Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2016 11:05:05 AM EDT
Okay so the Prague powder will show up today, I have a pork loin, salt,sugar and some distilled water (other stuff also)

any recipes to use for the cure?

I have heard from 7 to 15 days submerged in fridge

some say pull out and pat dry and straight into smoker at 225 until 145*

others say pull out, pat dry and leave in fridge 24 hrs to "skin over"

What should I do?

hope to start tonight or tomorow

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Instacure (pink salt #1) in a dry cure for pork loin. Not sure how similar this is to Prague cure. It penetrates the meat about 1/4" per day from all sides. So a 4" thick pork loin (2" to the center) should take 8 days, and I usually give it an extra day. Make darn sure your fridge is running the proper temp. I rinse it off thoroughly after it's cured so it doesn't taste as salty, dry it off so it takes the smoke in, then cook in the smoker with apple chips at 350*. Some times I slice it thin and freeze it uncooked and then fry it like you would regular bacon.

5 LBS pork loin
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tsp pink salt #1 look up the correct amount of cure for 5 LBS of meat
1/4 cup brown sugar

4 crumbled bay leaves
3 - cloves garlic
1 tsp rosemary
4 Tbsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme

Thoroughly mix all ingredients and rub into the meat using up all the cure mixture. Treat any cure recipe like you would reloading data, research the amount of cure and be sure of the correct and safe amount.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!

This is what I was starting with, wife found at Amazingribs.com

Canadian bacon cure

Makes. 3 pounds of bacon
Takes. 10 to 14 days to cure
Ingredients
3 pounds of pork loin, you can leave the fat cap on if you wish
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup of kosher salt
2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
1 tablespoon powdered garlic
1 gallon distilled water
Method
1) Put everything except the loin in the distilled water in a very clean nonreactive pot. Dissolve the salts and sugar. The garlic will not dissolve thoroughly. Let it cool in the refrigerator.
2) Scrub the exterior of the meat thoroughly to remove as much bacteria as possible (don't use soap). Put the pork in the pot and keep it submerged for two weeks. If necessary weigh it down with a plastic tub filled with water or cure.
3) After the cure, it is time to smoke. Before smoking, rinse the surface really well since there will be a heavier concentration of salt on there. Smoke at 325°F until it is 145°F in the deepest part of the center. This will probably take up to 4 hours. The reason we cook at 325°F is to prevent the stall which will happen at lower temperatures and that can result in a much longer cook and drier meat. You can refrigerate it for up to two weeks or freeze it for longer. If you vacuum seal, it will keep longer still.

There was an arfcomer that did this at his cabin about a week ago; pre-reset...I can not find it
now
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Well mixed the wet cure on Wed and put it in fridge to cool, Fri I scrubbed the loin under running cold water and put it into the salty bath

Weighted down w/bowl of water and covered and back into fridge

Christmas eve will be the day to smoke it,

Plan to bake some fresh English muffins and Christmas brunch will be eggs Benedict

Do I need to do anything to the loin? Turn it over? Mix solution up?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]
okay it has been 15 days, rinsed and dried ready to be probed and peppered

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
a couple  hours in at 105*

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#6]
pulled at 145* to rest wrapped in foil
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
cut, sliced and bagged, 10 Sunday Brunches for us, eggs Benedict, 4 slices per bag  

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Bravo OP, that is looking delicious
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Fixing to put 6more  pounds in brine tomorrow, this shit is addicting

I bought a big plastic tote for fridge for this time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top