Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 4:07:59 PM EDT
I'm not a fan of marinades with soy sauce so I'd like to use curing salt. Can curing salt be added to the marinade with alcohol (tequila or whiskey)?  Should the curing salt be rubbed on before/after the marinade?  Should the meat be put in a solution of water and cure salt before/after the meat is marinated?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Using alcohol in cooking I've seen is for 3 reasons:

1 - to provide moisture in flour dough to prevent gluten from forming which toughens it up

2 - to deglaze the browned bits in a pan after heating meat in a frying pan, to create a sauce or to flavor the vegetables sauteed afterwards

3 - to help release flavor compounds in vegetables in fruits that aren't water-soluble.

I don't see how adding alcohol to a marinade would help develop flavor or tenderize the meat.

Using salt on meat draws water out of the interior of the meat to the surface, so it browns more easily.  So rubbing it with salt and then marinading it in water doesn't make sense to me, unless all you want to do is season it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top