Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 5:14:28 PM EDT
I usually make an awesome pork and gravy using pork steaks. Very marbled. I am cooking tomorrow for Easter and my mother bought pork chops.  Not sure how they are going to cook down. Any advice?  Sometimes the leaner cuts just get tougher the longer you cook them. I have never tried to smother chops, and would like some advice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The short answer is yes. You will need to be very careful with your temps, and the only gravy that I know of would be a pan sauce gravy. How Id do it follows. You are right about gettimg em tough. Chops go from juicy and tender at 145 F to dry and leathery at 155+.

Dry the surface of the chops and sear them in a hot pan (a stainless or cast iron pan is best IMHO) with a little oil. If you have thin chops (less than 1 inch), they will probably be done after the sear. Thicker chops you can move to a slow oven (say 250 F) or a smoker until they come up to temp. We cook ours until they temp 140 by the bone, or thickest part for boneless. They will go up the additional 5 degrees you need to get the fda 145 while they rest. Either way, deglaze the pan with some stock (pork if you have it, but chicken will do). Add some bay leaves and thyme and cook down until the liquid reduces by 1/2. Mix up about 2 tsp of corn starch per 1 cup of gravy in a little cold water and add the starch slury to the gravy once it has reduced. Cook another 2 minutes while you add salt and pepper to taste. Remove your thyme and bay and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The BEST gravy is pork chop gravy. I cook the chops so I can make the gravy. The poster ahead of me makes it so complicated. Just use the natural grease from chops, add a little crisco, stir in flour until most of the oil is absorbed.
Add milk and stir, and stir. If it starts to get to thick, add more mile. Fandamntastic gravy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I bowed out on the chops . Mom is doing her chop/rice/cream of mushroom dish and now I am on rib duty much more in my comfort zone. Happy Easter!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The short answer is yes. You will need to be very careful with your temps, and the only gravy that I know of would be a pan sauce gravy. How Id do it follows. You are right about gettimg em tough. Chops go from juicy and tender at 145 F to dry and leathery at 155+.

Dry the surface of the chops and sear them in a hot pan (a stainless or cast iron pan is best IMHO) with a little oil. If you have thin chops (less than 1 inch), they will probably be done after the sear. Thicker chops you can move to a slow oven (say 250 F) or a smoker until they come up to temp. We cook ours until they temp 140 by the bone, or thickest part for boneless. They will go up the additional 5 degrees you need to get the fda 145 while they rest. Either way, deglaze the pan with some stock (pork if you have it, but chicken will do). Add some bay leaves and thyme and cook down until the liquid reduces by 1/2. Mix up about 2 tsp of corn starch per 1 cup of gravy in a little cold water and add the starch slury to the gravy once it has reduced. Cook another 2 minutes while you add salt and pepper to taste. Remove your thyme and bay and you are good to go.
View Quote
This. Give it a try when you aren't under pressure. Pan sauces are ridiculously easy.

Sear, add flavorful liquid(s) and scrap brown stuff off pan, reduce and/or add a starchy thickener. Season to taste.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BEST gravy is pork chop gravy. I cook the chops so I can make the gravy. The poster ahead of me makes it so complicated. Just use the natural grease from chops, add a little crisco, stir in flour until most of the oil is absorbed.
Add milk and stir, and stir. If it starts to get to thick, add more mile. Fandamntastic gravy.
View Quote
False. Bologna is the best gravy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife makes this blue cheese gravy with pork chops.  Over brown rice is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I've made these slow cooker smothered chops twice now. Cooked them around 8 hrs and they were extremely tender. I have to remove them with a spatula so they don't fall apart. Any fat melts away and you end up with a clean bone when you are finished. Oh and the gravy has bacon in it.

http://www.centercutcook.com/slow-cooker-smothered-pork-chops/
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been known to buy pork neckbones, roast them and make some pork stock. Refrigerate overnight to degrease it. Then make a pork roast(a rack of pork is my favorite). Use some of the grease to make a Yorkshire pudding. Make a roux and use your pork stock to make a nice gravy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top