Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 4:55:08 PM EDT
Tomorrow I'll be going to the big city and will pick up a bag of fresh mussels for that evening meal.

I would like to cook/steam the mussels and stock 3-4 hours in advance of meal time so I can clean the majority of the mess in advance of my wife who will get home late.  Can I store them in the fridge for a few hours then reheat with pasta without losing flavor?  Without risking death?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The cookids fast and can be cooked and served in one pot. Simmer your onions garlic and spices, the add your wine and broth or whatever youre using then clean the house and wash a get the mussels good and clean, then toss them in the one pot right before she gets back. Served everything in that pot (you'll need a serving dish anyways).
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Once cooked, 3-4 hours refrigerated should be fine.

As for the cooking, America's Test Kitchen directions...simply amazing results.  As good or better than any muscles I've ever had, ever, and I love the things, try them every chance I get.  I don't remember the directions offhand, but it involves a hot oven, doesn't take much time, and the texture of the muscles is fucking fabulous.

Also, look for farmed mussels that are wet-something...I'm inclined to say finished, but not sure that's the right word.  Basically, it means the mussels were harvested then put in tanks with clean water for a couple of days before processing...this results in grit-free muscles, and it's worth looking around for if you can get them.  I rarely find them anymore.  Farmed muscles taste just as good as wild and are generally bigger and healthier.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once cooked, 3-4 hours refrigerated should be fine.

As for the cooking, America's Test Kitchen directions...simply amazing results.  As good or better than any muscles I've ever had, ever, and I love the things, try them every chance I get.  I don't remember the directions offhand, but it involves a hot oven, doesn't take much time, and the texture of the muscles is fucking fabulous.

Also, look for farmed mussels that are wet-something...I'm inclined to say finished, but not sure that's the right word.  Basically, it means the mussels were harvested then put in tanks with clean water for a couple of days before processing...this results in grit-free muscles, and it's worth looking around for if you can get them.  I rarely find them anymore.  Farmed muscles taste just as good as wild and are generally bigger and healthier.
View Quote
We have their book and I just found the recipe  Thank you!  

I don't know where you live in the state but Wegmans and Whole Foods sell farm raised from the Prince Edward Island area.  A little scrubbing and a few beards to be removed and all is done.  Like you mentioned, no nasty grit.  Prior to discovering farm raised it was hit or miss.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The cookids fast and can be cooked and served in one pot. Simmer your onions garlic and spices, the add your wine and broth or whatever youre using then clean the house and wash a get the mussels good and clean, then toss them in the one pot right before she gets back. Served everything in that pot (you'll need a serving dish anyways).
View Quote
Thank you.

I was really curious on how well cooked mussels hold without losing their flavor.  We don't like to serve them in their shell, another bowl for the shells plus a pack of napkins.

I don't know what restaurants do, all to order or prior prep???
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have their book and I just found the recipe  Thank you!  

I don't know where you live in the state but Wegmans and Whole Foods sell farm raised from the Prince Edward Island area.  A little scrubbing and a few beards to be removed and all is done.  Like you mentioned, no nasty grit.  Prior to discovering farm raised it was hit or miss.
View Quote
Awesome!  Great recipe, the mussels are tender and amazing.

As for the Wegmans muscles, they're farm raised but not purged, they still have a bit of grit to them.  At least the ones in Fredericksburg.  I did find some at the Giant over by the hospital that were, and I was really, really happy with them.  The amount of grit isn't ever all that huge, but once you've had them with no grit at all, you'll pick up on it more.

I'm gonna go Google-fu the shit out of this and see if I can find the proper term.  I know it's all explained in the ATK episode, by the chick-chef's husband, so I'll see if that's somewhere I can watch it on demand.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Please share the recipe.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please share the recipe.

Thanks
View Quote
@twelvepack
@primerhead

Just getting caught up...

The mussels tasted fantastic, thank you.  This is a exact copy from the America's Test Kitchen book. Scroll to page #5   All of our mussels opened at 12 minutes....

We went a little crazy and had three different dishes over four days.

Here is another that we liked from Allrecipes- Thai steamed mussels- LINK  The sauce recipe would probably taste well with any seafood.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad it worked out for you OP!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you billhw1.  Will give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top