Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 6:15:53 PM EDT
Hey guys.
I just moved to a new apartment three weeks ago.

Last week I noticed two unexpired pacakges of cheese had quite a bit of mold. I thought it was just the brand and threw them out.

This weekend I thought maybe it was the temp of my fridge.
I bought two thermometers.

My fridge (on it's coldest setting) is currently hovering around 40 degrees.
My freezer is between 5 and 10 degrees.

Maintenance at my apartment says the fridge is fine. (they replaced the defroster over the weekend, but nothing has seemed to change temperature wise)

Two questions:

Is it fine?
And if not, should I throw out all the food that has been in there at these temperatures for the past 3 weeks?

Kind of paranoid now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What the cheese by chance Cabot?

Also, i prefer my reefer a few degrees colder ~35*f
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
At or below 40 is the recommended and IMHO, anything above 40 enters the danger territory. If your fridge is "hovering around 40" does that mean is varies from 38-42 or 38-40?

I prefer ~35 for my fridge, things seem to keep longer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At or below 40 is the recommended and IMHO, anything above 40 enters the danger territory. If your fridge is "hovering around 40" does that mean is varies from 38-42 or 38-40?

I prefer ~35 for my fridge, things seem to keep longer.
View Quote

Same here.  The crisper in the bottom is a little cooler.  At 40, opening the door frequently or for long periods of time isn't good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top