Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 8:59:54 PM EDT
No, not on toast.  In toast.

In Iraq, in 2011, our DFAC had been run by the Brits.  There was no French toast for 9 months.  But they would fry bread w/ an egg in it.

Tried it last night, ended up w/ delicious fried bread, w/ a fried egg stuck to one side, which was definitely not what I was trying to achieve.

Did they leave the bread overnight in the fridge w/ the egg sitting on it, and it soaked in overnight?  B/c it certainly didn't do that while I was busy frying the bottom of the bread before I flipped it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's called egg in the nest

Punch out a circle in the middle of the egg. Put in pan, crack the egg in and fry.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty simple to make. Take a slice of bread and a glass and use the rim to cut a circle in the toast. Butter your pan pretty good, get the butter pretty hot but don't burn it. fry the toast in the pan for a bit and then crack an egg in the circle. Flip it depending on how you like your egg done. I like mine really runny. Don't forget to fry up the circle you cut up also, it's great for cleaning up any yoke that's left over
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Called "Toad in the Hole"
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  It's called egg in the nest

Punch out a circle in the middle of the egg. Put in pan, crack the egg in and fry.  
View Quote

Hole in the bread, or the egg?

I guess I don't remember the hole.  I'll see if I can do it tomorrow night.

Room service came by when I was back for lunch and said,"Oh, this is the room that smells like french fries!"

I've been pan frying steaks & onions about every night.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Room service came by when I was back for lunch and said,"Oh, this is the room that smells like french fries!"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It's called egg in the nest

Eggies in a basket, or toadies in a basket (what my mom always called it).

Butter up your bread slice and throw it in a hot skillet. Take a glass with a mediumish opening and press it through the bread. Move the cut out hole to the side of the pan, you get to eat that before the rest is ready.

Crack an egg into the hole in the bread. Salt and pepper. Let it cook for a bit until it firms up a bit, flip the bread over. I like the yolk to be a little runny so it soaks into the bread.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the name I know it by.  

Just use a lot of butter to fry it in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't know about all the names,

Called it eggie in a basket.

You can use Pam in place of butter if you need to. Trick is to heavily coat every side of the bread slice.

Butter is better of course.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullseye omelette. It's sometimes called "Toad in the hole " but that is actually something entirely different.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've always heard it called "Hobo Eggs" - maybe the name is regional or era based.

Anyway it's awesome and tasty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It was tasty.  Used too small of a hole, however.  Will remedy that next time.  Thanks for the help, all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife just chimed in and said her folks called them, One Eyed Sailors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread needs more mouth watering pics

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
We called them Pop eyes.   Still eat them today.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. I grew up asking for an 'egg in the nest' every morning.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Needs more bacon
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toad in the hole is a Brit dish...Yorkshire pudding filled with mashed potatoes, topped with a couple of sausages and smothered in onion gravy.  Served with mashed peas.

It's my British truckstop restaurant meal of choice.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pretty simple to make. Take a slice of bread and a glass and use the rim to cut a circle in the toast. Butter your pan pretty good, get the butter pretty hot but don't burn it. fry the toast in the pan for a bit and then crack an egg in the circle. Flip it depending on how you like your egg done. I like mine really runny. Don't forget to fry up the circle you cut up also, it's great for cleaning up any yoke that's left over
View Quote

Yep, this.  A staple when I was coming up.  Grandmother used to take some of yesterday's bacon, crumble it up and toss it in the hole on top of the egg before it stared to cook-- the bacon bits cooked into the egg
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
We always called them 'egg in bread'.

Pretty much like listed above, cut hole in bread, butter both sides, spray pan with pam or butter, put bread in pan, crack egg in 'hole', flip once when browned.

Enjoy.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was fishing for a living we called them heavy weather eggs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Birds nest
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
So for a variation on this....

Make 2 of these with some butter in the pan.
Once the eggs firm up a bit, flip them to toast the other side in buttery goodness.
Add some cheese on top of one. Freshly shredded is best, but use what you've got.
Proceed to make a grilled cheese out of them.

Made this a few weeks ago. Really good & pretty filling.

Should be good with bacon added, still need to try that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Egg in toast is the perfect drunk food.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Egg in toast is the perfect drunk food.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you mean curry on fresh chips.  From the chippy.  That's open after last call.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you mean curry on fresh chips.  From the chippy.  That's open after last call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Egg in toast is the perfect drunk food.

I mean if that's available...
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or Toad in the Grassy Hole as my daughter likes it.  The grassy part is just hash browns on top of the egg/toast, then the toasted round part on top.  Slather up in Tapitio and chocolate milk on the side, she's a happy camper.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I love it. We smoke pulled pork then do a hole in top and bottom pieces of bread and slam it all together with some bbq and a slab of cheese for a protein bomb
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#28]
My mom called it "egg in a hat"....

Asked for it all the time, loved it...still make it!

I cut the hole out with a knife, butter in pan, bread and bread hole go in, crack egg into hole, salt pepper, cook till firm enough to flip...fmore butter and flip, so second side gets nice and buttery and fried...

Like others, I like it with the yolk soft, sop it up with the hole piece....
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I make it all the time.  Don't have the pan too hot, punch a hole in the bread with a shot glass, butter bread, place in pan, crack egg into the hole.  Flip when it's ready.  Mine always turn out perfect.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#30]
First time I saw that was in the Movie Moonstruck 1987

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top