Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I used this red curry recipe tonight and it was great. Reducing the half cup of coconut milk with the curry paste and then adding the chicken to simmer made a big difference, which I had never done before.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife is Sri Lankan. They also make curries but they're different than Indian. She uses Shan pre-mixed curry powders from the Indian grocery stores, but adds a can of Chaokoh coconut milk and a can of water to a wok where she has stir-fried onions, garlic powder, any meat of her choice (shrimp is her favorite) and any other veggies that strike her fancy. Simmer over medium heat till thickened, stirring often.

Serve with Basmati rice or (my favorite) a flaky Malaysan pastry-like bread called a puff paratha (browned in a med-high skillet until it puffs up, hence the name). Roll up and dip in the hot curry. Damned good eating!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thai coconut-milk curries are best curries.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I love curry.

My wife sprinkles a little bit in with her seasoning blend and it is great.

I make a great curry chicken.

I like curry with noodles also.

I need to learn how to make a spicy green curry sauce.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I love curry and masala.

Neither of us are from Central or Southeast asia but we like those styles, mostly Indian. We make our own, the restaurants are atrocious around here as they are in most cities and states.

Luckily for me my SO makes it, haha..

We do mostly true to vedic style curries, masala dishes. Vegetarian and no garlic or onions, use asafoetida/hing. absolutely the best.

Occasionally we do chicken.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I use this stuff:

https://smile.amazon.com/MaeSri-Curry-Soup-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00JHGS8AC/ref=sr_1_15_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469127446&sr=8-15&keywords=curry+soup

Both the red and green are good.

There is a curry paste in a can available too.

Starting with pan frying meat, I add garlic and oil (coconut palm oil works best.)  Brown that, then add bunch of veggies (usually cabbage plus a trip to the salad bar for a variety), dump in 2 cans of this soup and simmer.  Start cooking after the rice is done.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thai curry paste is great.  You can use fresh kafir leaves, lemon grass, chilies, etc.

I make green curry chicken with basil, fresh got peppers, coconut milk and bamboo shoots.
View Quote

This. I just get the red curry out of a jar and use lime zest instead of kafir. Fry it off in a little oil for a few minutes.

Use it as the base for massamun curry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have always like curry dishes but laltely have been trying my hand at cooking some of the various styles like...

Indian
Chinese
Jamiacan
Thai

Anyone like to cook curry?
View Quote

Love it, and the nod for me goes to Indian Curries.  Chinese and Thai have been blah in comparison when I tried them.  I have not had a chance to try Jamiacan curry.
I got some Thai curry since this thread started.  Granted it was from a truck run by Two Thai ladies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Love it, and the nod for me goes to Indian Curries.  Chinese and Thai have been blah in comparison when I tried them.  I have not had a chance to try Jamiacan curry.
I got some Thai curry since this thread started.  Granted it was from a truck run by Two Thai ladies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have always like curry dishes but laltely have been trying my hand at cooking some of the various styles like...

Indian
Chinese
Jamiacan
Thai

I don't know where you've been eating Thai Curry, but made properly with red curry paste and coconut milk it is very flavorful, not blah.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know where you've been eating Thai Curry, but made properly with red curry paste and coconut milk it is very flavorful, not blah.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indian
Chinese
Jamiacan
Thai

The one I had was yellow, similar to Chinese take out curry and wasn't all that impressive.   I would like to try a nice red curry.
ETA and I wasn't looking for heat or anything to "impress" me, just some deep flavors.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
LOVE curry. I've made yellow oriental curry from canned curry powder, Japanese curry from the little cube things, and recently bought some red and green curry pastes off Amazon and made Thai coconut curry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thai curry paste is great.  You can use fresh kafir leaves, lemon grass, chilies, etc.

I make green curry chicken with basil, fresh got peppers, coconut milk and bamboo shoots.
View Quote

That sounds delicious
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top