Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 10:23:24 AM EDT
Can you take a pressure cooker recipe and cook it longer in a regular pot and have success?  

Is the only benefit to a pressure cooker, speed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I always thought pressure cookers were for canning only. Didn't realise you cooked in them too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Speed and energy consumption are the two main reasons I use mine for meals.

I've read some information about nutritional and digestibility advantages, but not sure I buy into that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

Still wondering if you can cook a 'pressure cooker recipe' longer in a standard stock pot and it turn out well?

Also have an additional question:  what is the optimal size pressure cooker to own?  Seems like most range between 5-10 quarts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Still wondering if you can cook a 'pressure cooker recipe' longer in a standard stock pot and it turn out well?

Also have an additional question:  what is the optimal size pressure cooker to own?  Seems like most range between 5-10 quarts.
View Quote

I wonder if it would be better to cook in a stainless cooker than an aluminum one...

Also, some P-C's are plug in...  I saw one at a box store recently...

P-C's are quite energy efficient if that is an issue...

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.

View Quote

To your main question about taking a 'pressure cooker' meal and cooking it in more traditional methods, sure you can, you can braise a pot roast, pork roast, corned beef, brisket, in the oven for hours if you want.  

Cooking has been around a lot longer than pressure cookers.  

When it comes to size, I'm using a Presto 6 qt. I got from my Grandmother, it's at least 50 years old.

Now they make some nice SS pressure cookers, if I were to buy another that's what I'd be looking at.  Base the size on how many people you're cooking for and what's going to fit on your stove, whether you're buying it simply for cooking or want it to dual purpose for canning.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To your main question about taking a 'pressure cooker' meal and cooking it in more traditional methods, sure you can, you can braise a pot roast, pork roast, corned beef, brisket, in the oven for hours if you want.  

When it comes to size, I'm using a Presto 6 qt. I got from my Grandmother, it's at least 50 years old.

Now they make some nice SS pressure cookers, if I were to buy another that's what I'd be looking at.  Base the size on how many people you're cooking for and what's going to fit on your stove, whether you're buying it simply for cooking or want it to dual purpose for canning.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Good points!  Thanks.

If I buy a large one and wish, at times, to make a smaller meal in it.... is that possible?  Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure, better too big than too small.  With a larger cooker, it will take a little longer to get up to pressure, but that's a minimal increase.

When you get it, read the directions, some items, rice, beans can clog up the vent, or pressure valve which can lead to over pressure and you can imagine what could happen.

As I said, mine is 50 years old, with care they can last a long time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always thought pressure cookers were for canning only. Didn't realise you cooked in them too.
View Quote

no way! we have boiled peanuts in pressure cooker (1-hour) and potatoes (15-min). we tried to mock chic-fil-a chicken.....chicken turn out great (tender), just didnt taste exactly like chicfila
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you take a pressure cooker recipe and cook it longer in a regular pot and have success?  
View Quote

Yes, in some instances. For example, the same meal of beef pot roast can be successfully prepared in a pressure cooker, baked in an oven, using a dutch oven over coals, or in a crock pot slow cooker. Dried beans can be prepared using a pressure cooker, baked in an oven, cooked in a slow cooker, over coals in a dutch oven or in a "bean hole". Results may vary and you might need to make adjustments to your recipes depending on your cooking methods.

Cooking tough meats in a pressure cooker is reputed to make them more tender.

Electric pressure cookers are now available that are easy to use: turn them on, set time and pressure, and come back when it's done.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a stove top PC.  I bought one of those Instapots, I think 5 qt.  You can't fill it up.  You need headspace above the liquid to develop pressure, and the liquid has to boil.  The electric PCs don't have the guts to heat up the liquid if the pot is more than half full.  Also, a thick soup or stew doesn't really work all that well.  I will get rid of the electric PC and get a stove top model.

Anything you make in a PC you can make on a stove.  Remember you are cooking at higher than atmospheric, so boiling will be above 212* at MSL.  I could see a real advantage to a PC, even an electric one, in the mountains.

BTW, one thing you can make in an electric PC that is fantastic is cheesecake.  It's done in 10 minutes, as opposed to an hour in the oven, and an hour gradual cooling.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Not all pressure cookers are appropriate for canning. Many don't achieve or maintain the proper pressures and temps, or hold them long enough, to ensure safe canning of low acid foods. If you're going to can in it, make sure it's rated for it.+

http://www.livinghomegrown.com/pressure-canners-vs-pressure-cookers/
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I would not trust an electric pressure cooker, as it is important to be able to remove it from the heat immediately sometimes and I would not think that could be done if the heat source was internal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, mine is aluminum.  I have had it for years and it works great!  I use it more for making boiled peanuts, which uses a lot of salt/spices and it has held up well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are unfamiliar with pressure cookers, it is best to go larger.  If you have a smaller one and overfill, it becomes a safety hazard.  If overfilled, they can explode or at minimum takes a whole lot longer for the pressure to reduce enough to take the lid off.  Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter when depressurizing and removing the lid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would not trust an electric pressure cooker, as it is important to be able to remove it from the heat immediately sometimes and I would not think that could be done if the heat source was internal.
View Quote
For what reasons? I don't see much of a difference between pulling the cord on an electric unit versus killing the stovetop other than some carry over heat from the element on a electric model. I have a large canner that I have used to do beans and other things, but it was too large for every day cooking. Recently picked up a Instapot and have been very happy with it. Throw food in, press a button or two and wait for the beep.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Corn on the cob and soup beans are also fantastic!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Need that cheesecake recipe, please
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top