Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 5:46:08 PM EDT
On a whim I bought this last week in the Asian market.   That's how I roll with food experimentation.   (I do better with the labels in English)

Seasoned soy bean paste has a (red) peppery flavor with an almost cheesy nuttiness like parmesan cheese or aged provelone.  I love that sharpness on the palate.  I might slather this on toast in the morning and put poached eggs on top.  

The fermented soy bean paste is in the dipping sauce with fish sauce, red pepper flakes, green onion, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.  It rocks.  

Tonight's dinner;  
Korean BBQ chicken (http://rasamalaysia.com/korean-bbq-chicken-recipe/2/)
home made kimchee
pickled daikon and carrot
cucumber kimchee

ETA- OK, I screwed up a touch.  I have SSamjang which is made with the dwenjang.   My bad.  Either way, the charcoals are heating up!

heck it's all home made.  You can't buy this stuff in most places except maybe the cabbage kimchee.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some of this next.

It's not bad 'straight', but mix in a little chopped onion (white and green), some soy sauce, a bit of minced garlic and it becomes delicious.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
that's good stuff!  

I tried that a couple years ago to make my kimchee paste mix.  I also used a whole lot of it making Korean street chicken.  Basically a friend chicken in rice and potato flour and then slathered with a sauce that is mostly that red pepper paste.   You know you've had it then!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. I've been watching the "Korean Food made Simple" show on the Cooking Channel, some interesting recipes. She did a visit to the place they make this stuff, some of it is fermented for years and years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
OMG that was delicious.  The BBQ chicken recipe is pretty basic until you put the Ssamjang on it.  I swear you could put that o a dirty shoe and it would be delicious.

Made too many banchan though.  (That's the Korean side dishes ie kimchee, cucumber kimchee, daikon, cured mung beans etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top