Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 9:28:46 PM EDT
never had one, think it's time to give it a try
Don't need anything great big, it's just two of us for the most part. Something easy to use would be best for me.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Pellet smoker I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Traeger. Buy once, cry once.  Wish I'd done it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Green Egg (or similar) grills, smokes and bakes.  Some of the best money I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
never had one, think it's time to give it a try
Don't need anything great big, it's just two of us for the most part. Something easy to use would be best for me.
Thanks
View Quote

What are you looking to spend, and what all do you want to do on it? What fuel source do you prefer? Propane, Charcoal, Pellets, Electric

A dedicated electric smoker is pretty easy to use and it only takes a couple wood chunks to produce a good smoke.  A pellet grill is good at smoking but they are not sealed up tight like an electric smoker. They are constantly burning pellets, but that is also what produces the heat.  Pellet grills also struggle to get to high temps for a good sear on a steak.

I use a 18.5 Weber WSM its is pretty easy to smoke with once you get the hang of it so you know how it reacts to adjustments.  I don't have any problems throwing a 10-15 lit birquets on a pile of unlit coal, assembling it, throwing the meat on and going to bed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
look up ugly drum smokers on bbqbrethren.com.  I built one and have since had 7 friends build them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends if you want to buy or are a touch handy.  It doesn't take much.

Google Alton Brown's Trash Can smoker;  simply uses a new metal garbage can and an electric griddle from a good will store with any cheap pan to hold your soaked wood chucnks/chips.

Secondly you can make an UDS easy enough.  find an open top 30 or 55 gallon drum.  For your needs the 30 is perfect if not big.   If you can drill holes you can make one.  I bought a pit barrel smoker and it works good but I'm still learning on it.

Another one you may already have is a Weber Grill.  Tons of people smoke on them, just bank your hot stuff to one side and your food to the other.  

My mistake with the PBS/UDS is they don't go low enough to do fish the way I want to.  An electric would be ideal for that.    The UDS does ribs fine, it took me a few tries to get it where I want it.   I mostly do ribs but have also done chicken.  I wasn't happy with the chicken either, the PBS is too low in temp to get a good crisp skin.   I went back to the grill for chicken with the coals banked on the other side.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the ideas!
I use charcoal for grilling, I have been using a Webber kettle for a very long time. I've cooked about everything on a Webber that I think can be. I add in Cherry or Apple wood a lot and while it smokes I still think of it as a grill.
What I most want to do is make jerkey. I love the stuff. I made my own for years in the oven but thought it might be nice to try it in a "smoker" instead of the so's oven.
Would one of the electric ones be good for this? Of course once I have a smoker in sure it will get used to make ribs, brisket and the like.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a WSM 22" and it's tough to get low temp smoke. You can do this easily with a propane/electric unit and an Amaze-n-Smoke tube. Total kit can be had for under $200 I think for the two items.

I also have something else coming soon which I will post once I get my hands on it. You might be interdasted in that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
gonna toss out another mention for the weber smokey mountain. they come in three sizes and are easily modded. I use a dehydrator for my jerky, but I I have a wsm for my smoking needs. you could snap one up and then get a couple pizza screens and do your jerky that way. seeing as you're an established weber user, it wouldn't hurt to check out tvwbb.com and weberkettleclub.com, those two and the aforementioned bbqbrethren are my go to sites for grilling/smoking/bbq.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I started with an electric smoker from Lowes.  Used that for a couple of years until I decided to take a small step up.  Bought a Kamado Kooker from Amazon and have been using the heck out of it.  Lowes/Home Depot sells them too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Cabela's pellet grill. It's a rebranded/improved Camp Chef. Super easy and makes tasty BBQ
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh..  spend more if you can.  Current production Traeger are pretty rough compared to pretty much anything else on the market.  Checkout pelletheads.com

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Get an egg.
I have propane, charcoal, pellet, and egg.
Get an egg
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get an egg.
I have propane, charcoal, pellet, and egg.
Get an egg
View Quote

I have a Smokey Mountain and plan to convert it over to pellet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
gonna toss out another mention for the weber smokey mountain. they come in three sizes and are easily modded. I use a dehydrator for my jerky, but I I have a wsm for my smoking needs. you could snap one up and then get a couple pizza screens and do your jerky that way. seeing as you're an established weber user, it wouldn't hurt to check out tvwbb.com and weberkettleclub.com, those two and the aforementioned bbqbrethren are my go to sites for grilling/smoking/bbq.
View Quote

Ditto.. couple it with a controller of some sort (such as the DigiQ) and you have a kick ass smoker... did a few slabs this weekend and the DigiQ is truly the game-changer - pellet convenience without the pellet issues.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't go wrong with the Weber Smokey Mountain. I have the 22 and the 14. I recently did a 20 hour cook on my 22 and barely had to touch it. It holds steady at 228 with no problems at all. Very easy to use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Google Alton Brown's Trash Can smoker;  simply uses a new metal garbage can and an electric griddle from a good will store with any cheap pan to hold your soaked wood chucnks/chips.

Secondly you can make an UDS easy enough.  find an open top 30 or 55 gallon drum.  For your needs the 30 is perfect if not big.   If you can drill holes you can make one.  I bought a pit barrel smoker and it works good but I'm still learning on it.

Another one you may already have is a Weber Grill.  Tons of people smoke on them, just bank your hot stuff to one side and your food to the other.  

My mistake with the PBS/UDS is they don't go low enough to do fish the way I want to.  An electric would be ideal for that.    The UDS does ribs fine, it took me a few tries to get it where I want it.   I mostly do ribs but have also done chicken.  I wasn't happy with the chicken either, the PBS is too low in temp to get a good crisp skin.   I went back to the grill for chicken with the coals banked on the other side.
View Quote

An arfcommer told me making a smoker out of a galvanized steel trash can is not safe.  

I use a Pellet Pro.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Build it yourself.  Will take pics of one we welded up at work for a training exercise.   We had a couple summer work studies that wanted to learn how to run some tools.  So we drew up parts in cad, programmed and cut parts on waterjet, used bandsaw and angle grinder with cutoff blades to cut the pipe, then welded it up with a mig welder.  A lot of learning went on that week.  

We got all the metal from a scrap pile except some hardware like bolts, hinges and handles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

An arfcommer told me making a smoker out of a galvanized steel trash can is not safe.  

I use a Pellet Pro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a Pellet Pro.

It's possible but I don't see how it could be an issue;  the temps are too low to cook the steel can and the food isn't in contact with the galv can.   Now if you breath the fumes from welding or torching a can now you are putting yourself at serious and permanent risk.  

The AltonBrown garbage can smoker had the hot stuff in an electric skillet, the food on a weber grill rack borrowed from a round grill, and the can merely held the smoke.   In a few uses the inside would be layered in oily soot anyhow.   But I get your concern.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]
What about an Ugly Drum Smoker?  I've heard lots of good things about them, though I will admit I have no personal experience with them.  I'm thinking about building one, but I have no clue where to get a food safe 55 gallon drum.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Meh..  spend more if you can.  Current production Traeger are pretty rough compared to pretty much anything else on the market.  Checkout pelletheads.com

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. I have a year old Traeger and although it is nice and all that - I am just not satisfied. I ordered a rec tec yesterday after seeing one at a buddies house.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the WSM 18in. It will run all night on about 16lbs of charcoal, pretty much set it and forget it, I can get the temp between 225 and 250 with only the vents. Works great for pork butts and ribs and brisket, I hope to get a kamodo style cooker one day tho. Longer cook times on a load of fuel and better temp control when its cold out,
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a weber smokey mountain on clearance from Walmart last month on a whim.
I love it.
I haven't stopped using it since I got it.
Was about to buy a Pit barrel smoker or build a UDS but just happened to see the WSM at Walmart.
I had an electric smoker, I don't think I'll ever use it again.
I'll probably buy an egg one day but until then, the WSM is the best $100 I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#24]
wood fired, indirect heat fire box (a good fire box helps a lot to control temperature), heavy gauge steel construction to hold the heat better, temperature gauge.

Smoking meat with a wood smoker is a super reason to sit outside, drink beer.  That fire needs tending or you will ruin the meat

You don't have much of an excuse if you use other types of smokers
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a pellet smoker/grill and I love it.

Unless you buy a very high dollar unit it won't replace your charcoal/gas grill but it will handle most outdoor cooking handily.

The problem with pellet smoker/grills is that they usually can't develop high enough temperatures to sear, which is why you still need either a high powered gas grill or a charcoal grill to get the heat needed to sear.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I went all-in and bought a Yoder pellet smoker. Built like a tank, has the ability to direct grill/sear and cold smoke.Outstanding temp control.I've never heard a Yoder owner say they wish they'd gotten something else.

ETA: Yoder ownage on Page 2!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top