Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 10:35:51 PM EDT
I have a Butt to smoke on Saturday.  I have Hickory Apple Mesquite and pecan wood for the smoker.  Which should I use?   I also have some whiskey I was thinking about soaking the wood in.  Should I use the whiskey?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Apple or pecan. No whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apple or pecan. No whiskey.
View Quote

Quoted so you can read this advice again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the pecan.......and I suggest a can of Cheerwine in the water pan.  You will like it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pecan it is.  No whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want booze flavors in your wood, go with the barrel chunks.  I feel like wet whiskey might impart some odd flavors.

http://northwoodssmoke.com/categories/Wood-Chunks/
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used whiskey chunks in the past.  It turned out great.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Hickory is what you should use.  Plain hickory.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go pecan or hickory; however I've made some killer pork butt with wild cherry or white oak too.  Mesquite should be saved for something beefy.   I usually brine pork butts in a peppery apple concoction so most often the apple wood gets used for poultry/fish.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Pecan gets my vote. It's probably my favorite wood to use
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Apple is the universal--can't go wrong on any meat really.  A little pecan or hickory with it won't hurt a big chunk of pork (be careful with poultry or fish though.)  Don't use the mesquite or whiskey.

I love sugar maple on pork butts myself.  If you're using a drip or water pan, some apple juice, apple cider, beer, and/or cider vinegar is nice too.  I always poke the hell with a metal skewer before I put the rub on (I make my own and cut WAY back on the salt & sugar, then only let it sit for 8-10 hrs.)

225F, then wait until it hits 205F internal.  No wrapping, no flipping, no looking!!  Just leave it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top