Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 6:33:51 PM EDT
I have only tried making fried chicken twice and both times it didn't turn out as I would hoped.

What method of cooking are you guys/girls using?  Recipes....also does which oil used make a big difference?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Alton Brown Pan Fried Chicken

This is fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Have to use Cast Iron to get that great crispy crust.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Was thinking about getting a decent deep fryer.  No turning and easier to get temp. right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have just given up. Huge mess and never could get it right, coupled with the stuff from our grocery store is not bad. A deep fryer probably would be the way to go. To me a big problem is chicken pieces are huge these days, especially the breasts which throws off all the other pieces cooking times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have just given up. Huge mess and never could get it right, coupled with the stuff from our grocery store is not bad. A deep fryer probably would be the way to go. To me a big problem is chicken pieces are huge these days, especially the breasts which throws off all the other pieces cooking times.
View Quote

Buy a whole chicken.

Cut that bitch up.

Fry it and consume.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]

The trick is having a skillet deep enough to allow for enough oil to cover the chicken pieces 1/2 way. Moderate heat (360-ish) turning frequently to prevent the breading from scorching.

I like to bread fried chicken by rolling it in flour, dipping it in buttermilk with an egg or two beaten in, then rolling it in seasoned flour. I also like to use peanut oil...and don't forget to make cream gravy for the smashed taters.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The trick is having a skillet deep enough to allow for enough oil to cover the chicken pieces 1/2 way. Moderate heat (360-ish) turning frequently to prevent the breading from scorching.

I like to bread fried chicken by rolling it in flour, dipping it in buttermilk with an egg or two beaten in, then rolling it in seasoned flour. I also like to use peanut oil...and don't forget to make cream gravy for the smashed taters.

View Quote

So....two passes thru the seasoned flour.  sounds good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Was thinking about getting a decent deep fryer.  No turning and easier to get temp. right.
View Quote

The drawback to using a deep fryer for fried chicken is you don't have all the browned breading bits in the bottom of the skillet to make gravy.

Fried chicken without mashed spuds and cream gravy is...well it's just wrong.

I have a Cuisinart deep fryer, but I don't fry chicken in it. It's for French fries, oysters for po' boys and onion rings.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is by far the best I've ever had.

http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/fried-chicken-recipe.html
View Quote

Cant read the recipe.....covered up by ads on both sides of page.

ETA:  Fixed it.  Recipe looks good.  Will try it soon.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Stagger the pieces cooking times. You caint put all 8 pieces in the skillet at once anyway. It cools the oil off and yer chicken will be greasy.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. Flour, egg wash/buttermilk, flour, oil. Don't try to fit it all in the skillet at once. The oil gets cooled down and the chicken gets greasy.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is by far the best I've ever had.

http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/fried-chicken-recipe.html

It pretty much the same way I do mine, but I don't presoak mine in buttermilk. The rest is all the same.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And THIS

/thread
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Sous vided until cooked through then breaded and fried at high heat for just a few minutes until crispy brown.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Egg and milk wash, flour works as dredge but house autry chicken breader is better. Enough oil in cast iron pan to fry, then lay em in it. Never followed any recipe, this is just how grandma does it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The drawback to using a deep fryer for fried chicken is you don't have all the browned breading bits in the bottom of the skillet to make gravy.

I have a Cuisinart deep fryer, but I don't fry chicken in it. It's for French fries, oysters for po' boys and onion rings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you make the gravy? Dump the oil then what, chicken broth?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would dump the oil and then deglaze the pan with some stock or even a little white wine and use that as a base for your gravy.

I usually just wing the gravy with some stock, butter, flour and seasoning.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is fantastic!
View Quote

Done this before with good results.  Get a good fry thermometer, its the best thing I ever did for frying.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Done this before with good results.  Get a good fry thermometer, its the best thing I ever did for frying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fantastic!

The spice shake along with the buttermilk soak is fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sous vided until cooked through then breaded and fried at high heat for just a few minutes until crispy brown.
View Quote

I'm a big proponent of sous vide cooking, but I've yet to find a method for chicken where I have been happy with the results. What kind of temp/time combination are you using?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a skillet you just pour off most of the grease, make a roux and add milk. It's basically a Bechamel sauce, but with the chicken breading sucs and seasoned flour.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I have tried a number of times to make fried chicken at home but have never had any real success at it.

I've tried Alton's pan fried method using a Ci skillet and I've also tried deep frying it using a CI dutch oven.I've tried peanut oil and other types of oil but no joy. I think the issue I'm having is maintaining the proper temperature (this is one of those times when having an electric stove sucks)

One of the weird things that happens with mine, the first batch comes out looking OK but every batch after that comes out looking dark and almost burnt looking?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
You are correct, Sir!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm a big proponent of sous vide cooking, but I've yet to find a method for chicken where I have been happy with the results. What kind of temp/time combination are you using?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a dark-meat and wings guy, so I sous vide to make dark meat and wings their tender best. That means in the water bath at 160-165 degrees for 2.5 hours. Then, ice it to cool it off and either finish it the next day or right away by breading and frying at 375-400 until the breading gets a medium brown. This does not take long. If you are doing breastesses, 145 for 1.5 hours seems to work fine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wonder if your oil may be getting too hot and burning the bits of good stuff floating around from the previous batch?  Especially if you're using cast iron, 'cause it holds heat like a mofo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have tried a number of times to make fried chicken at home but have never had any real success at it.

I've tried Alton's pan fried method using a Ci skillet and I've also tried deep frying it using a CI dutch oven.I've tried peanut oil and other types of oil but no joy. I think the issue I'm having is maintaining the proper temperature (this is one of those times when having an electric stove sucks)

One of the weird things that happens with mine, the first batch comes out looking OK but every batch after that comes out looking dark and almost burnt looking?

I wonder if your oil may be getting too hot and burning the bits of good stuff floating around from the previous batch?  Especially if you're using cast iron, 'cause it holds heat like a mofo.

I've had that happen before, I just thought it was because we did 3 breasts on the first batch and only 1 on the last, and the oil was too hot for just 1 breast alone. Quintin may be on to something though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is how I know to make it.

I don't ever make it though. Like once in the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've had that happen before, I just thought it was because we did 3 breasts on the first batch and only 1 on the last, and the oil was too hot for just 1 breast alone. Quintin may be on to something though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could very well be? Like I said, controlling the temps on a electric stove (even with CI) isn't all that easy (for me anyway?). Adjustments to the heat are not very responsive. I know that was an issue when I tried deep frying in a DO. I used a thermometer with that one and watched the temps take a dump when the chicked was added so I adjusted the heat to get it back up and within a couple of minutes the temp was way over. It was just a roller coaster ride from there.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, it's a  pain to fry over electric.

Pickle juice also makes a great marinade. It's what they use at Chik-fil-A if you like theirs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Could very well be? Like I said, controlling the temps on a electric stove (even with CI) isn't all that easy (for me anyway?). Adjustments to the heat are not very responsive. I know that was an issue when I tried deep frying in a DO. I used a thermometer with that one and watched the temps take a dump when the chicked was added so I adjusted the heat to get it back up and within a couple of minutes the temp was way over. It was just a roller coaster ride from there.

View Quote

I absolutely hate my electric stove top.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I absolutely hate my electric stove top.
View Quote

I agree. I'm renting now so I don't have any choice but my next house WILL have a gas stove and a real friggen exhaust hood vent!

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Just made some this weekend.

Dipped in milk, then rolled in almond flour/meal and fried in a cast iron pan of coconut oil.

My God! It was amazing - and super-healthy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top