Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2016 4:00:50 AM EDT
I'm thinking of making a poor man's steak au poivre pierogi/springroll/wonton as a finger food, for events like super bowl parties. I realize this is like putting lipstick on a pig, but in reverse.

If you think I'm an idiot, stop reading
If you think I'm on to something, I'm all ears.

Issues that I can see now:
1) The sauce, how to make it so that it isn't running out and making a mess for those eating it. Obviously I can make it quite thick, either by reduction or roux, but it seems like a third element/flavor might be good.

My first thought was shredded lettuce that can sort of hold it together a little bit, but I don't want to use lettuce. 2nd thought was shredded, blanched brussel sprouts.
I don't know, I'm just thinking of side dishes and salads at this point
Potato might work, then it's a pierogi...between the starches and sauce it might be way too heavy. Any ideas?

2) What cut of steak to use. Not using filet mignon, so my first thought is manager special sirloin. Hell, even steakums could work after all the grease is removed. Any thoughts?

Steak will be cooked well done because of serial complainers and I want everything to be on the dry side except for the sauce. I don't want the wrapper disintegrating into a mess when it hits the pan.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd use a ribeye as the fat content makes it a bit more chewable/biteable in your proposed presentation.

I'd use Béarnaise sauce so it's moist, tart, and adds a surprise flavor profile
wonton wraps are fine, or Phylo Dough and bake them in the oven...

shredded DARK romaine Lettuce, matchstick carrots gives it a bit crunch and color, the purple hue of the béarnaise, the orange and green inside the second bite, while enjoying the first. Art.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd use a ribeye as the fat content makes it a bit more chewable/biteable in your proposed presentation.

I'd use Béarnaise sauce so it's moist, tart, and adds a surprise flavor profile
wonton wraps are fine, or Phylo Dough and bake them in the oven...

shredded DARK romaine Lettuce, matchstick carrots gives it a bit crunch and color, the purple hue of the béarnaise, the orange and green inside the second bite, while enjoying the first. Art.
View Quote

This is why I asked, I only know just enough to be dangerous

I might make 2 small batches with bearnaise and au poivre pan sauce to see what's going to work best for people buzzed on cheap beer. Bearnaise might be too classy

Thanks Chef.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is why I asked, I only know just enough to be dangerous

I might make 2 small batches with bearnaise and au poivre pan sauce to see what's going to work best for people buzzed on cheap beer. Bearnaise might be too classy

Thanks Chef.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gave it a try, made with an au poivre sauce as part of the filling.

Used wontons and made them like raveoli after a few misfires with other folds. Then pan fried em.

Tasted great, carrot and romaine heart did really complement the steak and sauce. Sauce was just thick enough to not run out.

The actual work with the wontons, a little

Thanks again Chef! Everyone loved em

Pics

Bubblin

Reduced to proper thickness

Attachment Attached File

Won't win any awards for presentation, but I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
After reading your first post, I was like, WTF?!?!  But I take it back.  Looks like it turned out just fine.  Good job!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
They look pretty good.  Directions and ingredients needed for the sauce?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good to me. I'd eat it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They look pretty good.  Directions and ingredients needed for the sauce?
View Quote

For the sauce:

Only 3 ingredients.

Same hot pan you cooked the steak in, pour in a 1/2 cup white wine (I like to use white wine personally, but cognac is much more traditional) and scrape up the brown stuff
left over from the steak. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of beef stock (low sodium, you're reducing it significantly).

Reduce that by about half, then add heavy cream until it looks like that color and reduce until it is nice and thick. I let it get significantly thicker, because
I didn't want it running out of the hot wontons. Salt/pepper to taste.  

I just go by how it looks and tastes, so I could be a little off with the ratios, but I think that's right.

Thanks for looking everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top