Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2016 12:11:52 AM EDT
Anyone  out there have a good recipe for deer chili that does NOT contain beans?

One that accents the flavor of the venison?

I have 4 pounds of ground deer meat that I'd love to turn into a great chili!

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
A recipe without beans??????
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A recipe without beans??????
View Quote

Yeah....as in real chili.....

....with chili peppers and spices.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your ground venison really taste THAT much different than ground beef in a chili sauce?  Mine is discernible by all by itself a little bit (can tell its different meat), but really couldn't tell if you are putting it in a soup or chili.

I'm saying just use a regular chili recipe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does your ground venison really taste THAT much different than ground beef in a chili sauce?  Mine is discernible by all by itself a little bit (can tell its different meat), but really couldn't tell if you are putting it in a soup or chili.

View Quote

pretty much this.

but, since you asked, here you go.

caveat-I don't measure, so amounts are to taste/volume based on what you have and like

ingredients-
ground meat(preferably coarse ground)
finely chopped onion(of a mild/sweet variety)
minced garlic
chili powder
cumin powder
ground/crushed oregano
tomato sauce
paprika
chili peppers(type and amount to your desired heat level)
ground black pepper
shredded cheese of your choice
cooking oil

to make-
in a large pot,brown meat in cooking oil
once meat is browned, add in the tomato sauce and stir
next, add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese
stir thoroughly and set heat at simmer
let simmer for at least 90min stirring every few minutes

to serve-
portion how you will with the shredded cheese on top

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Take two pounds of deer roast. Cube it. Brown it. Chuck it in the crock pot.

For the sauce:

Remove stems from 10 ancho peppers or 15 new mexico peppers (not a hard and fast rule, you can adjust it).

Toast the peppers in a cast iron comal or skillet.

Simmer peppers in four cups of water for 20 minutes.

Blend the shit out of it.

Strain it into another container.

Use four tablespoons of flower, and make roux with three tablespoons of oil in the pan you simmered the dry peppers in.

Fry sauce in roux for 20 minutes.

Immediately after transferring the sauce back to the pan,add a few teaspoons of salt, a teaspoon of cumin, a tablespoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of black pepper, and any other spice you like. Whisk the sauce thoroughly so that the spices and roux mix well with the sauce.

After 20 minutes, the sauce should be really thick. Dump it in the crock pot. Mix it in with the beef. Sew it on low for six hours.

Boom, you have red chile with meat. This will make even the shittiest cuts of crap taste good. I have successfully consumed Javalina with this recipe. You could probably even make squirrels or rats palatable.

ETA: If you don't prepare spicy food often, wear gloves or don't touch your eyes, nose or penis for 24 hours. This mainly applies if you use peppers as spicy or spicier than anchos.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Real chili doesn't have 'ground meat' in it. It is made with chunks of meat.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
it was originally a venison recipe.  For the meat, I always do 1lb of ground meat and 1lb of non-ground meat.  Most of the time I buy 1lb of ground beef and about a pound of thin cut pork chops, which I dice into small cubes.  You could go all ground meat too, but I like the consistency the diced meat gives.  Adjust the seasonings to taste of course, I usually increase the cumin and chili powder. Adjust the heat with the jalapenos.  

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless venison rump, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 pound ground venison, or ground pork
1 tablespoon Essence
2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 to 3 large jalapenos, seeded and minced, to taste
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes and their juices
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
1 1/2 cups beef stock

In a large,
heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat and Essence, and stir with a long-handled wooden
spoon to break up the pieces. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add
the onions, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt, and cook,
stirring, until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, beer, and stock. Stir
well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the meat is tender and
cooked through, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top