Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 12:08:22 PM EDT
Is there a difference in flavour?  I use it for baking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is.  A better quality dark rum is much smoother and sweeter.  

On the other hand it depends on the dish, of course.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Using it for anything other than drinking is considered alcohol abuse.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Dark rum is aged in used bourbon barrels, light is not. So the light rum will not impart the smooth charred oak flavor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Aged rum is definitely much smoother and sweeter, but something like Goslings Black seal is a lot sweeter than something like Cruzan 2 year. I can't think of a good application for white rum in baking, but then again I don't do much baking. It just seems like the flavor profiles of cakes and such don't mesh well with white rum.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aged rum is definitely much smoother and sweeter, but something like Goslings Black seal is a lot sweeter than something like Cruzan 2 year. I can't think of a good application for white rum in baking, but then again I don't do much baking. It just seems like the flavor profiles of cakes and such don't mesh well with white rum.
View Quote

This calls for an experiment!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
White Rum = Slave Rum
Do what you want with it
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a billion rum-raisin recipes out there.  I'm sure there's a few baked goods that use some rum.

You could use rum instead of vodka to make a mincemeat pie crust.  That actually sounds really good right now, with a cup of hot coffee.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are a billion rum-raisin recipes out there.  I'm sure there's a few baked goods that use some rum.

You could use rum instead of vodka to make a mincemeat pie crust.  That actually sounds really good right now, with a cup of hot coffee.
View Quote

White rum specifically. What I really should have said is that I can't think of anything where I would rather use white rum than dark rum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like that stuff....You can taste the fucking wooden barrel. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#11]
big difference in flavor, if you're in doubt just taste them. you should be tasting all your ingredients anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Molasses and spices
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Goslings Black Seal is delicious.

I actually did an experiment with white rum versus Black Seal. I have a chocolate-nutella rum cake that I make, and I tried it out with the 2 rums. The white rum cake came out tasting very alcoholicy and kind of astringent. I can't think of a better description. The Black Seal cake came out smooth with a lot more depth of flavor beyond the "drunk" of the white rum cake.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I actually did an experiment with white rum versus Black Seal. I have a chocolate-nutella rum cake that I make, and I tried it out with the 2 rums. The white rum cake came out tasting very alcoholicy and kind of astringent. I can't think of a better description. The Black Seal cake came out smooth with a lot more depth of flavor beyond the "drunk" of the white rum cake.
View Quote
pray, tell?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Makes sense to me. White rum is .
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
White rum is useful for some candies and white chocolate rum fudge and so forth. Not so much for cakes and the like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top