Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2016 2:12:24 AM EDT
Got a box full of 1960's Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks that I will probably never use.
Debating on throwing them out or keeping them, as they were my Grandmas.
My cooking is usually very simple, so I don't use recipes much.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Just used my Grandmothers Betty Crocker for Christmas dinner using her recipes she had written in the margins.
My kids will get that cookbook.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
you never know when you're going to want to look something up. plus, like above, maybe your granny left some page notes in one or two that'll help you recreate something really special for you and yours.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]

My favorite cookbook is a "The American Woman's Cook Book" from 1939.

Every recipe is scratch, including a section on wild game.

It's more thick than a brick, and a must have for the serious family meal maker.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Id probably toss them but I would be hard since you know where they came from. My favorite foods from my grandmothers wasn't made by a cook book recipe. I am lucky enough to have  taken the time to get advice and practice making them as my grandmothers are still around.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Check E-bay before you toss them. Some of those books are very collectible and worth a fair amount of money to some.
There are some very simple, very good recipes in there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have old ones from family that I keep.  Mostly for sedimental reasons, but do use them every so often.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my favorite cook books was first published in '67

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The wife and I just gave the local library about 30 cookbooks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Flip through the indexes before tossing them. Might find something that becomes a favorite dish.

Old cookbooks can have some interesting recipes. Especially ones from the 20s through 1940s. Many recipes were quite thoughtful of then common, but now long forgotten ingredients as folks had to make do with what they had from their own gardens, livestock, hunting & fishing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I just don't get people who throw books away. That's what bookshelves are for. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just don't get people who throw books away. That's what bookshelves are for. 
View Quote

this. I keep old cookbooks around. and for me it's a big part of the creative process to take a dish that people may not have ever seen or not seen in a long time and recreate it in a modern context.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I would check for Grandma's writing in the margins, and keep the one she wrote in the most. If anything else looks promising, copy it to your computer. And then definitely check e-bay as someone else suggested. If you can't sell them, give them to somebody. If she didn't write in any of them, and none of them look promising to you, there's not much point in keeping them around. I had the same issue with my Nana's cookbooks after she died. I kept the one from her church that she wrote in a lot. Yes, you could keep it on a bookshelf, but eventually your bookshelves will be full. I think most grandmas would like their cookbooks to be owned by somebody who will use them a lot. In the end, they're her books, they're not her.
IMHO the absolute best cookbook ever (sorry Nana) is the Joy of Cooking. It has a lot of those old recipes using things that people have forgotten about, along with a lot of new things people would enjoy. There's also a little something from almost every culture in addition to a lot of American/European food. I think the best part is at the beginning of most topics (game/stuffing/broccoli) she has an amazing amount of general information about what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I use my Mothers First edition, third printing Betty Crocker Picture Book from 1950 for a lot of recipes.

She would put in changes to ingredients and some of her hand written notes and recipes in it.

Keep the books.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I would say toss, but I'm still paying for a macrame book I tossed 40 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top