Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 9:13:30 PM EDT
Been wanting a meat slicer. With Pork belly curing for bacon, I'm thinking I might as well buy now.
Looking at the various slicers on Amazon, I find myself faced with too many choices. I don't need a commercial slicer, just something to slice bacon, roasts for jerky and the occasional turkey breast roast for sammiches. I suppose I'd use it for slicing my smoked cheeses as well from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Why did you even bother posting the 2nd link (which was the only thread that came up in my search) since there were no replies?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why did you even bother posting the 2nd link (which was the only thread that came up in my search) since there were no replies?
View Quote
Just grabbing links and drive by posting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Fair enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Always read the reviews.  If a slicer doesn't have the power to cut cheese, it is probably not all that desirable.  Plastic parts in the slide or other construction are not very desirable.  

Hobart does make a mini slicer.  A friend of mine has one and uses it every weekend in Santa Maria for slicing brisket.  This is the one I am shopping for.  

There is a webrestaurant supply company that will usually give you a deep discount on your first order.  

(I don't have a slicer yet, no where to store it)

There are two Hobarts on my local Craigs, one at $500 and one at $800.  They are huge bitches.  I would probably have to keep it in my shed..............
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one from Cabelas before Christmas.  It is one of their cheaper ones and has a lot of plastic on it.  It did it's job but I bet the plastic breaks over time.  They do have some nice all metal ones but they quickly get up above $300 in price.

Edit: I mainly bought it to cut meat thin for jerky and sandwich meat and it worked well for that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a bunch of cheap slicers through the years.  I got sick of buying cheap slicers only to have them break after a year or so of light use.  I can't bring myself to drop 800 on a good slicer even though I've probably spent half that already in cheap slicers.

I decided that a good meat slicing knife is really what I need.  I don't slice meat all that often, and when I do, it's not a ton.  The biggest jobs that I could use a slicer for is when I make italian beef sandwiches and even then...it doesn't take that long to slice it by hand.  

So my suggestion is to buy quality first, or just buy a quality knife and use that.  The knife will give you a lot less frustration and you'll spend a lot less money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top