Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 12:17:32 AM EDT
Got a pair of 'beef clod tenders' in a pack from the restaurant depot.   Smoked them & cooked to 205 degrees....chopped them fairly fine, reduced the juice & froze.  

I'm going to use that in place of ground beef for some things (tacos, nachos, steak sammiches).

That cut is a bit pricey  $5.50/lb.   What's a good cut to smoke & chop for use in recipes?    I'd prefer 5 lbs...but a larger cut would work...

How to cook Temp?  Rub?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been known to buy a small ribeye roast and slice it paper thin. Call them breakfast steaks. From there, you can throw a couple in a skillet, chopping them up while cooking. Makes for a great sandwich. Add some onion and peppers for an excellent taco. Add gravy for chipped beef. Etc. I suspect you could have similar results with a quality piece of chuck. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually looking for a 'tough' cut to cook slow to tenderize...then Vac seal in portions ( and thaw / heat as needed).   I've done thin sliced Ribeye before .and it's excellent
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Brisket would be the first thing to come to mind then. Either plain, or corned. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I think chuck would be a great cut of beef for this.  Never done it personally, but its on my list of things to try.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think chuck would be a great cut of beef for this.  Never done it personally, but its on my list of things to try.

I like Brisket sliced rather than chopped/shredded.  

I've done a chuck many years ago and I seem to recall it came out nice.

But, a larger cut (from a restaurant store) is closer to what I was looking to work with....not 25lbs+, but more like 5 lbs.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I buy brisket and roast it in the oven in a big covered turkey pan with Claude's marinade (fat up, 6 hrs @180 then 2 hrs @ 375).  I then pull/chop it, put it in small Tupperware bowls, spoon in some of the juices (I usually pour or dip off the lard on top and just use the roux that collects in the bottom) then throw the bowls in the freezer.  

Pull out and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then another 1:30 and you have enough for two big brisket burritos or whatever.  It taste like it was just smoked with almost no effort.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
short rib meat

you can get it w/o ribs for 2-3 dollars a pound. I use it for long cook times and it will break down w/o a need for chopping.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
short rib meat

you can get it w/o ribs for 2-3 dollars a pound. I use it for long cook times and it will break down w/o a need for chopping.
View Quote

I thought the boneless short ribs here (restaurant depot) were $5 or $6 a pound.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Smoked chuck is one of the easiest beef cuts to smoke.  My go to is rub the chuck with Montreal steak seasoning. Smoke at 225 deg. to an IT of 160.  Then put the chuck in a pan with 1 diced onion and 1/2 cup beef broth.  Cover pan with foil and put back in smoker or oven at 225 deg till IT of 205.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm actually looking for a 'tough' cut to cook slow to tenderize...then Vac seal in portions ( and thaw / heat as needed).   I've done thin sliced Ribeye before .and it's excellent
View Quote
Chuck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I thought the boneless short ribs here (restaurant depot) were $5 or $6 a pound.....
View Quote

Yeah, we're not TX or down in that area. They get better beef prices than we do up here.
Brisket is pretty much your best bet price wise. If you don't want to cook a whole brisket, just cut it in half. Freeze the one half and cook the other.
Briskets at WM and Restaurant Depot run around $3/lb.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, we're not TX or down in that area. They get better beef prices than we do up here.
Brisket is pretty much your best bet price wise. If you don't want to cook a whole brisket, just cut it in half. Freeze the one half and cook the other.
Briskets at WM and Restaurant Depot run around $3/lb.
View Quote

I actually get the Briskets from Walmart when I do them....my daughter loves Burnt Ends, so I do the whole brisket when I do it....and may just go with Briskets.    I think last time I checked WM was a bit cheaper than the Rest. Depot....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got a pair of 'beef clod tenders' in a pack from the restaurant depot.   Smoked them & cooked to 205 degrees....chopped them fairly fine, reduced the juice & froze.  

I'm going to use that in place of ground beef for some things (tacos, nachos, steak sammiches).

That cut is a bit pricey  $5.50/lb.   What's a good cut to smoke & chop for use in recipes?    I'd prefer 5 lbs...but a larger cut would work...

How to cook Temp?  Rub?

Thanks....
View Quote

That muscle is called the Terres Major and is arguably just as tender as tenderloin with more flavor. If you cooked it to 205 you dun fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That muscle is called the Terres Major and is arguably just as tender as tenderloin with more flavor. If you cooked it to 205 you dun fucked up.
View Quote

Ooops....actually it's pretty tasty, and chopped up, seems to be just what I was looking for as Taco filling, etc....I'll try 'steak' style next time I pick some up........

I'm going to try some boneless short ribs (both for a meal and chopped) I picked up today....
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If it looked like this, just grill it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But, a larger cut (from a restaurant store) is closer to what I was looking to work with....not 25lbs+, but more like 5 lbs.

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I smoked a package of chuck roast yesterday.  Two roasts in a package from Sam's Club, about 5 pounds.  1/3 the price of brisket.  Gave it a dry rub and let it sit in Saran Wrap for a few hours.  Put it on the smoker set for 230* until the internal temp hit 205.  It took 8 hours.  It pulled apart very easily.  Great flavor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I smoked a package of chuck roast yesterday.  Two roasts in a package from Sam's Club, about 5 pounds.  1/3 the price of brisket.  Gave it a dry rub and let it sit in Saran Wrap for a few hours.  Put it on the smoker set for 230* until the internal temp hit 205.  It took 8 hours.  It pulled apart very easily.  Great flavor.
View Quote

I had some frozen Beef Short ribs (boneless) from Costco.    I rubbed then smoked for several hours (about 4), then moved to a slow cooker...put some red wine, concentrated (better than bullion) beef stock in, a bit of tomato paste.   (Before the meat went in, I sauteed a bit of onion and garlic in the pot first).    4 hrs later, drained the juice..removed the fat, reduced the juices until they were thick, mixed in with the shredded beef.....fantastic flavor, and stayed very moist.    Exactly what I was looking for (I may try with Chuck instead of the short ribs next time to see if it is as good...chuck is considerably cheaper).

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I smoke a lot of chuck roasts- the bigger the better.

I smoke with pecan and/or hickory for a few hours at 275-300.  Put in a half pan with some braising liquid (usually just 8 oz. of beef broth) and cover with foil.  Back on the smoker for about 2-3 more hours til fork tender.  Let cool half hour, rest half hour, then shred to just eat or make sammiches.  Forgot to add I do them like brisket or short ribs for prep.  Salt and pepper 50/50, or Salt, Pepper, Seasoned salt, granulated garlic 40/40/10/10.

Makes a badass sammich if you get enough smoke on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen shoulder clod a couple of times at Restaurant Depot and they always have Terres Major.  If anybody has good experience with the Terres Major and detail on how to cook it I'd love to hear about it.  It's a cheap cut and I often feed a bunch of people off the smoker.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Clean the silver skin off the Terres Major, season, and grill whole to medium rare.... Rest, slice, and enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top