Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 11:14:13 AM EDT
Hi All,

First, this method works every time for me no matter how fresh the eggs are.
Place eggs in pot of cold water for 30 minutes or so then turn the burner on high.  As soon as the come to a boil turn off the burner and let sit for 5 minutes.  Then place pot in sink under running cold water and peel... perfect hard boiled.

This is only reasonable when I do a few eggs.  I otherwise buy the 90 count at costco and boil one flat (30) at a time.  When I do this I don't peel them right away and they may be in the fridge for up to a week.  When I try to peel the cold eggs from the fridge, it is impossible and I waste half the egg.

Is there a way to easily peel cold eggs?  I tried under water and under running water with no luck...

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Or mason jar with lid
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is there a way to easily peel cold eggs?  I tried under water and under running water with no luck...

View Quote

I hard boil a bunch at a time (15 minutes on the boil, then cold water) and keep them in the fridge until eaten.

To peel I tap them on the counter or whatever to get the shell nice and cracked all over and then peel under running water. Never had one that didn't peel easy. I've heard that older (not fresh) eggs will peel easier.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Let your eggs age in the fridge before you boil them. Older eggs peel better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let your eggs age in the fridge before you boil them. Older eggs peel better.
View Quote

We always do this and rotate.  They are usually 2 weeks old when we boil.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Use older eggs, so boil whats left when you buy another dozen.
2. Fill pot with enough cold water to cover eggs.
3. Bring to a rolling boil, then shut the burner off and cover*.
4. Leave covered pot on stove until it cools down to warm water.  This will be about 2-3 hours.
5. Remove eggs, and place in refrigerator to chill.

*If your stove retains heat, you may have pot to another burner.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had some luck putting baking soda (a little, a few finger pinches) in the boiling water.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I do it is I take out the number of eggs I want to cook and set them on the counter for a half hour or so. While they're sitting, I fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling I use a ladle or tongs to gently place the eggs in the water. Once the water returns to a boil I give them fifteen minutes then I take them off the stove, drain off the boiling water and add cold water to the pot and let them sit 15-20 minutes to cool. After that I just put them in a Rubbermaid dish with a lid (shells on) and put them in the fridge. Ever since I've done them this way I've yet to have any shell problems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Best way I've found is to not actually boil them. I steam mine and they peel perfectly just about every time. The age of the eggs seems to be less of an issue with this method although I have noticed that eggs that have been in the fridge for a week do slightly better. It's been the most reliable method I've found to consistently get eggs cooked the way I like and to peel easily.

Here is what I do:
Get steamer pot with an inch or two of water going to a full rolling boil. Steamer basket is inserted to preheat when water heats.
Place eggs in steamer basket and cover with tight lid - eggs should be in one layer and not touching the boiling water.
Steam for 9 minutes. (9mins gives me a creamy, slightly runny yolk which I prefer, go 10 for a cooked yolk if you prefer, longer for an even firmer yolk. Experiment on steam times to get your egg cooked the way you prefer)
Immediately take eggs out and submerge in ice water bath.
Allow eggs to fully cool.
I peel the eggs at the time of use. I store the cooked eggs in the shell in the fridge until ready to eat or use in a dish.

One great thing about this method is you can do 1 or a dozen eggs with the exact same recipe. You don't lower the temp of the boiling water by putting the cool eggs in the boiling water.

Here is a neat article about this same subject:
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/168-easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Best way I've found is to not actually boil them. I steam mine and they peel perfectly just about every time.
View Quote

BOOM!!  Tried this method tonight and it worked wonderfully.  Peeled 9 eggs in about three minutes and only one of them wasn't perfect.  

A source of regular frustration in this house is now a thing of the past.  Thanks for posting this method!
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to help. I was excited to discover the steam method as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you All for the input.  The egg shaking worked ok, but you have to shake them gently

I am going to try the steam method this morning...
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]
A tablespoon of vinegar in the water softens the shells and makes them FAR easier to peel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best way I've found is to not actually boil them. I steam mine and they peel perfectly just about every time. The age of the eggs seems to be less of an issue with this method although I have noticed that eggs that have been in the fridge for a week do slightly better. It's been the most reliable method I've found to consistently get eggs cooked the way I like and to peel easily.

Here is what I do:
Get steamer pot with an inch or two of water going to a full rolling boil. Steamer basket is inserted to preheat when water heats.
Place eggs in steamer basket and cover with tight lid - eggs should be in one layer and not touching the boiling water.
Steam for 9 minutes. (9mins gives me a creamy, slightly runny yolk which I prefer, go 10 for a cooked yolk if you prefer, longer for an even firmer yolk. Experiment on steam times to get your egg cooked the way you prefer)
Immediately take eggs out and submerge in ice water bath.
Allow eggs to fully cool.
I peel the eggs at the time of use. I store the cooked eggs in the shell in the fridge until ready to eat or use in a dish.

One great thing about this method is you can do 1 or a dozen eggs with the exact same recipe. You don't lower the temp of the boiling water by putting the cool eggs in the boiling water.

Here is a neat article about this same subject:
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/168-easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs
View Quote

I've found the real key to this is the immediate dunk in ice bath water after cooking. I read somewhere the cold makes the egg contract and separate from shell within. Most people I know cook their eggs differently but all have stuck to the ice bath method after they've tried it. It just works.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Steam method worked so far!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top