Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 6:30:11 PM EDT
I don't own a deep fryer and usually just use a stainless steel pan for frying. Problem is, there is no way to measure the temperature of the oil. Anyone know of a good thermometer that can clip to the side of a plan for oil temperature? Preferably something I can buy off amazon.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
And of the Thermoworks ones would work great.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the one I use Thermometer  The only downside is it sits off the bottom by 1/2" so if you're only doing a single portion with minimal oil it can be difficult to get a good reading.  With larger quantities of oil the reading are spot on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
^ That's the same one I use, it works great I believe it's also the one Alton Brown uses on his shows.

Something you might want to try if you have one; instead of using the stainless steel pot, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven. It retains heat better so it recovers to frying temperature faster.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermoworks ChefAlarm.  Better than a unitasker.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Last week I bought a candy/deep fry thermometer.  I think I bought it at Walmart.

Last night I started to heat the oil to fry flounder and I couldn't see the temperature indicator (or whatever you call it).  I called my wife in and she told me it was a pinkish color

I'm color blind and I can't see it, so worthless to me.  Fortunately I also bought a digital probe type that goes up to 450*.

Any cooking store should have choices, and of course online
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top