing, this year there have barely been any threads around holiday cookouts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top