Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 12:02:27 AM EDT
So I picked up this Europiccola because my old espresso machine OBVIOUSLY wasn't old enough and had too many electrical parts on it. This one dates from 1972 and these are the sellers pics.  The guy had a Buy it Now of $22 and $55 shipping from Italy... so I impulse bought it. I have been lusting over these lever machines for years but the $400 price tags always put me off. so far i'm into this one for a about $200, $40 for gaskets, the sight glass was $10 and the filter basket was $14. $20 for a pressure gauge and I had to buy a 110 plug.

Got it all cleaned and sealed up and it works fine, though it takes a little longer to warm up on 110V instead of 220V. Unfortunately I am still waiting for the filter basket to make my first coffee.

So who else is using a lever espresso machine? Any tips/tricks or advice?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I just use a DeLonghi EC702 15-Bar-Pump machine.  Works pretty well.

What beans do you use?

I make espresso from Jamaican Blue Mountain, Papua New guinea Peabury, Lavazza super Crema, Some Indonesian and a Portuguese blend called Nicola.

for sugar I really like La Perruche Pure Cane Rough Cut Cubes.

http://www.amazon.com/Perruche-Pure-Rough-Cubes-lb-10-50z/dp/B007O58268?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I want a super-automatic machine. That looks like a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Both types of machines are finicky.

I'm very happy with my Estro Vapore machine now nearly 20 years old. The brand is now Saeco. The self adjusting portafilter works every time no matter what the grind.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a really nice Saeco, but there's a leak somewhere now and i haven't had the time or patience to tear it down and fix it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, that's pretty cool. I haven't been lusting for one of those but at that price I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, were you able to find a source for the drip plate and the La Pavoni brand for the front? Whatt about the porta-filter handle assembly? Was it included?

They still make machines like that and brand new they are horrendously expensive. Well over a grand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They still make machines like that and brand new they are horrendously expensive. Well over a grand.
View Quote

Unfortunately, well over a grand really isn't that outrageous for even a semi-automatic machine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, were you able to find a source for the drip plate and the La Pavoni brand for the front? Whatt about the porta-filter handle assembly? Was it included?

View Quote

Nope on the portafilter assembly, I bought a used cafeletta... and I have the plastic drip plate on there... eBay has the stainless drip plates but $35 plus shipping =no way.

No emblem for the front either.... all I've done is replace the sight glass and added the pressure gauge, but it's completely unnecessary once you learn how to use the machine.

I use a local roaster I found for my coffee www.bostoncommoncoffee.com,  his roasts are lighter than most... really good stuff.

Eta, I also picked up another newer version locally that came with 2 portafilter assemblies . but is a complete mess, looks like it's never been cleaned... that was $75

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top