Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I had this for breakfast today.  (I ate mine before I could do a proper breakfast pic.)  It's funny because I gave my Belgian waffle maker away when I emptied the carbs out of my house.
Then I read this recipe and hit the Amazon website.  
I'm really impressed with how many keto-friendly recipes there are for the foods I love, and even more impressed with how damn tasty they are.
http://www.ruled.me/breakfast-cauliflower-waffles/
I would not be afraid to serve this to anyone that like Eggs Benedict.  In fact, I would wager money that they would prefer this version to the one with the high carb English Muffin.
Macros:  With the Eggs Benedict variation, the macros come out to be 565 Calories, 44.8g Fats, 3.5g Net Carbs, and 35.8g Protein per serving.
The recipe is at the link, and the ingredients are listed the bottom of the post.

Makes Two (2) Servings

Breakfast Cauliflower Waffles

• 1 – 1 1/2 cup Grated Raw Cauliflower

• 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese

• 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese

• 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (any variety will do, we love white cheddar)

• 3 Large Eggs

• 3 tbsp. Chives, chopped

• 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder

• 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder

• 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

• Salt and Pepper to taste

Eggs Benedict (Single Serving)

• 2 large Eggs

• 2 slices Prosciutto

• 2 tbsp. Hollandaise Sauce (Trader Joe’s Brand)

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I made pan-fried chicken wings over the weekend.

Cut the wings into drummettes and flappers, discarded the tips.  Some people keep them to make chicken stock.

I dried the wings and shook them in a gallon-size baggie with almond flour (8g carbs/7g fiber per 1/4C serving,) cayenne pepper, white pepper, a little garlic powder and salt.

In a large pan with a 50/50 mix of bacon grease and coconut oil heated to 375° (enough to cover the wings halfway) I cooked them for 3 minutes per side, then transferred the wings to a parchment paper-line baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven.  Cooked an additional 30 minutes, then drizzled with Frank's Hot Sauce (I don't like wet wings...)

They were quite good.  Crispy and juicy, with a little bit of graininess from the almond flour - not quite as good as AP flour and panko, but definitely workable.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Simple for me this week.
Spinach with rotisserie chicken. I used McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning, Montreal Chicken, but Weber's garlic herb is my favorite.

I use this. It comes with a little cage that can do just a few breasts or using the rods can do a whole large chicken.

http://www.amazon.com/Ronco-ST5000PLGEN-Showtime-Rotisserie-Platinum/dp/B00004RFQL

Not technically a recipe, but just goes to show how easy it is to eat simple and tasty food with little effort.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Simple for me this week.

Spinach with rotisserie chicken. I used McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning, Montreal Chicken, but Weber's garlic herb is my favorite.

I use this. It comes with a little cage that can do just a few breasts or using the rods can do a whole large chicken.

http://www.amazon.com/Ronco-ST5000PLGEN-Showtime-Rotisserie-Platinum/dp/B00004RFQL

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0241_zpsqbkefecw.jpg

Not technically a recipe, but just goes to show how easy it is to eat simple and tasty food with little effort.
View Quote

That looks like canned spinach.  

Also, I haven't been able to find good protein bars that don't also have a lot of carbs.  What are the carb/fiber numbers on those?

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also, I haven't been able to find good protein bars that don't also have a lot of carbs.  What are the carb/fiber numbers on those?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple for me this week.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0241_zpsqbkefecw.jpg

It was frozen spinach. It's meh, but better than anything else I had.

I live an hour from everything, so finding fresh stuff is hard.

Looks like LOTS of carbs.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quest bars.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quest bars.
View Quote

Gotta pick and choose.  Some are 4g net, some are 13g net.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quest bars.

4g net is pretty good, though, right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quest bars.

Oh yeah. 20 net is a decent goal  for most people
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quest bars.

That's my daily goal.  15-20 Net.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of why I have shredded fingers is from testing my glucose constantly.  I've kind of developed my own personal glycemic index.  I count net or whole based on the individual item. I'm such a geek
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had this for breakfast today.  (I ate mine before I could do a proper breakfast pic.)  It's funny because I gave my Belgian waffle maker away when I emptied the carbs out of my house.

I'm really impressed with how many keto-friendly recipes there are for the foods I love, and even more impressed with how damn tasty they are.

I would not be afraid to serve this to anyone that like Eggs Benedict.  In fact, I would wager money that they would prefer this version to the one with the high carb English Muffin.

Macros:  With the Eggs Benedict variation, the macros come out to be 565 Calories, 44.8g Fats, 3.5g Net Carbs, and 35.8g Protein per serving.

View Quote

Do you think I can do this in a standard ( small hole ) waffle maker?  I can't find the Belgium one that we own. I think it's in a storage container and it's a wall of boxes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quest bars.

That's the sweet spot for me too.  In another week ( after getting near goal weight and glucose levels) I hope to bump the carbs, solely for more variety with the vegetables.  I'm thinking about a small sweet potato with a slab of butter
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just found this PDF online. Seems helpful for those of us just starting out, esp wondering what to eat:

Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Duke University Medical Center
"No Sugar, No Starch" Diet

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88YnPJiqMBlTGROQmpNR2N1LUU/view?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple for me this week.

I like the Mission 1 Chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar.  21 Carb/17 fiber  21 protein, full nutrition info is here:

http://www.gnc.com/MuscleTech-Mission1-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough/product.jsp?productId=80663296

You can find them cheaper at Wal Mart though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do you think I can do this in a standard ( small hole ) waffle maker?  I can't find the Belgium one that we own. I think it's in a storage container and it's a wall of boxes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see why not, although it might cook faster.

I cooked mine in the Belgian waffle maker for about 8 minutes.  I tried stopping at 4 minutes because the outside looked done, but the inside wasn't done.  My waffle maker doesn't have a temperature control, so I said, "What the heck, let's see what happens."

Turned out really good, and the outside actually didn't burn at all.

I'd try 5 minutes in your standard waffle maker.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I like the Mission 1 Chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar.  21 Carb/17 fiber  21 protein, full nutrition info is here:

http://www.gnc.com/MuscleTech-Mission1-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough/product.jsp?productId=80663296

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple for me this week.

WAY too many carbs for a keto diet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are a few of us who have adopted the ketogenic lifestyle, or at least exploring it.

It's difficult to leave carbs behind, as so many good foods are high in carbs.

Share your keto-friendly recipes here!

I don't condone plagiarism, so if you've paid for recipes (like in a cookbook,) keep in mind that they're most likely copyrighted, and shouldn't be published here (I'm not going to debate the legality of altering a copyrighted recipe and presenting it as original - that's for you to decide.)

But there are a bunch of great recipes out there in the public domain, so if you've tried any that you found delicious, share them with the rest of us!

I'll start with a very simple thing I had for dinner last night.  Makes 1 serving.

4 oz. fresh tuna steak (Yellowfin is best.)
Chia seeds
Ghee

Pre-heat a cast iron or carbon steel pan on medium-low for about 10 minutes.
Put 2 Tbsp of chia seeds in the pan to toast them.
Add a high-temp 'good' oil like Ghee (clarified butter,) which has a smoke point of 485°.
Turn heat up to medium-high (about 425°)  You do have a laser thermometer, right?
Cook the tuna 1-3 minutes per side.  You want to coat the meat with the chia seeds and sear it, leaving the center to your taste.  Some like it raw, some rare, and some a little more cooked.  I did mine for 2 minutes per side.

I accompanied it with simple steamed brocolli.

Sauce:

2 Tbsp home-made mayo (I'm still experimenting with the home-made mayo thing.  The first batch I tried was good, but needs tweaking.)
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp heavy cream
2 tsp soy sauce.
1 tsp Sriracha

Blend with a stick blender.  Adjust soy sauce, Sriracha to taste.

I'm sure you have a cast iron or carbon steel pan.  Get a laser thermometer - they're cheap.  And get a stick blender - they're invaluable, and anyone eating keto needs to have one.  I mix things in a mason jar.  The stick blender needs to have some height to do its job.  Try blending in a shallow dish and enjoy the mess!

ETA - another tip.  To make the mayo, you'll want to add whey, which will extend the life in the fridge out to six months or so.

How do you get whey?  You first have to find unstrained organic yogurt.  I found mine at Publix Greenwise.  Then I used a folded up piece of cheesecloth in a fine mesh cone strainer and let the yogurt separate for about two hours.  You can refrigerate the whey, and use it for multiple batches of mayo. Then eat the yogurt!

There are probably other uses for whey.  Chime in if know any!

And for those of you who want to learn more, I suggest ruled.me.  They've been a great resource for me in the 7 weeks I've been keto-active.

View Quote

There is no copy rite for recipes ...
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fuck cans of boneless chicken...

Buy a rotisserie chicken (or two,) save the skins for cracklin', and shred the chicken.

FYI, one chicken yields about a pound of shredded meat, so you'll need four chickens for your recipe - which seems like a lot...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a crockpot four 12 oz cans of boneless chicken, One can of mushrooms, one teaspoon salt,  1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon onion powder, half a shaker container full of Kraft or any other brand Parmesan cheese and 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. Enjoy

Do not drain anything.  May add more whipping cream as needed.

Fuck cans of boneless chicken...

Buy a rotisserie chicken (or two,) save the skins for cracklin', and shred the chicken.

FYI, one chicken yields about a pound of shredded meat, so you'll need four chickens for your recipe - which seems like a lot...

Better yet just get leg quarters if possible.  Great deal on protein for the cost! m
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There is no copy rite for recipes ...

View Quote

I purchased a 30-day meal plan with recipes that may or may not be in the public domain.

I choose to respect the author's right to his/her income.

You do what you want.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#21]
eracer asked for a recipe, so here goes.

1 Spaghetti Squash
1/2 lb lean ground beef (or a whole lb if you like it extra meaty.. hurr hurr)
1 small container sour cream (like, 6 oz)
Cheese of your choice (i like colby jack)
1/2 onion
Green onions (amount as desired)

prep the spaghetti squash. I like to de-seed it, cut it up into a few pieces, microwave it in a pan with 1/4" water for 10 minutes and then bake at 400 for 35. That usually makes for perfect, shred-able squash.

Brown your ground beef, season with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt. Drain. Or don't... i know you keto people like your fats. I'll leave that up to you.

Mix together the cooked squash, ground beef, chopped onion, sour cream, and I'd say, oh, a cup of cheese. I cook for two so if you're cooking for a family you want want to double everything. Once it's all mixed together, put in a casserole pan, top with some more cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes at 350. It's just to get the cheese nice and gooey and the flavors steeped together.

Serve, top with salsa and a little sour cream if desired.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Didn't know about this thread and Dan wanted fat bomb info.  

I've made 3 fat bomb recipes and this one was amazing.  Totally tastes like an Almond Joy.  http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/healthy-chocolate-almond-joy-home-made-candy/

The recipe makes a lot but they keep for a long time in the fridge.  

Also, you know how people will say, "I served this and nobody even knew it was a healthy version"?  This right here.  If you need a dessert to serve but want to stay in your zone, I highly recommend this.  http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/05/low-carb-lemon-sour-cream-pie.html

I'm going to try the pizza recipe posted earlier.  I've made the Fathead pizza and I loved that you make an actual dough but that looks neat too.  

This is good and has a base similar to the pizza posted but with no down time for the cooling.  http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/taco_bake.html

I tried this and it was pretty good but too labor intensive to make for my family of 5.  Would be great for just 1 or 2 though.  Small portion but VERY filling.  Throw some chicken and broccoli in there and you may not be able to finish it.  http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-fettuccini-alfredo-low-carb.html
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#24]
^^^^^^^

Great stuff!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Made the ruled.me pizza last night. I might have messed up on the crust a bit. Didn't stick together like dough should and I had to bake it longer than they suggested and it still came out really soft.

Tasted great though so that's all that matters.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Made the ruled.me pizza last night. I might have messed up on the crust a bit. Didn't stick together like dough should and I had to bake it longer than they suggested and it still came out really soft.

View Quote

Iv'e been wanting to try that pizza.  Did you add the phsylium?  

Recently I fried some cheese ( Italian blend)  in a small pan.  Flipped it and added sauce, pepperoni and some spices.  It  was a nice fat bomb and tasted pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
eracer asked for a recipe, so here goes.

1 Spaghetti Squash
1/2 lb lean ground beef (or a whole lb if you like it extra meaty.. hurr hurr)
1 small container sour cream (like, 6 oz)
Cheese of your choice (i like colby jack)
1/2 onion
Green onions (amount as desired)

prep the spaghetti squash. I like to de-seed it, cut it up into a few pieces, microwave it in a pan with 1/4" water for 10 minutes and then bake at 400 for 35. That usually makes for perfect, shred-able squash.

Brown your ground beef, season with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt. Drain. Or don't... i know you keto people like your fats. I'll leave that up to you.

Mix together the cooked squash, ground beef, chopped onion, sour cream, and I'd say, oh, a cup of cheese. I cook for two so if you're cooking for a family you want want to double everything. Once it's all mixed together, put in a casserole pan, top with some more cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes at 350. It's just to get the cheese nice and gooey and the flavors steeped together.

Serve, top with salsa and a little sour cream if desired.
View Quote

That was a good reminder that spaghetti squash isn't too carb heavy, thanks.  What beef cut do you use?  Do you think sirloin is too lean?

Noticed your progress in another thread, congrats
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Recently I fried some cheese ( Italian blend)  in a small pan.  Flipped it and added sauce, pepperoni and some spices.  It  was a nice fat bomb and tasted pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Probably why it didn't work right. I couldn't find any though and didn't want to wait for Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nope.

Probably why it didn't work right. I couldn't find any though and didn't want to wait for Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been wanting to try that pizza.  Did you add the phsylium?  

Nope.

Thanks.  I couldn't figure why they added phsylium, I guess that's the glue.  We'll try it with phsylium and let you know how it works if you don't make another before we do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
The Fat Head pizza crust is excellent. I make it all the time. (ETA: If you can't eat almonds, you'd probably be okay leaving the almond meal out)
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/

pictured with cauliflower cheese sticks
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I made the FatHead last night with pepperoni and onion.  It was awesome.  I'm shocked it tastes that good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I'm going to have to try that pizza. Just found this thread today, was thinking about starting one.

I've been looking at the desert recipes here http://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/low-carb-desserts/
I've tried the peanut butter cookies but I overcooked them. They tasted like a hard peanut butter cookie, they'd be good slightly under cooked. I also made the white chocolate pecan fat bombs and they were pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The recipe is at the link, and the ingredients are listed the bottom of the post.

http://cdn.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/purplecauliflowerwaffles.jpg

Makes Two (2) Servings

Breakfast Cauliflower Waffles

• 1 – 1 1/2 cup Grated Raw Cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (any variety will do, we love white cheddar)
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 3 tbsp. Chives, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Eggs Benedict (Single Serving)

• 2 large Eggs
  • 2 slices Prosciutto
  • 2 tbsp. Hollandaise Sauce (Trader Joe’s Brand)

View Quote

Finally got around to making this today for lunch.  Both of us really enjoyed it and I retired to the couch purring like a kitten  It's a nice combination of ingredients and the chives provided a nice flavor.

Trader Joe's is an hour drive away so my wife made the Hollandaise .  I'll post the recipe when I see her this evening.

Thanks!

ETA:

The Source

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

3EGG YOLKS
1/4 cupwater
2 tbsp.fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup (1 stick)  firm cold butter, cut into 8 pieces ( Wife said 1/4 stick is better)
1/4 tsp.salt
1/8 tsp.sweet paprika
Dashpepper
Yields: about 3/4 cup

WHISK egg yolks, water and lemon juice in small saucepan until blended. COOK over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles at the edges.

STIR IN butter, 1 piece at a time, until butter is melted and until sauce is thickened. REMOVE from the heat immediately.

STIR in salt, paprika and pepper. SERVE immediately.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#34]
A couple of questions:

What are you using as a flour replacement for a roux or to firm up gravy?  I tried coconut flour in a onion and mushroom gravy last night and it had a gritty texture.

We enjoy meatballs or meatloaf during the work week because they both reheat well.  Are there any good substitutes for bread crumbs or panko?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A couple of questions:
What are you using as a flour replacement for a roux or to firm up gravy?  I tried coconut flour in a onion and mushroom gravy last night and it had a gritty texture.
We enjoy meatballs or meatloaf during the work week because they both reheat well.  Are there any good substitutes for bread crumbs or panko?
View Quote

I haven't tried a roux.  I would try almond flour.  But xanthan gum will firm up a gravy quite nicely.

I don't think there's a good substitute for a gluten flour, which is what you want for a proper roux.

For a bread crumb substitute, try grinding chicharrones (pork rinds) in a food processor.  Zero carbs.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/46uPMc9.png?1
View Quote

It takes a lot of mixing of the crust to get it to blend for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've made three of these in the last week, I've found that having the ingredients ready to add to the melted cheese mixture as soon as it comes out of the microwave is the key. Just use a good spatula and keep folding the mixture together. My family liked the pizza so much my sister is planning on starting the keto diet next week, she's running a race this weekend otherwise she'd have done it sooner. She's already read Keto Clarity, since Tuesday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Planning on trying this recipe this weekend.

Had to order some ingredients so I'm waiting on them.
Keto Peanut Butter French Silk Pie

3.5g Net Carbs per slice

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

3.5g Net Carbs per slice

http://www.tasteaholics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Silk-Pie-with-slice.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone have a good biscuit recipe? Saw the thread in GD and now I really want some.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good biscuit recipe? Saw the thread in GD and now I really want some.
View Quote

Haven't tried it but sounds good.
http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/almond-flour-biscuits/
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, I'll try that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.5g Net Carbs per slice

http://www.tasteaholics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Silk-Pie-with-slice.jpg

I made this yesterday, it's pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate so if I made it again I'd probably make some changes with less bakers chocolate and maybe more cocoa and heavy cream or something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They came out good didn't rise any though so I need to look into that. More like cheesy bread than biscuits so I'm going to find a recipe without the cheese.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

A couple of questions:

View Quote

I use a combination of cream and unflavored gelatin. Sour cream (most have guar gum or other thickener) can also work well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I use a combination of cream and unflavored gelatin. Sour cream (most have guar gum or other thickener) can also work well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple of questions:

That's a good idea.  I think I'll try some low carb swedish meatballs Friday.

I picked up some chicharrones yesterday and a bottle of xanthan gum should arrive today.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm finding that a good food processor is almost a necessity.

I had a cheap one.  Donated it to Salvation Army and bought a good Cuisinart model.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't have a food processor, and smashing pork rinds in a plastic bag to use for breading is a pain in the rear.  I will need to get one soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Hasselback chicken

Slice chicken breast cross-cut.  Slice 75% of the way through.

You can stuff it with just about anything.

Tonight I mixed:

2 Tbsp goat cheese

1 large paper-thin slice of Serrano ham, chopped coarsely

1 Tbsp finely diced shallots

After stuffing the slots...cover with grated cheese.

I used:

Smoked Gouda with bacon  

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes - check internal temp, should be 145.  Let sit for a few minutes to redistribute the juices.

Steamed broccoli with melted butter is a good side dish.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished dish, but it looked something like this.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hasselback chicken

Slice chicken breast cross-cut.  Slice 75% of the way through.

http://www.tablespoon.com/-/media/Images/Articles/PostImages/2016/04/week1/2016-04-08-pesto-hasselback-chicken-1.jpg?la=en

You can stuff it with just about anything.

Tonight I mixed:

2 Tbsp goat cheese
1 large paper-thin slice of Serrano ham, chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp finely diced shallots

After stuffing the slots...cover with grated cheese.

I used:

Smoked Gouda with bacon  

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes - check internal temp, should be 145.  Let sit for a few minutes to redistribute the juices.

Steamed broccoli with melted butter is a good side dish.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished dish, but it looked something like this.

https://smilingnotes.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/hasselbackchicken.jpg?w=631&h=528

View Quote

Aren't you supposed to cook chicken to 165? I'm going to try this recipe, looks delicious.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top