Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 1:21:41 PM EDT
So i have been using the 3,2,1 method to pork ribs and they are ok  but they are literally too fall off the bone.

I want them to be tender and come off the bone but i would like a little bite to them. You cant even cut them into ribs because the meat just falls apart under a knife..

any other good methods out there that yall could suggest?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My baby backs get a 2-2-1 treatment (225).  Spares get a 3-2-1 (225).

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Skip the 3-2-1 method, just rub them down and put them in the smoker at 225 for 5-6 hours for spare and about 4 hours for baby back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skip the 3-2-1 method, just rub them down and put them in the smoker at 225 for 5-6 hours for spare and about 4 hours for baby back.
View Quote

About right except go 250* 4 hours for all ribs.

I did this shit for a living.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy any brand of pellet grill.  Follow a Traeger recipe.  Perfect ribs every time.

Posted at 4:51, now is 5:00.  

This thread reminded me I had to start a pork butt for tomorrow.  I started my pellet grill, took the butt out of the frige, salted and peppered, and put it on.  That is how difficult a pellet smoker is to use after a days work.  That quickly, it is on, in five more minutes it will be smoking at 250F, and I have a fresh beverage.

A pellet grill/smoker truly changes your life.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy any brand of pellet grill.  Follow a Traeger recipe.  Perfect ribs every time.  

This thread reminded me I had to start a pork butt for tomorrow.  I started my pellet grill, took the butt out of the frige, salted and peppered, and put it on.  That is how difficult a pellet smoker is to use after a days work.  That quickly, it is on, in five more minutes it will be smoking at 250F, and I have a fresh beverage.

View Quote

I use a Traeger. Not the best smoker but holy shit is it care free cooking
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll give my Traeger(big Tex 075) credit for opening up my mind on some of the possibilities to what can be done on an outdoor cooker. But, I wanted more, so I built myself an ugly drum smoker and started using it along with lump. I cook outside year round and usually between 2 - 4 times a week and found that my Traeger had been sitting idle for months while my family and I enjoyed the food coming off of the UDS. My wife gave me a Primo oval xl for my fathers day/birthday gift and the Traeger had become unloved and no longer had a place on my patio, so I sold it to my neighbor for $100. It's just as easy to use the UDS or primo on week nights as it was to use the Traeger. I just light the lump as soon as get home, then go work on the food prep while the temp comes up on the grill.

OP, I tried the 3 2 1 method a couple of times and got the same results as you did. I think it's easier to just throw the ribs on and let them go nice and slow until they are done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys.. I got a pair of baby backs the Mrs brought home last night.. Will throw them on when i get home and see how we do.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
3-2-1 is aguidline not actual time, on my smoker ( lang 60) i run 2.5- 1.25/1.5- 45 mins/hr ( i have even let the last hour go in the holding box) until you get them where you want, get a notepad and write down what you do. Adjust the times until you get results you want
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No need to wrap

Dry rub. I smoke mine at around 275. They aren't as fatty as say brisket or shoulder and don't benefit from the super low temps as much. Cooked 2 racks last weekend over cherry wood and lump in 3 hours. I cook on a knockoff egg (Vision)

They are tender enough to easily bite into and eat the meat but not chewy or tough. Your single bite easily pulls off the bone but the rest of the meat doesn't come with it.

That's how ribs are supposed to be. Most people, including restaurants, over cook them.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My baby backs get a 2-2-1 treatment (225).  Spares get a 3-2-1 (225).

View Quote

I was just going to point out that baby backs and spares are a bit different.

I did my baby backs in 3 hours in a barrel smoker a week ago.  2.5 would have been perfect.   In fact when I went to sauce them the meat hook pulled through the top ribs.   Pit barrel has the ribs hanging vertically on hooks.   Works well but I have to try some other wood flavors besides mesquite.   I actually like a combo of hickory and oak smoke.  I forgot to save some apple wood when I trimmed my apple trees.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't wrap ribs.  And I have taken to doing them a bit hotter and faster than what is generally considered ideal for 'low and slow'.

Wrapping them just makes the outside mushy and the inside 'steamed'.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No need to wrap

Dry rub. I smoke mine at around 275. They aren't as fatty as say brisket or shoulder and don't benefit from the super low temps as much. Cooked 2 racks last weekend over cherry wood and lump in 3 hours. I cook on a knockoff egg (Vision)

They are tender enough to easily bite into and eat the meat but not chewy or tough. Your single bite easily pulls off the bone but the rest of the meat doesn't come with it.

That's how ribs are supposed to be. Most people, including restaurants, over cook them.

View Quote

Pretty much exactly what I do.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
You sure your cook temp is accurate?
That's 1 nice thing about a pellet grill, I can keep temps within a couple of degrees of set point for hrs
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No need to wrap

View Quote

Yep.  250 - 275.  No foil.  Spares take longer than back ribs.  Judge doneness by meat pullback on the bones and the bend test.  No advantage to cooking at 225.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I do with my spare ribs and I think they turn out perfect in terms of tenderness. Still working on my dry rub though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll play.

My newish toy:

Ribs going on:

After 3 hours at 275 degrees using hickory and pecan wood:

After 3 hours and 55 minutes at 275.  Done.

I will say they were a tad overdone but darned good.  Forget that 3,2,1 nonsense.  These were spareribs and were done after about 3-1/2 hours at 275 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to be a big 3-2-1 fan, now I just throw the slabs on the smoker @ 225-250 for 5 hours.  Honestly, they're just as delicious and I save an hour as well as a lot of foil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used to be a big 3-2-1 fan, now I just throw the slabs on the smoker @ 225-250 for 5 hours.  Honestly, they're just as delicious and I save an hour as well as a lot of foil.
View Quote

Me too the foiling part is unnecessary
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't really need to wrap them, I spray them with apple juice
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I was having that problem, I stopped wrapping them...overdone problem solved
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Kamado Joe

4.5 - 5 hours at 250 for St Louis Style Ribs

Ribs are done when meat is shrunk back 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch from end of bone.

If you want to mop your ribs mix 1 cup of apple cider Vinegar and 3 tablespoons of rub you used on the ribs. Baste every hour if you want to but you don't have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top