Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 6:39:47 PM EDT
I've never smoked beef short ribs before. Does anybody have any tips on how to season or smoke them?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
crap, wrong link, nvm.

don't over think it. rub as you want, smoke until done then serve.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I did something this week that were great.

-Smoke 225 for 2 hours
-Braise in liquid made of beer, beef stock, garlic, onion, carrot (cook veg w/ olive oil for a few mites, then add liquid)

No leftovers
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you do a 3-2-1 like with pork spare ribs?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I did some last Sunday along with a rack of baby backs and a chuck roast.
I put my standard rub on them.
Smoked at 225 for 1-1-1. They don't take as long as even baby backs which I do at 2-1-1
A full rack of pork ribs I do at 3-2-1
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're talking about thick plate ribs with a lot of meat cook like a brisket.  Season with salt/pepper and/or etc. (google beef brisket rubs).  I use the pickle juice/mustard slather to make the rub stick.  I prefer the whole plate rib cut into 3 to 3-1/2" chunks.

I smoke at 250-275 with hickory and pecan chunks for about 3 hours, then quit adding wood and cook about 2 to 2-1/2 more hours.

Will add pictures asap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The people saying to cook 2 or 3 hours aren't probably cooking plate ribs with a huge chunk of meat on top.  These benefit from 4-1/2 to 5 hours of slow cooking.
Attachment Attached File

Before cooking trim thick fat off top.  Leave thick membrane on bottom.  The marbling in a choice Angus plate rib is amazing- they don't need fat on the outside.  Mix pickle juice and mustard 50/50 and coat each rib section to wet (I have used Frank's Red Hot instead).  The hot sauce idea belongs to Aaron Franklin.  You can't taste either liquid after cooking.

Attachment Attached File

Season with brisket rub: coarse pepper, kosher salt, seasoned salt and granulated garlic mixed 50/30/10/10 by volume.  You can get by fine with just salt and pepper.  Sprinkle on all sides except the bottom and don't be afraid of the pepper.

Attachment Attached File

Into the smoker at 250-300.  I use cherry and pecan or pecan and hickory.  This is after 3 hours at 250-275.  When they get this color or a little darker I quit adding smoke wood.  Check them after the 4th hour.  When done they should be soft and jiggly.  Probe with a thermometer or bamboo skewer.  If they're soft like butter they're perfect.  Take them off and let sit uncovered for 20 minutes.  Cover then let rest for at least half an hour.  This one of the few things I don't even think about temperature to cook.

Attachment Attached File

These were done at 4-1/2 hours.

Attachment Attached File

The finished product!  Just use the time as a rough guideline and start feeling/probing them at the 4 hour mark.  They'll usually take 4-1/2 to 5 hours.  Be sure to cool them off a bit then cover and let rest half an hour minimum.  They'll be juicy and super tender.

I like these better than the whole plate ribs.  They are covered with all bark and don't take as long as the whole rib.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
And while I'm at it try these:
Rats Pork Tenderloin Recipe
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I smoke 'em like brisket. Salt and pepper. Sometimes garlic. Smoke till they probe butter tender.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top