Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
I need to do some food for a family graduation gathering.    I'm a bit limited as I'll be away at a conference until the Friday (day before), then transport 3 hours...then go to the graduation (figure 4 hours through traffic, graduation, pictures...)then back to the house we'll be staying at.   Food needs to be basically ready as we get in there (call it about 8pm ish).  

I'm going to make Pulled Pork (easy enough to keep in a crock pot), Smoked/Shredded beef (ditto), but the Ribs are questionable.

I'm going to have to cook ahead of time by a week (because of the conference).   I'll likely make and freeze the beef and pulled pork, allow it to thaw then start the crock pots as we leave for the graduation.

The Ribs are the issue.    How best to hold 6 to 8 racks of baby back ribs...freeze/thaw/reheat.   Refrigerate, put in a covered pan in the oven?    I'll have (at most) 30 minutes before people will want to eat.  (If there's a cousin nearby that's not going to the graduation, I may be able to get someone to start the ribs earlier if needed).

Thanks!

(The coleslaw, potato salad, rolls, etc...are no-brainers...they'll be made Friday PM and just be refrigerated until time to serve).
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I put them in a cast iron skillet on low with a lid over it.  Microwaving always makes the bones hotter than a nuclear melt down.  

I do the same thing reheating brisket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put them in a cast iron skillet on low with a lid over it.  Microwaving always makes the bones hotter than a nuclear melt down.  

I do the same thing reheating brisket.
View Quote
My problem will be the quantity.     And I agree on the microwaving....not so good.

I'm leaning towards cutting the ribs into servings (2 to 3 bones), putting them into aluminum pans with lids...freeze.   Then on that day, let them thaw at room temp while we're down there, put them into an oven covered to re-warm.    Probably shallow pans, single layer of ribs to expedite the heating.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I smoke / grill them like a normally would.
The pull them off and let them cool down alittle bit.
Then vacuum seal them

And when it comes time to reheat put them in a pot of boiling water for about 30mins.

This also works well for reheating thing that comes off the grill.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then vacuum seal them

And when it comes time to reheat put them in a pot of boiling water for about 30mins.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Mobile%20Uploads/20170409_145130_zpstipevo28.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Mobile%20Uploads/20170409_182926_zpspnc7b7rj.jpg
View Quote
I've done that too...but it's going to be 6 racks more or less...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have put ribs fresh off the smoker into aluminum and a cooler (no ice) and taken them to an event.  After an hour, they were still hot enough to burn my hands when I chopped them up for the competition.  I won. 

I have contemplated how to do what you are asking for a potluck where I cannot cook that day, but the result will not be up to my standard.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then vacuum seal them

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Mobile%20Uploads/20170409_145130_zpstipevo28.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Mobile%20Uploads/20170409_182926_zpspnc7b7rj.jpg
View Quote
This. Cook and vacuum seal.
If you thaw before reheating slow roll is all you need. By the way do not remove them from the vacuum seal before you heat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Cook and reheat on a grill...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top