Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 10:55:21 AM EDT
Lots of places are advertising this 18 piece set of Wusthof  Gourmet Knives for $199.

I'm seeking you opinions on whether these are any good or garbage.

18 Piece Set

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a couple of the Classic series knives with the forged blades and they are very nice.  No experience with the stamped blades.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a couple of the Classic series knives with the forged blades and they are very nice.  No experience with the stamped blades.
View Quote

I know the forged would be gtg but I've read comments that the stamped feel too light in the hand. I'm thinking for the price my wife and daughter could destroy these and it wouldn't bother me
Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Stamped knives are gtg for household use, as you already know the price is attractive as compared to forged knives, they are also more flexible which can be an asset filleting fish or boning cuts of meat.

The largest downside is they are harder to resharpen, with forged knives a stone will suffice, stamped knives is where an electric sharpener is helpful.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
for home use, I"d go for it...

less than $13 a knife...good deal
CHEF.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
At the risk of causing a shitstorm, I would say:

1. do not buy a set.

2. buy Japanese knives.

You can learn an awful lot from this website, and my only connection with them is as a customer. I would say that you should do some reading.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No experience with the gourmet line, but the classic line is awesome. Would recommend going that route of you can swing it.

Personally I'd rather have a smaller set of higher end knives. Can always add down the road.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not buy American?

Love my Warther knives. They are close enough to me that I can drive there for free sharpening. I didn't do a set, I hand picked my knives at their shop based on my needs.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not buy American?  
View Quote

Because they make better shit in some other countries?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not buy American?  

Sometimes.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sometimes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not buy American?  

Sometimes.  

Yes., sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks "Him" and "JustinHemi04" for the links, I checked out the websites and they do have a lot of great information and some really high quality knives. The problem is I'd have to lock them in the safe when I left the house, I would awful letting my wife and daughter ruin fine, expensive cutlery.

I'm going to take a chance on these and see what they're like, if they suck, I'll send them off with my Son when graduates from College this Spring.

FYI, for the last 26 years we've been getting by on a set of J.A. Henkels International manufactured in Brazil, that I've never really liked.

Thanks for the input and I'll post an update after I receive them.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I got no opinion on those Wusthoffs, but I will say that Mark and Susan at Chefknivestogo are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

1. do not buy a set.

2. buy Japanese knives.

You can learn an awful lot from this website, and my only connection with them is as a customer. I would say that you should do some reading.

View Quote

actually yes, a set is a waste of money/counter space. buy a chefs knife, a bread knife and a paring knife and those 3 cover 90+ percent of the day to day kitchen tasks, especially in a home kitchen. whusthof is excellent quality, Japanese knives are excellent, my shuns are the best knives I've ever owned, no way around the fact however that they have considerably smaller blade angles than a european blade sot he edge will be sharper  but less durable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have not seen that low of a price. Usually that set is at least $299 for that set.
Wusthof knives are absolutely superior quality. I have used them for years and love them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have not seen that low of a price. Usually that set is at least $299 for that set.
Wusthof knives are absolutely superior quality. I have used them for years and love them.
View Quote

DUDE.  Have you been in a coma?  Welcome back!  Congratulations on your first post!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

actually yes, a set is a waste of money/counter space. buy a chefs knife, a bread knife and a paring knife and those 3 cover 90+ percent of the day to day kitchen tasks, especially in a home kitchen. whusthof is excellent quality, Japanese knives are excellent, my shuns are the best knives I've ever owned, no way around the fact however that they have considerably smaller blade angles than a european blade sot he edge will be sharper  but less durable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. do not buy a set.

2. buy Japanese knives.

Thanks for your input. I did order the set and at $199, I don't feel like it was too bad of a deal. But, at the regular $299 price I would have felt bent over. The larger knives are ok but the small knives are really cheap and flimsy feeling.

I'm going to take yours and some of the others advice and buy some quality knives over a period of time. I'll let the wife and kids destroy these...

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Just saw this thread. Op, you said what I would have said. The problem with the less expensive ones is the tang. The tang is not solid or it doesn't run the full length of the handle. The tang gives the knife that feeling of balance and heft.... The Wustoff's I have are the less expensive, cheap tang type. I was disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I have stamped and forged. Forged way better. For me anyway
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for your input. I did order the set and at $199, I don't feel like it was too bad of a deal. But, at the regular $299 price I would have felt bent over. The larger knives are ok but the small knives are really cheap and flimsy feeling.

I'm going to take yours and some of the others advice and buy some quality knives over a period of time. I'll let the wife and kids destroy these...

Thanks and Happy New Year!
View Quote

chefs knife
paring knife
bread knife.

those 3 will cover 99% of your home kitchen needs. invest in some good ones. and yes. good call on letting the wife and kids trash the others.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#21]
i went and played with the german knives available in the stores around here. Henckles and Wusthof. I did not buy them. I researched a bunch of knives and ended up buying Misono knives, which are japanese.

They are lighter, with a thinner more fragile edge then their german cousins, and we really like them. I also bought a chinese cleaver for fun mangling of meat,  and a western Deba made by Misono, which is a heavier bladed knife made for cutting bones and frozen stuff. A warning came in every box which said not to cut bones or frozen food with the jap knives. The wife smiles every time she uses them. She only had junk knives before this, being too cheap to spend money on quality knives. I do not have that fault......

The only regret I had, was they showed up with a razor/polished edge on them, and I did not get to sharpen them! They do run a 70/30 edge and if you want left hand knives, it will cost more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  The forged are nice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]
here is an interesting article on forged vs stamped

forged vs stamped

i have read other articles that claim there are just one or two hammer hits in the knife making process that allows them to claim the knives are forged, but then the rest of the knife is produced exactly as the other lines.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been happy with my Wusthof Gourmet 14.5 Brisket Slicer. I have only used it a couple of times so far when doing Prime Rib. The local kitchen store had the 7 piece Classic set on sale for $299.  Right now our main set of knives is a Kitchen Aid set and the two chefs knifes have bent tips. Probably from being thrown in the stainless sink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top