Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2016 2:08:46 PM EDT
I never had chili growing up. I was kind of a picky eater. I've learned to love more foods since I started college, cooking for myself. So, I decided to try making some for myself.

1lb ground beef
tomato sauce
red beans
half an onion, chopped
half a green bell pepper, chopped
a jalepeno
cumin
cayenne pepper
beef broth

cooked in a crock pot for 8 hours.

Add some homemade cornbread, and you have one of the best meals I've ever made! Wow, it's good! I'm a little angry at my mother for having never made it before!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you did good OP
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fail that isn't Chili. That is meat sauce.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures loading.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What should I add? Not sarcastic.

ETA I mean, isn't that what chili is? Or am I supposed to specify that it's chili with beans, as chili does not have beans?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
No Tex. Chili has Beans. Meat sauce does not have beans. OP made Chili. Good ole, northern style chili.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures loading.
View Quote

Sorry I forgot the rules!

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA I mean, isn't that what chili is? Or am I supposed to specify that it's chili with beans, as chili does not have beans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chili should look more like this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1919538_Dinner.html
Thick, not soupy
No tomatoes, or at least vey little
Chiles for seasoning
Cubed meat, not ground.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
TacticalGarand44 - Lots of people have opinions on what chili should and shouldn't be.  The chili I make is thicker than yours, but not as thick as the way my brother, whose recipe I adapted, likes to make it.  While my own variation is my favorite (naturally), I also quite like Steak'n'Shake's chili (from the restaurant, not from the can), which, like yours, is rather like a soup.  Mine might seem rather foreign to the average chili-lover, too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I made chili for Cola Warrior East this past weekend...lots of chili.  About 100 lbs of it.  Every last bit got eaten, and pretty damned quick.

It was the budget version of what I normally make, very simple:

ground beef
beans
chili powder
Cheyenne pepper
canned tomatoes
Rotelle mild
canned green chilies

I'd give you amounts, but as usual, I just eyeballed it.  Served it with Fritos, saltines, corn muffins, grated cheese, and jalapenos.  The corn muffins were very popular with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, you stumbled onto one of the great controversies of arfcom, whether chilli has beans or not.

That recipe looks pretty good, I make something similar.  I'd recommend browning your onion and the ground beef before slow cooking things, but I don't know if that would turn out badly in a slow cooker, I really haven't used those much at all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol, you stumbled onto one of the great controversies of arfcom, whether chilli has beans or not.

That recipe looks pretty good, I make something similar.  I'd recommend browning your onion and the ground beef before slow cooking things, but I don't know if that would turn out badly in a slow cooker, I really haven't used those much at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did cook the beef fully prior to putting in the slow cooker. I will try browning the onions along with it next time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Beans???? In CHiLI???!!!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer to use Chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and every now and then a bit of cayenne powder for my chili. Two cans of beans, two cans of diced, fire roasted tomatoes, 1lb ground or cubed dee, onion and green pepper. Sometimes even a bit of corn if I want to stretch the pot for a bit longer.

Congrats on your first bowl of chili, it only gets better from here.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The base for chili is made of chilies, not tomatoes. Once this is accepted you will be on the proper path for making the dish.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Your chili sounds good. Saltine cracker are good crumbled up too. Also try fritos crumbled up you might be surprised.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Beans? You did right boy. You did right.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer to use Chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and every now and then a bit of cayenne powder for my chili. Two cans of beans, two cans of diced, fire roasted tomatoes, 1lb ground or cubed dee, onion and green pepper. Sometimes even a bit of corn if I want to stretch the pot for a bit longer.

Congrats on your first bowl of chili, it only gets better from here.  
View Quote

Dude, if you like corn in your chili, try hominy instead.  Like a big bowl of tamale, it's great.

If you have some strange aversion to hominy, just mix a little masa into your chili while it simmers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The base for chili is made of chilies, not tomatoes. Once this is accepted you will be on the proper path for making the dish.
View Quote

When you say the base, I am using tomato sauce as the base liquid for the chili. I don't care for a chili with no sauce or liquid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Blend up dried chiles in beer for the cooking liquid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously? How many chilis? How much beer?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I'm also interested in this.  While I like my recipe just fine, trying new ways is also good.  :)
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...Cuz everybody from every region thinks theirs is "real" chili...

and it IS. *snip*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it IS. *snip*

What are you, some kind of feel-good hippy dippy liberal? Get the fuck out of here with your tolerance.

When the Balkanization of USA happens, it won't be about immigration or guns. It'll be about beans in chili.

I will live in Chilihasnobeansa.

ETA: snip
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What are you, some kind of feel-good hippy dippy liberal? Get the fuck out of here with your tolerance.

When the Balkanization of USA happens, it won't be about immigration or guns. It'll be about beans in chili.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it IS. *snip*

You're feeling frisky

Out of a bowl, I prefer it with dark red kidney beans and a little wet if eating it with bread.  On a dog, just meat with less liquid.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When you say the base, I am using tomato sauce as the base liquid for the chili. I don't care for a chili with no sauce or liquid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read this to get you started. Generally speaking though, I use 5-6 New Mexico or Ancho chilies and about as many Arbols. You can use less or more arbols depending on how spicy you want the dish to be. The chilies get soaked in warm water until soft, at which point they are blended into a paste. From there you can use stock, beer, water, etc to adjust the thickness of the sauce.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Soup looks good. Maybe no beans next time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Bleh!  I'm not putting fish sauce in my chili!  XD
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry OP you gonna get raped by the beans vs no beans crowd.  

No beef broth and try to cut down on the liquid as much as possible.  It should be thick and hearty not soupy.  

For the record I like Texas Red (no beans) and normal chili with beans.  

Try adding some different beans I use black and Kidney and Pinto.  A small can of each

Sweat your onions with your meat and lay some chili powder and any other spices you listed in there.  

Play with the recipe each time and find what you like and fuck the haters.  

BTW the leftovers make awesome nachos.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]
beef and bean soup. not chili.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Do you think it would work with canned chilis?  

We can't get NM chilis fresh over here.  

I love Hatch chilis.
View Quote

I should have said dried chilies (hence the soaking). Which you should be able to order from Amazon or the like. I do like to add a can of Chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, though, which I blend with the other chilies.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Where is the BEER and BACON ??????
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
*click*
*click*
*click* *click* *click*
*click*
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
*click*
*click*
*click* *click* *click*
*click*
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]
These threads are always honeypots. Ignoring beaners does wonders for improving the quality of conversing on this forum.

*click*

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These threads are always honeypots. Ignoring beaners does wonders for improving the quality of conversing on this forum.

*click*

View Quote

quoted for phrasing
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You did good, OP.  

<snip>

I make cowboy chili, which takes longer than yours and is far more trouble.  It also has many complex layered flavors, uses many different kind of peppers, and uses chunked beef instead of ground beef.  It uses whole or diced tomatoes and not sauce. It's chunky and thick.  (original recipe from AR15.com member Hank, amended by me)

<snip>

Keep going.  Try something new each time.  Use some advice here--ask for recipes.

Glad you love chili.  It's awesome.
View Quote

What is your cowboy recipe?  Can you substitute game for the beef?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You could sub in chunked venison I'm sure.  I haven't tried that with this recipe because we haven't had venison in a long time but I used to make venison chili all the time.  I don't know if I would try "softer" game meat.  It needs to hold up to the spices and cooking time.

I don't have time to type it out at the moment but I will come back and give the recipe here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

You could sub in chunked venison I'm sure.  I haven't tried that with this recipe because we haven't had venison in a long time but I used to make venison chili all the time.  I don't know if I would try "softer" game meat.  It needs to hold up to the spices and cooking time.

I don't have time to type it out at the moment but I will come back and give the recipe here.

I'll bet beaver would make good chili.  Rich red meat.  I just cooked my 1st beaver a couple of weeks ago, and I'd love to get my hands on some more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did good, OP.  

<snip>

I make cowboy chili, which takes longer than yours and is far more trouble.  It also has many complex layered flavors, uses many different kind of peppers, and uses chunked beef instead of ground beef.  It uses whole or diced tomatoes and not sauce. It's chunky and thick.  (original recipe from AR15.com member Hank, amended by me)

<snip>

Keep going.  Try something new each time.  Use some advice here--ask for recipes.

Glad you love chili.  It's awesome.

Thanks

I will be waiting!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#43]
If I need to add liquid to the chili, I just pour in some beer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's beautiful!

Please post your recipe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2u8l9vp.jpg

Chili.

No beans.
No tomatoes.

That's beautiful!

Please post your recipe.

Yes please! And yours looks awesome too, Kitties. I will attempt a version of that next weekend.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2u8l9vp.jpg

Chili.

No beans.
No tomatoes.
View Quote

That's the ticket right there. Damn, I know what I'm doing some night this week.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top