Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2016 10:33:24 PM EDT
I just started drying an 8lb NY Strip roast with the Umai system.

I know many places to 28 days but its ok but I think I want to go a hair longer. The flavor   doesn't change too much at 28 in my opinion. I am thinking 35 days.

What say you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to do ribeyes in a week...and they were awesome. 

I cut the steaks, put them in a ziplock bag with a couple teaspoons of vietnamese fish sauce and about a teaspoon of good soy sauce, evacuate the air, and put them in the fridge for 24 hours.

They are then taken out, rinsed off under cold water, patted dry, individually wrapped in cheese cloth, and put back in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. I put a salt slab in the bottom of the fridge to pull the moisture out of the air and just lay the wrapped steaks directly on the wire shelves. 

The fish sauce kicks the enzyme action into high gear and reall imparts no flavor, (if you don't leave it on the meat for 3 days like some suggest). It gives you a dry aging in about 1/4 of the time. Try a couple while the rest are aging. 

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried wet aging via fish sauce a while back when I first read about it. To me the meat texture was off.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't wait 35 days though I have a rib roast aging till 40.

Took the strip out today

Cut into  sizes the folks wanted
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
any pics of the finished product?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any pics of the finished product?
View Quote

Sorry for the delay.

I wanted to taste the difference so I didnt do a deep sear and cush. Salt Pepper and grilled over a medium high heat. Normally I chimney sear or pan sear in beef tallow and clarified butter but I wanted to see how the meat was nearly on its own. It was marshmallow soft and the beef flavor was intensified for sure nut I prefer them aged more for a near nutty/bliue cheese flavor.

Before cooking. (buttered and seasoned Portabella caps with them)

First cut before it bloomed. Sides are Portabella cap and garlic Cauliflower mash. Pretty much an even medium

Color after it bloomed (about 30 seconds after cutting)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top