Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Whats in the enclosed and locked cabinet? Almost looks like spices.

Seems like that would need more than 24 people. But you mentioned having cleaning people, so I guess things like that help out a lot.

Do you actually cook very much any more, or do you mainly do manager stuff?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
the cage in the walk-in has a bunch of naked juice smoothies in it.  the cages in the kitchen have all kinds of stuff, spices, booze, everyone's tool boxes, attachments for our huge mixer, a kitchenaid mixer, stick blenders of various sizes, squeeze bottles, other various smallwares.  

we have a stewarding department that does all of the cleaning, food running, and fetching of things.  if we need plates, bowls, shot glasses, etc i just get on the radio and ask for whatever and they bring it.  if i need equipment cleaned or the floor swept and mopped, i get on the radio.  speed racks?  get on the radio.

i don't do much cooking these days and per the union contract management isn't supposed to cook at all.  i order the food, sometimes put it away, make prep sheets, go to meetings, supervise the cooks, check out the various parties and make sure everything is set up right.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally? One time I left a pan of osso bucco in the oven overnight. The cooking liquid was the best ever, but the shanks had absolutely zero flavor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was your worst kitchen disaster ?

Personally? One time I left a pan of osso bucco in the oven overnight. The cooking liquid was the best ever, but the shanks had absolutely zero flavor.

and now I have to go to the store to make shanks or short ribs
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That is totally impressive. Both the facilities and the volume you do.

The neatest thing about working in a multi-venue, high-volume food service is that nearly anything you can think of - to create a dish - is on hand in one form or another.

Dere's money in dem banquets - but I don't wanna work in your scullery pit.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The neatest thing about working in a multi-venue, high-volume food service is that nearly anything you can think of - to create a dish - is on hand in one form or another.

View Quote

my kitchen did $51 million in revenue last year for a profit of $36 million.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's really impressive. I have eaten a LOT of hotel banquet food at conferences. While I understand (in a vague way) some of the difficulties  of high-volume cooking, I still always dreaded the food at any convention-size hotel, even the really nice hotels.

Even if it was pretty, it was just never very good.

None of it ever came close to your food if yours tastes even half as good as it looks.

Thank you for sharing.

View Quote

we did a duo plated dinner tonight.  sous vide ny strip and sous vide butter poached lobster tail, parsnip puree, roasted baby rainbow carrots, and sauteed spinach for 550 people. we don't do the stereotypical shitty banquet food.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was your worst kitchen disaster ?

shanks all the way.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's impressive too! Are you the E Chef?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, i just help run the banquet kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok so you cook like that for your job/career.

Do you cook "normal food' at your house when your off?

Or, do you cook like that for EVERY meal you eat?

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm guessing your recipes are proprietary, but I wanna know your secret to a good parsnip puree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's really impressive. I have eaten a LOT of hotel banquet food at conferences. While I understand (in a vague way) some of the difficulties  of high-volume cooking, I still always dreaded the food at any convention-size hotel, even the really nice hotels.

Even if it was pretty, it was just never very good.

None of it ever came close to your food if yours tastes even half as good as it looks.

Thank you for sharing.

we did a duo plated dinner tonight.  sous vide ny strip and sous vide butter poached lobster tail, parsnip puree, roasted baby rainbow carrots, and sauteed spinach for 550 people. we don't do the stereotypical shitty banquet food.

I'm guessing your recipes are proprietary, but I wanna know your secret to a good parsnip puree.

cook them in butter and cream, put them in a blender and add some of the butter/cream mixture and puree until smooth.  its best to run the puree through a fine sieve or tamis. season with salt and white pepper and add a little dessert spice (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) if you'd like.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok so you cook like that for your job/career.

Do you cook "normal food' at your house when your off?

Or, do you cook like that for EVERY meal you eat?

View Quote

it depends on what the wife wants, but its usually steaks, grilled chicken, scallops, shrimp, grilled veggies, pork tenderloin, polenta, risotto.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Who made the macaroons?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Why the hell does fancy food always have tiny ass portions? I didn't want "fun size" I wanted food.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Meh.  

This is all I need OP, and I am almost never hungry.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who made the macaroons?
View Quote

we have a pastry shop that does all of that sweet stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why the hell does fancy food always have tiny ass portions? I didn't want "fun size" I wanted food.
View Quote

i don't know what your previous experiences are, but when we do plated meals they're at least 3 courses, if not 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who made the macaroons?

Want me to show them how to pipe them nicer and make them shiny and smooth?

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who made the macaroons?

nah, there's a reason why the pastry shop is all by itself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's just very different. 200 covers for a restaurant, depending on the menu and kitchen design, can be difficult. I have no desire to work in a restaurant kitchen anymore.  I get a lot of satisfaction out of high end, high volume cooking.  Like next Friday we'll be doing a plated dinner for 500 that includes sous vide butter-poached lobster and NY strip. And the amount of money I get to spend on food can be staggering, until you do the math and see how much money is actually brought in.  The bean counters just finished our budget and forecast for next year. We're looking at bringing in $55 million in F&B for my department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow, that is a truly impressive set up. I love the kitchen at the restaurant I'm currently at but I have no illusions about it being a true high volume kitchen, 200 people a night and keeps us very busy.

It's just very different. 200 covers for a restaurant, depending on the menu and kitchen design, can be difficult. I have no desire to work in a restaurant kitchen anymore.  I get a lot of satisfaction out of high end, high volume cooking.  Like next Friday we'll be doing a plated dinner for 500 that includes sous vide butter-poached lobster and NY strip. And the amount of money I get to spend on food can be staggering, until you do the math and see how much money is actually brought in.  The bean counters just finished our budget and forecast for next year. We're looking at bringing in $55 million in F&B for my department.

thats awesome! it's funny I love working a restaurant kitchen, I like the challenge of putting out my best work, again and again as quick as I can, it's done amaxing things for my skills. it helps having an awesome group of people in the kitchen and out on the floor a well, this is the first restaurant I've ever worked in where the kitchen crew and the FOH crew get along and like each other.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#25]
May I have some soup?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#26]
holy hell am i hungry now
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Folks like you give me faith in this country. People who are simply at the top of their field, who can charge what they want, because the customer knows damn well that it's worth it! Carry on, good sir.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
May I have some soup?
View Quote

my saucier is making 5 gallons of conch chowder tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Folks like you give me faith in this country. People who are simply at the top of their field, who can charge what they want, because the customer knows damn well that it's worth it! Carry on, good sir.
View Quote

having 1,000 rooms right on the beach and over 200,000 square feet of convention space helps.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Well my wife and I have been meaning to take a weekend getaway and stay at the Diplomat for about a year now....may need to get on it now after seeing all these pics! Plus I'm only like 10 minutes away lol
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Can you make me a ham sandwich?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

i think so.  do speck and prosciutto count?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

YES Yes YES!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think so.  do speck and prosciutto count?

YES Yes YES!

then yes, i can make a sandwich.  there's a sandwich pic on page 1, but its house-cured pork belly, not speck or prosciutto.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#37]
pic dump:

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Remind me not to check your updates before I've had breakfast, since I was already hungry before I clicked, and am now really famished, and I now want all of that delicious-looking food and not a lame bowl of cereal.  

What is the corn-on-the-cob coating? It looks like parmesan cheese, but I know that can't be right?
And what are the squares of what looks like raw salmon on the white "spoons"?

Also, your fish pics reminded me of my unprepared foray into "fine" dining...way back many years ago I was a sheltered small-town 16 yr old who was lucky enough to go on a school trip to Paris. Paris! Our first day there, jet-lagged and starving, pretty much fresh off the plane and a long trek through the Metro to drop off luggage at a small hotel, our French teacher took our little group out to a nice French bistro for an early "dinner" (really breakfast for our inner time settings) and, completely exhausted and defeated by the French menu, I ordered fish, hoping for a simple filet. What I got was an ENTIRE FISH, staring up at me from the plate with a cloudy cooked eyeball and gaping mouth.  

I had no idea how to handle it or what to do, and watched in misery as all my classmates ate their meals, identifiable and easily handled slices of meat, etc,, while I stared at that stupid fish not knowing how to get at the meat properly. Attempting to cut into the side, where I estimated part of a "fillet" should come from, netted me nothing but some flakes of flesh and a mouthful of tiny bones. (I had never been fishing, and had not the faintest idea how to bone a fish, let alone how to de-bone a cooked fish.) It was a horrible non-meal, made worse by my being a self-conscious teenager who was too intimidated to ask for help and lacking the self-confidence to order something else (besides being hampered by a language barrier and just flat-out exhausted and overwhelmed to boot!). It's a funny memory to me now, but it was not a good moment for me then.

So what is the proper way to handle a future fine dining establishment order of fish, if it comes out staring at me from the plate? (Besides singing a quiet little chorus of "Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads" under my breath while I stare back at it? )  I understand I am supposed to just cut the head off somewhere around the "neck" and push it to a side of the plate, while I then make some magical motion that pulls the entire little fish skeleton out, leaving me with a delicious fish dinner, but how is that done correctly? Hmmm...off to Google and YouTube, to see if someone has already provided an instructional video.

Thanks for the pics! And the trip down memory lane!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]
The corn is grilled them brushed with tarragon aioli and dusted with cotija cheese.

The stuff on the spoons is compressed watermelon infused with mojito, with goat cheese mousse and micro greens.  To compress fruit you use a cryovac machine and suck all the air out. You can add an ounce or 2 of liquid to infuse flavors (rum and pineapple, do it).

Those fish were for a carving station.  You can pull some of the bones out from the top after its cooked.  For service they take the skin off and flake portions off the top fillet, pull the bones out, then serve the other fillet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The corn is grilled them brushed with tarragon aioli and dusted with cotija cheese.

The stuff on the spoons is compressed watermelon infused with mojito, with goat cheese mousse and micro greens.  To compress fruit you use a cryovac machine and suck all the air out. You can add an ounce or 2 of liquid to infuse flavors (rum and pineapple, do it).

Those fish were for a carving station.  You can pull some of the bones out from the top after its cooked.  For service they take the skin off and flake portions off the top fillet, pull the bones out, then serve the other fillet.
View Quote

Thank you for the answer. I swear "watermelon" was my 2nd guess, but it was a bit too compact/solid/red and the blob of white creamy substance on the top kept reading as some sort of dill/aioli/tartar sauce to my uneducated eyes. The goat cheese mousse accent sounds delicious. I would have never thought of the cryovac/infuse-it-with-liquor that way sort of thing...that will really step up my next party's vodka-saturated/soaked watermelon standard a notch!

And I do like the idea of a carving station where a skilled person does all the real prep work for me, the hungry consumer; unfortunately I did not have that option presented to me back in that small Parisian bistro way back in the dark ages of the mid/late 80s...those darn Europeans just assumed everyone knew how to eat a "real" fish properly. (I did work for a catering company in my college days, but they relied on a tenderloin station and a baked seafood/crab salad type of dish stations for their fancier get-ups...not once did they ever do a whole cooked fish carving station, thank heavens, since I am pretty sure some cosmic god of "funny" would have stuck me on that thing having to stare at fish heads all night while I had to try to carve them up and serve the guests!)

Anyway, your "kitchen" pics are a cool reminder of a high speed version of a life I got to experience just a taste of many years ago...thank you! Moar delicious food pics when you get the time, please!

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#41]
we do a number of carving stations.  whole tenderloin, brisket, churrascaria (skirt steak, sausages, etc.), steamship round, prime rib, whole hogs, pork loin, whole snapper and grouper, pernil (mojo pork leg), turkey, salmon en croute, whole striploins.  other action stations we do include pasta stations, cuban sandwiches, risotto station, guacamole, elote (the corn pictured above), wagyu/crab cake/blackened chicken sliders, oysters, mac and cheese, salads made to order.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#42]
That all looks awesome !  
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Steam corn in husk with silk for 25 minutes then pull the silk off and grill the corn with the kernels directly on the grill grates. Steaming the corn first makes removing the silk way easier (comes off in one big clump) and shortens the time needed on the grill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey OP, how come the food is always cold at catered events like you do? How long does a dish sit after it leaves the heat until I am stuffing it in my piehole?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#47]
if the food is cold it was probably in a hot box that didn't work properly.  they're supposed to plug in and have a heating element, but they don't always work well.  we put sternos in the boxes and then listen to the banquets servers bitch about the pans be too hot for their sissy hands.  either toughen up or smarten up and use folded napkins to handle the pans.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#48]
It's so very Stainless...

Maybe try and break up the monotony with some granite?

But seriously, damn! I can't even imagine how you can cook that volume of food and have it all turn out so delectable!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's so very Stainless...

Maybe try and break up the monotony with some granite?

But seriously, damn! I can't even imagine how you can cook that volume of food and have it all turn out so delectable!
View Quote

Granite?  Hell no. Cooks are like Marines, they'll break and screw anything.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#50]
OP a very nice operation, I am assuming you have a core staff of experienced and loyal people? Are you dreading the crush of
Thanksgiving, that's when the few unprofessional people always ask for time,and take it no matter what. Best of luck with the coming
season.
 P.S. Are you in Miami Beach?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top