Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 8:34:16 AM EDT
Looking for advice... there are just so many options, Viking, Wolf, Thermador, among many other lesser brands. New isn't in the budget and Viking seems to be the most common on the used market... I'm in the market for a used one.

Is Wolf's special dual convection oven all marketing hype or is it really that much better? Sounds plausible that it's better; from my understanding it used 4 different elements, 2 different fans, and an electronic smart controller to ensure even cooking, no rotation necessary. All the others only have 1 fan from what I saw in my casual searching; I know that my existing homeowner grade convection oven only has 1 fan and it does have minor problems with uneven cooking on convection setting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
i've had a thermador and really liked it. where are you putting it and what is your intended purpose?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i've had a thermador and really liked it. where are you putting it and what is your intended purpose?
View Quote

In a kitchen... home kitchen... intended purpose is cooking... haha

I cook more than the average person but nowhere near commercial kitchen usage...
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a reason Viking is the most common in the used market. The repair rate on new Viking equipment is over 30%. Of the ones you listed, go with Wolf. If you want true commercial grade, check out Vulcan. You can find commercial equipment cheap at restaurant equipment auctions, restaurants are always going out of business. Be aware that commercial stoves require a larger gas line.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's a reason Viking is the most common in the used market. The repair rate on new Viking equipment is over 30%. Of the ones you listed, go with Wolf. If you want true commercial grade, check out Vulcan. You can find commercial equipment cheap at restaurant equipment auctions, restaurants are always going out of business. Be aware that commercial stoves require a larger gas line.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the gas-line, larger in what way? It would be on LP and the house has a 3/4" main line, of which the stove is the only gas appliance except a small fireplace in the master bed that rarely gets used. Certainly 3/4" would be big enough wouldn't it? Keep in mind that I'm looking for dual fuel so only the range would be gas so less total demand...
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want true commercial grade, check out Vulcan.
View Quote

Bummer but as far as I can tell Vulcan doesn't offer a dual-fuel line... I absolutely will not give up my electric convection oven, and the features on the commercial electric convection ovens are pretty awesome...

So Vulcan is out unless I go all electric (which is a possibility but gas ranges do offer some advantages)...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
They normally need at least a 1 inch line. The btu rating is so high that they need more fuel than the average home range. There are awesome gas convection ovens out there. If you have to stay with an electric oven, go with the Wolf.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
how big do you need? i've had a castle and a us range, both 36" with gas ovens that worked really well. i cook a lot as well. keep in mind that commercial ranges lack some of the insulation that ' commercial-sty;e' ranges have , so insurance companies may require additional protection for your area. i've had to put stainless sheet up , but you may be able to use something other. they also require additional venting and your insurer may require a suppression system. irregardless, commercial ranges are worth it, if you really like to cook.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how big do you need? i've had a castle and a us range, both 36" with gas ovens that worked really well. i cook a lot as well. keep in mind that commercial ranges lack some of the insulation that ' commercial-sty;e' ranges have , so insurance companies may require additional protection for your area. i've had to put stainless sheet up , but you may be able to use something other. they also require additional venting and your insurer may require a suppression system. irregardless, commercial ranges are worth it, if you really like to cook.
View Quote

36" would be the ideal size (don't want too large).
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#9]
i'd try a restaurant equipment store or craigslist or maybe auctions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

commercial gas stoves also use a way more gas than the average home gas stove, also most of them have standing pilot lights which many home insurance companies don't like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

commercial gas stoves also use a way more gas than the average home gas stove, also most of them have standing pilot lights which many home insurance companies don't like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes, I have realized that true commercial isn't what I want.... so lets revise the thread.

I'm looking for a kitchen range and the list of must-have's and desires is below.

Must have:
no smaller than 30", no larger than 48" (36" is ideal)
minimum of 4 burners on top
electric convection oven
flat-top/griddle (set-on-top, or built-in)
one easy glide rack (roller bearings)
Reliable, made to last

Desire:
at least 1 high
ouput, fast-boil burner
true convection (European convection)
full-width level grates (easy slide)
good IR broiler
dehydrate mode
delayed cook

I realize that this can be done with a cooktop and wall oven with much more versatility but my wife is adamantly opposed to the idea of a wall-oven; I was too but I'm slowly seeing the benefits. At this point, I'm looking for any/all input... we have 1-3 years before our kitchen renovation...

Capital Connoiseurian seems to hit a lot of what I want... but comes with a pretty hefty price-tag... I guess buy-once, cry-once may come into play...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top