Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
So I recently got a smoker, a master built 30 in electric.  Going to try smoking a small 3lb brisket for superbowl Sunday.  

I have a wireless thermometer, how should I marinate or rub prior to cooking?  What else should I be doing to it while cooking?  Wrap it?  Spray it with something/anything?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Just started smoking some meats myself.  I've tried several rubs on my briskets, but the last was the best - called Dirty Dalmatian.  Just salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Don't over do it - too much rub is worse than too little.  I wrap when the meat hits its stall.  Pouring a little beer on it before wrapping it tight helps keep the moisture in, but not too much.  

Don't be afraid to try different meats and flavorings.  I tried smoking a pork loin stuffed with dried fruit - that was a big hit at Christmas.

Have fun
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thebbqsuperstore has a great selection. This is what I do for brisket, I inject it about 8 hrs prior and back to fridge. About 4 hrs rub goes on, then back to fridge. About an hour before cook it sets out to warm up some. Cook temp is is to you, I run hot n fast. Sometimes I wrap with beef broth added other times I do not wrap. If you do wrap ...unwrap it at about 190ish and reset to harden bark back up. Normally I dont cook to a certain temp but by feel. Take meat therm and once it goes thru brisket like hot knife to butter.. she done
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thebbqsuperstore has a great selection. This is what I do for brisket, I inject it about 8 hrs prior and back to fridge. About 4 hrs rub goes on, then back to fridge. About an hour before cook it sets out to warm up some. Cook temp is is to you, I run hot n fast. Sometimes I wrap with beef broth added other times I do not wrap. If you do wrap ...unwrap it at about 190ish and reset to harden bark back up. Normally I dont cook to a certain temp but by feel. Take meat therm and once it goes thru brisket like hot knife to butter.. she done
View Quote

What do you use to inject it, and what rub?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just started smoking some meats myself.  I've tried several rubs on my briskets, but the last was the best - called Dirty Dalmatian.  Just salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Don't over do it - too much rub is worse than too little.  I wrap when the meat hits its stall.  Pouring a little beer on it before wrapping it tight helps keep the moisture in, but not too much.  

Don't be afraid to try different meats and flavorings.  I tried smoking a pork loin stuffed with dried fruit - that was a big hit at Christmas.

Have fun
View Quote

I agree with you about keeping things simple.  I've noticed that because the smoking as so much flavor I need to cut down on the amount/intensity of my seasonings.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a member of several BBQ groups on FB since I got my Pellet grill a few weeks ago;

Someone recently shared this recipe which I'm gonna try on Friday- it's for a much larger cut however:

Dan's Hot N Fast brisket:

I use a 13-14# choice or higher packer
Trim virtually all visible fat on the deckle
1/8-1/4 on fat cap .
Course salt and pepper on prerub
Wrapped in plastic wrap over nite.
Cook at 300-305 fat side down till internal reaches 166-168 - takes around 2.5 hrs
Wrap really tight with foil ni fat side up lean side down.
Squirt with olive oil and apply your BBQ rub on both sides.
Add 2oz of liquid to wrap. I use beer or Dr. Pepper.
Maintain 300 till you reach an internal temp of 198.
I take it off heat and let it cool naturally- Rest-  several hours.
I usually go overnight.

There are specific reasons for each step.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I use thebbqsuperstore's own rub The General and the Executioner. The injection is also sold by them as well.. buthers prime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Also use the foil pans you can get from grocery stores...less chance of a hole getting poked in it.. then just wrap the top with foil sheets...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top