Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2016 9:48:58 AM EDT
Currently we have a cutting board that we leave out on the countertop all the time, mainly due to the fact that it blends in with the dark granite counter top.  Roughly 16" x 24", which is the only thing I like about it.  It's made of some type of glass, I assume like a Pyrex?  The thing I hate the most about it is that the surface is not smooth.  It has a rough texture, almost dimpled.  You cannot cut anything on it and actually cut all the way through, and it has to be hell on knives anyway.  I generally pull out a cheap polypropylene cutting board and set it on top of the glass one.  

Any recommendations between wood and the plastic type?

Is wood my only real option for something that looks nice enough to leave out as part of the kitchen?  And if so, what kind of maintenance is involved with wood?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Currently we have a cutting board that we leave out on the countertop all the time, mainly due to the fact that it blends in with the dark granite counter top.  Roughly 16" x 24", which is the only thing I like about it.  It's made of some type of glass, I assume like a Pyrex?  The thing I hate the most about it is that the surface is not smooth.  It has a rough texture, almost dimpled.  You cannot cut anything on it and actually cut all the way through, and it has to be hell on knives anyway.  I generally pull out a cheap polypropylene cutting board and set it on top of the glass one.  

Any recommendations between wood and the plastic type?

Is wood my only real option for something that looks nice enough to leave out as part of the kitchen?  And if so, what kind of maintenance is involved with wood?
View Quote

food grade mineral oil, hand wash

eta: bamboo may be an option
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
get a good wood board, and get  it from an online restaurant supply store and save yourself some cash. ditch the glass board, you're destroying the edges of your knives, even the plastic boards are hard on an edge. wood is the way to go, but keep a plastic board around for raw protein. as for care, just hand wash it and oil every other week,
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
HDPE boards, food grade, and can be sterilized.  They have large ones at restaurant supply stores, brick and mortar, and on line.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty nice looking cutting boards here.  I would love to have a proper end grain butcher board.   Butcher boards
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My parents used to have a rippled glass cutting board like the one you describe. That thing was a POS but my parents could never understand why their kitchen knives were so dull all the time.

I just buy the commercial kitchen-quality poly boards at Sam's. When I'm done, I toss them in the dishwasher. Done.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the largest one that still fits in the sink so it can be easily washed. I would not even think of cutting on glass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like the really thin ones that look kind of like place mats. You can use lots of them simultaneously so you don't have to do stuff like clear what you cut off the board for something else- you can just move to another board, a stack of them take up less space than a reg cutting board, and you can just stick them in the dishwasher when done.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:32:42 AM EDT
[#9]
catskill craftsmen inc. stamford ny, will make whatever you want
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read an article a while back that explained why wood boards were superior
to plastic boards as far as bacterial properties but I don't remember why now.

I like wood boards regardless.

Much easier on your knives.
View Quote

I read the same, or a similar, article.  Basically wood, having been a living organism, has microbial defenses that are still somewhat effective even when it's dead.  Plastic has no such defenses.

I prefer wood, too, but we mostly use plastic, it's easy to just throw them in the dishwasher, and I'm not really a germaphobe anyway.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
For looks; Boos makes nice cutting boards; but for ease of maintenance the poly boards are great.

I have each but the poly boards see more use.  

Glass is horrible for knives.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Fed Ex just dropped this 2 inch thick 16x22 black walnut beauty off from Jones today.

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#13]
That's almost too beautiful to use

Quoted:
Fed Ex just dropped this 2 inch thick 16x22 black walnut beauty off from Jones today.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/IMG_20170113_124836_692_zpsamlyghf4.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/IMG_20170113_124836_692_zpsamlyghf4.jpg
I thought it was a chessboard at first glance. Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I recommend epicurean cutting boards. They're non porous and easy on knives. And affordable. And no special maintenance.

Epicurean cutting boards.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wood cutting boards should only need to be re-oiled (mineral oil) twice a year unless you live in an arid climate like Arizona.  

And no, please don't ask, I'm not taking orders right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
@Elsinore13
That's nice!
Might have to add that to my kitchen/outdoor grill area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is gorgeous.  Black walnut is a favorite of mine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#19]
End grain wood boards are the easiest on the knife edge.
Proper care is easy. You can sanitize it with a simple bleach and water solution, and air dry. I treat my wood boards with a mixture of bees wax and mineral oil commonly sold as board butter or wood butter. The bees wax helps preserve and waterproof the wood, adds an antiseptic quality, and helps the board go longer between treatments.
I have one board in the cupboard that I made for my grandmother when I was in cub scouts some 38 years ago. She's since passed, and I got the board back.

IMHO glass "cutting boards" are really just a big trivet. I have one that sits next to the stove for putting hot shit on to cool. (I secretly hope it breaks one day)
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I just made this one for a friend. I have less than $40 in materials into it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Boos.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just made this one for a friend. I have less than $40 in materials into it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308466/IMG-0320-154755.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308466/IMG-0317-154754.JPG
View Quote

That's beautiful.  I'm guessing the dark is walnut and the red is cedar?  What is the light?  I'd guess poplar...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm guessing walnut, purpleheart and maple.
View Quote

Yeah, you could very well be right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's beautiful.  I'm guessing the dark is walnut and the red is cedar?  What is the light?  I'd guess poplar...
View Quote

Thanks!

Maple (light)
Peruvian Walnut
Purpleheart
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes it is hard with a tight grain pattern. It machines very well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes it is hard with a tight grain pattern. It machines very well.
View Quote

My dad always said purpleheart is extremely hard, I guess so is black ebony?  My cutting board does not have purpleheart in it...

But my pot stirrers do...

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Those are beautiful!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Those are beautiful!
View Quote

Thanks, my Dad is awesome. This was my wedding present, it's not in the kitchen but it does have purple heart! And blood wood, teak, hickory, yellowheart, walnut, knotty pine, and is lined with aromatic cedar.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks, my Dad is awesome. This was my wedding present, it's not in the kitchen but it does have purple heart! And blood wood, teak, hickory, yellowheart, walnut, knotty pine, and is lined with aromatic cedar.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/IMG_20140410_163935_252_zpsjrlq8bju.jpg
View Quote

Wow, your Dad is not only awesome, but a hell of a Craftsman.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#33]
How large are we talking?

For kitchen counter use, my dad has made us a few nice wooden ones.

For bigger stuff like procesing big game, you can order a sheet of the plastic cutting board material from many sites. Then cut to the size you want. I made one to fit my tailgate and cut a handle in it. You can also run a router around 3 edges to make a groove for water, blood etc to run off one side of your tailgate or table.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered this one last month and have used it several times. So far I am really happy with it.
Amazon Product
  • EXTRA LARGE SIZE handles all your food preparation needs. Ideal for carving roasts, you can also flip it over and use it as a serving board with finger foods or sushi on it. Won't dull your expensive cutlery.
  • NATURAL ECO-FRIENDLY BAMBOO is thick and durable for all of your chopping and dicing tasks. Deep run-off well collects juices that release from meats, fruit and vegetables, eliminating countertop messes.
  • MORE SANITARY than wood cutting boards. Because bamboo has natural antimicrobial properties and is 19% harder than other wood, our board absorbs less liquid and has fewer cross-contamination concerns.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top