Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 11:43:16 PM EDT
Like the title says, what cut of beef should I be looking for? What marinade do you use for the beef you use in Beef Fried Rice?

Thank you all!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Wagyu would be a bit over the top for fried rice. Maybe hamburger? Or strip steak?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Op, got a good recipe for fried rice?

Txl
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

I desperately need one....
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

This finally got me on the right track to quality fried rice. My biggest mistake, it turns out, was too much oil in the pan turning the rice to mush. Other than that, I really love using Chinese Five Spice in mine. For meat, I usually get lazy and by marinated pork loin, or use leftover steak/roast/etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Skirt steak
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Skirt steak
View Quote

This. Skirt or even Flank would be excellent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I use left over whatever beef .

Prime rib to skirt

Edits

PackingXDs link is a very good overview.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skirt steak

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This finally got me on the right track to quality fried rice. My biggest mistake, it turns out, was too much oil in the pan turning the rice to mush. Other than that, I really love using Chinese Five Spice in mine. For meat, I usually get lazy and by marinated pork loin, or use leftover steak/roast/etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Thanks for that link, it was a good one.

I highly recommend reading the book.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hows the format of the book? Is it like their website where they break down the what/why of the techniques, then reference a recipe. Or is it more just a straight up recipe book?

I have had it on my Amazon wish list, but haven't got around to buying it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Great link.  Thanks.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hows the format of the book? Is it like their website where they break down the what/why of the techniques, then reference a recipe. Or is it more just a straight up recipe book?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very much like the website.  He goes into great detail with the how's and why's of cooking things properly, to the extent that the book IMO may be longer than needed because some of it is repetitive.  I've not read it cover to cover, it's 900+ pages, but I'm 300ish in have learned a lot.  It's the kitchen equivalent of Mach's Science of Mechanics wherein the underpinning relationships are explained and you're given the tools to truly develop a cook rather than regurgitating.

I'll temper my comments with this- I'm new to cooking, more advanced folks may know all this and find it remedial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skirt steak

This.

Making fried rice tonight, as it turns out...

Put it in the freezer for 30 mins to make it semi-frozen, shave it very thin across the grain.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#14]
It may be obvious to some, but oil amount and crowding my wok were always the downfall to my past attempts at fried rice. Don't get me wrong, it tasted fine. However, the texture/consistency was never the same as that box of your favorite takeout. Once I learned to get the wok screaming hot, add a couple tablespoon of oil, swirl and (most importantly) dump any excess; and only work a couple cups of rice at a time things clicked. What rice and its moisture content are nearly irrelevant in comparison. After that its just a matter of seasoning and veggie/meat choice.

It drove me nuts for years that I could do a great prime rib or crown of lamb, but getting at least takeout quality fried rice alluded me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once I learned to get the wok screaming hot, add a couple tablespoon of oil, swirl and (most importantly) dump any excess; and only work a couple cups of rice at a time things clicked. [/img]
View Quote

Same here.  I used way to much oil and not enough heat.  In fact, next time I make FR, I may use my fish fryer burner.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's very much like the website.  He goes into great detail with the how's and why's of cooking things properly, to the extent that the book IMO may be longer than needed because some of it is repetitive.  I've not read it cover to cover, it's 900+ pages, but I'm 300ish in have learned a lot.  It's the kitchen equivalent of Mach's Science of Mechanics wherein the underpinning relationships are explained and you're given the tools to truly develop a cook rather than regurgitating.

I'll temper my comments with this- I'm new to cooking, more advanced folks may know all this and find it remedial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am certainly just a hobbyist cook. However, when they present it more in "here is the science behind the recipe" it just clicks. Much more so than how most traditional cook books go about things (of which I have many). In many ways its remind me very much of Alton Brown's approach.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Same here.  I used way to much oil and not enough heat.  In fact, next time I make FR, I may use my fish fryer burner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Once I learned to get the wok screaming hot, add a couple tablespoon of oil, swirl and (most importantly) dump any excess; and only work a couple cups of rice at a time things clicked. [/url]

Yep. I treated it more like sauteing than stir frying.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skirt steak

This
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once I learned to get the wok screaming hot, add a couple tablespoon of oil, swirl and (most importantly) dump any excess; and only work a couple cups of rice at a time things clicked. [/url]

Only way to fly.

I started doing this a while back and won't do it any other way now.  I feel like some kind of street vendor sitting on my little stool over my blazing hot burner and wok.  You can get that sucker blazing hot that way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am certainly just a hobbyist cook. However, when they present it more in "here is the science behind the recipe" it just clicks. Much more so than how most traditional cook books go about things (of which I have many). In many ways its remind me very much of Alton Brown's approach.
View Quote

Yes, exactly.  I very rarely nail a recipe on the first try, so by understanding the background calculations, if you will, I can make methodical changes and receive somewhat predictable results.

Sorry for the derail, OP
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Only way to fly.

I started doing this a while back and won't do it any other way now.  I feel like some kind of street vendor sitting on my little stool over my blazing hot burner and wok.  You can get that sucker blazing hot that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only way to fly.

What size wok?

This is sounding like an awesome football saturday/sunday plan.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What size wok?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only way to fly.

What size wok?

I believe mine is 20" (24"?). Will measure tonight.

Only issue is I don't have a good handle on mine so I have to use a welding glove.

ETA: looks like pork not beef... the wife made the call at the grocery store, LOL
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
This recipe for Mongolian beef is awesome.  I used fresh peppers instead of dried.

Mongolian Beef
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

This rocks! Thank you!!!

ETA: Looks like Flank steak is the way to go and cut into very thin slices. I was hoping for an even cheaper cut of meat but this will work too. Thank you all!

ETA2: What I realized too is that meat can get spendy here in Austin so I'm going to try the local Asian market and the local Fiesta supermarket and see if I can't get flank steak for less than $8/lb.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Flank cut against the grain about 1/8in thick.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I use the precut stuff for fajitas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I would think you could use almost any cut if you did it right.  Maybe tenderize.  I bet most inexpensive Chinese restaurants probably use something like sliced eye of round roast, tenderized, then cut against the grain.  $2.50/lb. Just a guess, though.  I'm sure it would taste fine. Sure, flank would be better.  I usually do shrimp fried rice. Frozen peas and carrots, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, couple eggs, jasmine rice.... solid.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#28]
We use whatever steak we have left over.  If we cook three and eat two, the third gets slightly frozen and thinly sliced for stir fry.  Technically, it's twice-cooked steak at that point, but the grilled flavor is nice in the fried rice.  And as others have said--less oil than most recipes call for.  We don't use a wok anymore; we use our largest saute pan and fry a couple of cups of rice at a time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top