Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2016 10:24:45 PM EDT
Anyone have any good recipes they want to share?

No smoker, so a dehydrator or sun drying will be my option.

I need to know the best thickness too. I have a meat slicer for consistent thicknesses. Cross grain or with the grain? I have heard both.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
i always slice the meat across the grain(you can slice with the grain, but run a higher risk of chewy jerky). slice when semi-frozen for ease of slicing and consistent results(especially since you'll be slicing across the grain). it'll shrink some, so slice just a hair thicker than you want the final product to be(slice too thin and it'll fall apart, slice too thick and you may be chewing more than you want). this may take some experimentation(especially if you make jerky from different meat sources). i can't really tell you a specific thickness to use because slicer adjustments vary, but i usually do mine pretty thin(enough that it holds together once sliced). once sliced, marinate at least overnight. don't crowd the trays(allow space between slices for airflow). rotate trays every 60-90minutes(easiest way is to move bottom tray to top each time). dehydrate in batches(ie-wait until one batch is completely done before starting the next). and leave the meat in the marinade until you place it on the tray. within each batch, some pieces will finish before others(usually the smaller ones), pull off each piece when it's done even if there are more going. before packaging, allow time for the meat to cool or you'll have condensation in the package which will ruin it quickly. package in portions you wish once cooled to room temp. repeat until done.

as for a marinade recipe, here's what i do(no measurements as everything is to taste)

marinate slices at least overnight in a mixture of

soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
teriyaki sauce(the thin stuff, not the thick kind)
garlic powder
black pepper
crushed red pepper
brown sugar or honey
citrus juice(lemon, lime or orange)
mustard(dry or prepared)

you can add or subtract from this as you wish to suit your tastes
if you want more heat in your finished product, you can adjust the heat to your taste by adding more crushed red pepper or some cayenne powder or some of the hot sauce of your choosing.
if you don't want any heat, leave out the crushed red pepper and don't add any other heat sources. but leave the black pepper in.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Might check out Smoking Gun Jerkey. They sell their liquid marinate in gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs. They also include a dry ingredient lists to add to it. That way you can get an idea of what flavors you like.

http://www.smokinggunjerky.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Love Alton Brown's recipe

Alton Brown - Jerky
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If your near a cabelas get some of they're "Hickory" mix, and throw it in your dehydrator.

Good stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top